Olala!

Olala! is Paco’s (formerly Paco’s Pizza) new restaurant which opened this week.
“Contemporary French Cuisine” yet not overly pricey for the quality of food / service you get there.

Some menu items.

Appetizers:
Salmon tartar $310
Grilled vegetables $240 (zuccini, red peppers and eggplant with pesto)
Tuna or Beef Carpaccio $290
Grilled chorizo $210
Merguez (sausage on couscous) $250

Entrees:
Pan fried foie gras $690
Cote de veau (veal) $620
Pan friend scallops $580
Lambchops $650
Lobster linguini $520
Pasta dishes (seafood, chorizo, cheese) $350 to $390
Live Canadian Lobster $1200

Desserts:
Chocolate mousse $160
Crepe flambe with Gran Marnier $180

Paco is considering having an all-you-can-eat Lobster Night, after the tank gets going (so lobster’s not available just yet). And he’s not advertised either as he says he’d prefer to slowly build clientele via word of mouth.

So word from MY mouth is this is delicious food, in a pleasant atmosphere that won’t hurt your wallet if quality dining is a priority for you.

Address: No 371 Section 4 Renai Road.
It’s lane behind one of those big bank buildings (Fubon?)
Phone: 2773-9577

OK, but will the French food pass the Fred Smith test?

I doubt even the discerning palate of Fred Smith would be disappointed by Olala! fare.
:wink:

Alien’s right; this is the stuff that even Alain Ducasse would give a nod to if he’d been living in Taipei for a few years. Nice to see foie gras that doesn’t leave you pennyless. Olala leaves the big hotels’ French Restaurants in the dust for its fine dining with lack of pretention. Check it out; you’ll enjoy!

Bump.

Went there with the Mrs for an anniversary dinner yesterday. Happened to also be recommended by another Forumosan but took awhile to get there.

I’d have to say that I’m sorry it took me so damn long to get there. This restaurant serves great food. Giorgios? It’s got nothing on Olala. If you’re in the neighborhood, go to Olala’s instead.

We had the foie gras and veal (lamb chops) set meal. Came with soup, salad, dessert. Also had the house wine which was superb. Service was great and accommodating. Menu had many varieties and the wine list was quite complete. Beer, quality stuff, mostly Belgian fare which should please a few folks here.

Tab came out to be less than what me and the Mrs had at Giorgios but with a much better dining experience.

It belongs on the Food Club restaurant to visit list :thumbsup:

Got to agree with you there YC. I took the girlie for her birthday this time last year. Excellent food and service.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]
I’d have to say that I’m sorry it took me so damn long to get there. This restaurant serves great food. Giorgios? It’s got nothing on Olala. If you’re in the neighborhood, go to Olala’s instead.[/quote]

You finally made it there, eh? You young whippersnappers. :stuck_out_tongue:

One of my favorite restaurants in Taipei.

This one’s top of my list. Some say it’s pricey, but if you’re with a group of three or four, Paco will wip your up a five course feast for $1000 with pretty much anything on the menu. His taste in wine is great, as well. He takes a lot care in seeking out affordable wines that are outstanding in taste. You really don’t have to look much further than whatever the housewine is for that time, since it will be fantastic. The service is good, as Limey mentions; they’re attentive to detail, but remain as unobtrusive as possible. It’s a great place for an mellow evening of great food with friends But hey, I’m biased: I’ve been eating his cooking since long before he ever had a restaurant! :slight_smile:

:bravo: Exactly.

Just walk in and sit down. Tell Paco what you like and leave everything up to him to decide and then sit back and enjoy. The only place in Taiwan that I can trust to correctly/perfectly pair wine by the glass with each course. I like to mix and match and that isn’t possible with places that have limited house wine selections.

Paco can prepare just about anything you want at anytime. You don’t necessarily have to order off the menu. (don’t tell him I said so)

There are many things I could say, and if you’ve seen what I have posted before you know I can be verbose.

So I will double quote Citizen K (re-read it).

However, I would go on for hours but that would probably tire you. So I will only say one word - GO!

And go now. Trust me. If nothing else I have posted makes any difference, at least listen to me now. I will personally guarantee your meal if Paco is cooking. FULL STOP.

Mmmm. I can almost taste the fois gras. Do I need an excuse to go back?..let me see…mmmm…It’s Christmas…that’ll do. :wink:

Maybe Ill take the girlie when she gets back of tour.

L. Great food makes me :slight_smile: :notworthy:

It’s really a great place. Wonderful experience and I’ll be looking for a time/reason to go back there again soon. I’m very surprised this place hasn’t had more sound on these forums.

[quote=“Alien”]Olala! is Paco’s (formerly Paco’s Pizza) new restaurant which opened this week.

Address: No 371 Section 4 Ren’ai Road.
Phone: 2773-9577[/quote]

OK… this is NOT helpful at all.

That address is wrong. I went to the lane behind the Fubon Bank bldg where Mr. Paco’s restaurant is and OLALA is not there.

Where is this place?

[quote=“Tigerman”][quote=“Alien”]Olala! is Paco’s (formerly Paco’s Pizza) new restaurant which opened this week.

Address: No 371 Section 4 Ren’ai Road.
Phone: 2773-9577[/quote]

OK… this is NOT helpful at all.

That address is wrong. I went to the lane behind the Fubon Bank bldg where Mr. Paco’s restaurant is and OLALA is not there.

Where is this place?[/quote]

Sorry Tigerman,

The address is right. I have his business card in my hand. I remember that I couldn’t find it too.

Thanks for responding, Limey.

But… but… but… I went to Section 4 Ren’ai Road and there was a big apartment complex that was numbered 357 - 386 or something, and there was no 371?

I also went to the lane behind the Fubon Bldg where the Mussel Shell and Mr. Paco’s Pizza used to be (and where Mr. Paco’s still is). OLALA wasn’t there.

Can you tell me where the above address is located? Is it on Ren Ai Rd or is it in a lane?

Good things are hard to find…sorry to hear you had trouble, Tigerman.

It is #371 Jen-Ai Rd Sec.4, which is the same big apartment building that you were looking at, but it’s around the back of the building - in the same lane as Giorgio’s and almost directly across. How this can still be assigned a Jen-Ai Rd address is a question that someone in city planning would be hard-pressed to explain…

The easiest way to find it is to get to the corner of Jen-Ai and Yenji Gie, walk north to the first lane and hang a left; look for the blue and white sign by the road, because the restaurant is actually set a little back behind a court yard. Hope you try again, Tigerman; if you have any trouble, just give them a call: 2773-9577

Happy dining,
CK

Citizen K beat me to it.

It’s worth the hassle to find Tm. Enjoy.

Thanks guys!

We’ll give it a try soon.

Olala is doing the “set menu, no choice, higher price” bullshit for Valentine’s Day ($3000 for two). Guess I’ll give it a miss.

DB, speak to Paco directly; I’m sure he’ll be able to do something to fit your needs if the set doesn’t interest you; he’s pretty helpful that way. Btw, if memory serves, last year’s Valentine’s meal was 5 courses and included two glasses of champagne, coffeeand dessert, so at $3000, it’s not what I’d call terribly expensive. :wink:

Thanks; but I’ve already made other reservations. I’ll be sure to try Paco’s place soon – I’ll just pick another day, rather than asking for an exception. As for the $3k for 2 people, that’s just a bit above my budget right now… Anyway, thanks for the info!