Olala!

Anything for vegetarians? This place sounds great, but foie gras and veal are a little too … cruel for my tastes. :s

I usually get a cheese sandwich when in France - hoping Paco can do better than that for me. :wink:

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Anything for vegetarians? This place sounds great, but foie gras and veal are a little too … cruel for my tastes. :s

I usually get a cheese sandwich when in France - hoping Paco can do better than that for me. :wink:[/quote]

Well, he makes his own vegetable soups; one of my favorite is the gespatcho he sometimes makes in the summer, followed by a pumpkin-carrot bisque that he’s been experimenting with lately. Of course, you can find salads and pastas. He’s also pretty good at putting a menu together on the spot, based on what he has fresh that day, so you may just want to stop in and see what he can come up with that night; you won’t be disappointed!

It’s not too hard to find, just behind the building, not right on Ren Ai Road. Very unbusy, food was nicely presented, bread was warm, played great music. First time I tried Nicoise salad. Ech. Bottle of Hugel, nice.

Total was just over $4000. Two hours meal, decent service. Worth going back just for the gewurtz.

:noway:

[quote=“914”]It’s not too hard to find, just behind the building, not right on Ren’ai Road. Very unbusy, food was nicely presented, bread was warm, played great music. First time I tried Nicoise salad. Ech. Bottle of Hugel, nice.

Total was just over $4000. Two hours meal, decent service. Worth going back just for the gewurtz.[/quote]
Holy schmoe! Please tell me it wasn’t just for two people.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“914”]It’s not too hard to find, just behind the building, not right on Ren’ai Road. Very unbusy, food was nicely presented, bread was warm, played great music. First time I tried Nicoise salad. Ech. Bottle of Hugel, nice.

Total was just over $4000. Two hours meal, decent service. Worth going back just for the gewurtz.[/quote]
Holy schmoe! Please tell me it wasn’t just for two people.[/quote]

It is worth it. That price included a bottle of wine, correct? It has been a long time since I looked at the menu, but I think the set with appetizer, soup/salad, main course, dessert, and coffee is around $1,300. I feel that is reasonable for the quality you get. I usually just have Paco plan a menu and it is always great.

It was, but! the Hugel was $1700, I believe. Add $1000 per set and add on 10% service. I’m 'fraid so.

If I remember correctly, Louis XVI, next to Mykonos on Si Wei Road tasted better than Olala (sorry, thread!). But that was a long time ago. I think I should go back to Louis just to do an up-to-date comparison. I remember it cost ~$3700 for THREE (no bottles though).

With French food though, I always expect it to cost an arm and a leg outside of France. At my fave French restaurant in Vancouver, Lumiere, we once paid just over $500 CDN for four people. I think there were two bottles of wine involved. And I’ve done that sorta thing three times there. I just tell myself over and over: money grows on trees…money is not an issue…it’s all just pocket change…and the meal becomes rather enjoyable. :s

Damn Frenchies and their expensive food.

They carry some good, reasonably priced wines, as well. I’d recommend the Ardeche Chardonay, (had some earlier tonight), or the Corbiere in the red. Both go for about $1000 a bottle and are great pours. Their wine fridge has some hidden surprises that are not found on the carte-de-vin, so be sure to ask if they have any recommendations.

CK

Ate there by myself a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself – soothing civility. Today for lunch, brought a few colleagues to try it out, (thanks to Secretary/Admin week). Best deal in town for lunch, hands down. My colleagues also really enjoyed the food and setting. Too bad it’s so damn far from all the places I usually hang out :frowning:. I suppose I must reconfigure my travel routes…

Thank you Paco.

Just how great is the deal?

Just how great is the deal?[/quote]

Typical Taiwanese business set lunches can be had between NTD 180-300 depending on what you want. Olala’s was around NTD 300-500 depending on what you wanted (Duck Confit was NTD490). For his soup or salad, entree, ice cream and coffee/tea, that to me is a fabulous deal based on quality and price. I had the pan fried Dore fish. So tender and flaky.

My colleagues raved about the food and was very happy I took them there. Apparently they’ve heard of the place but never tried it.

Consistent quality.

I am very pleased with this restaurant of late. It has finally found its niche when it comes to the dishes and cooking style and I love the Bali feeling that you get in this place. Very very nice. The cod that I had the other night was stellar. First rate. In the same category as revered restaurants like Chianti, Paris 1930 among others. Excellent!

I think it has really improved as well. I’ve been twice in the last month after having been disappointed when it first opened. The new (?) Tapas menu includes probably the best hummus in town and the house wine is excellent.

New at Olala!

Olala! is proud to introduce an exciting new range of fresh pasta and sauces produced at our very own factory. Come and enjoy ravioli, rigatoni, capaletti and a variety of other fresh pasta in combination with sauces such as carbonara, bolognaise, spicy chorizo, pesto and many more. Prices range between NT$300-400 a serving.

This complements an already extensive tapas menu including beef carpaccio, calimari with harisa sauce, fresh hummus with oven-baked bread, salmon ceviche, escargot in chorizo butter, foie gras croquettes and many more, each for NT$200 a serving. All available with our longstanding menu of main courses and the best paella in town.

Come and enjoy a meal and stay for the spicy rhythms of Salsa night, every Saturday. Thurdays features Salsa Practicas, hosted by a different instructor each week and focussing on different elements of the style. Both begin at 10:30pm and are NT$200 incl. of a beverage. Sangria, red or white wine, cuba libre, g/t, or one of our many fine Belgian beers.

Finally, Olala! is proud to announce a very special night of tango, Friday, November 17th featuring a very special Milonga beginning at 8pm to complement your dinning experience. Come and experience a night of the romantic rhythms of Argentina along with some of the finest food in town.

Reservations and inquiries at 02.2773.9577

These pasta’s are awesome, and cooked to perfection. Brought some business colleagues over there a couple of weeks ago for dinner and they raved about it. Never disappointing at Olalas :bravo:

Benzo will be DJing salsa on Saturday nights starting November 18th. In my book, she is the best in town.

Hello friends,

Just a short note to say that Olala! will be hosting a New Year’s Eve party to say thank you to all of our loyal customers and all of the dancers that come out to our Tango and Salsa nights. Music will be varied from Cuban, to Argentinian, to fusion and more. An eclectic evening to ring in the new year. No cover, just order some drinks at the bar! Hope to see you there.

We had our first dinner at Olala tonight, and were not disappointed! We were very pleased to see Paco again (having last met him long ago at Mr. Paco’s Pizza) and to meet citizen k at long last. (Gotta have a happy hour on weekends sometime so he can get out and meet the rest of us!) We had the paella, which was excellent – I have no doubt that it will rank the best in Taipei.

We’ll be back for sure! :slight_smile:

New at Olala!

Set of the week:

Sweet pepper soup (perfect “warm-you-up” for this ghastly weather!)
Gorgonzalla gnocchi (a fragrant sauce atop fresh potato gnocchi)
Steak / frites (red meat! carnivores rejoice! :wink: )
Panacotta (new to our menu, the classic Italian dessert)
Tea or Coffee
$900

This, to complement our existing menu and selection of fresh pastas from our factory.

Tango continues tonight from 9pm. Come enjoy a selection of music by our rotating roster of milonga hosts/hostesses.
Salsa tomorrow, dj Benzo brings the heat and rocks the house starting after 10pm. Entrance for each is $250 incl. a drink.
I’ll be at the bar, so come by and say “hi!”.

Salsa continues Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays where Daphne, Jessie and Maggie lead practicas for beginner/intermediate levels, starting from about 10pm. These lovely ladies lead the class, teaching new moves and reviewing the basics, so if you want to get your caliente groove on, this is your chance to do it! Entrance $300 incl. a drink.

Res. & Inq. at 02.2773.9577

Best,
CK

Update, went there this past Monday night during salsa night. I’d forgotten about the dance schedule.

They’ve brought back Paco’s famous pizza officially on the menu. The pastas continue to just rock on. Had platter of hummus, baba ganoush and pâté (couldn’t get enough of it!) with bread. Newly redecorated and like the touch. Very nice. Left really stuffed.

Nice crowd of salsa dancers too.