Old Claire Chennault Statue in Taipei 2-28 Park

Interesting. Where did you find the photo?

Way cool…wish there was one of Vinegar Joe.

Chewie’s bugbear Chen Shui-bian moved it to Xinsheng Park in the late 1990s. Not sure if it is still there.

I was there the day they moved it, I thought they were going to melt it down to make ashtrays for the Lifa Yuan.

They had it strapped to the back of a blue truck and I actually stopped the truck to ask them.

never seen it, I’m only in 228 park at night, on me jack jones, smokin a fag.

Founder of ‘Flying Tiger’ unit honored

[quote=“Taipei Times”]It was that American spirit of friendship and sacrifice that led Major General Mike Tien (田在勱), Wing Commander of the 401st Tactical Combined Wing (TCW), to establish a museum devoted to Chennault’s memory on his base in Hualien.

“We were recently awarded a grant worth US$100,000 to renovate an already existing museum [on the base], and I wished to recreate it as a memorial to General Chennault,” Tien said.

On July 19, [2006,] with the approval of the Taipei City Government, a bronze bust of Chennault was relocated from a Taipei park to the 401st TCW Museum, which was officially opened to the public yesterday amid much fanfare.

“General Chennault’s statue is home now,” Tien announced, misty-eyed, at a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the museum. “[The 401st TCW] will take care of him now.”

The ceremony was attended by Chennault’s wife, Anna Chan Chennault (陳香梅) in addition to three former Flying Tigers and other US dignitaries. In her speech at the newly christened museum, Chennault called Taiwan her “home away from home” and bestowed on the museum a letter penned by US President Dwight D. Eisenhower singing the praises of the Flying Tigers.[/quote]

I read somewhere it’s the only statue of a foreigner in Taiwan.

There must be several more, at least. Dr. Mackay, for one. To say nothing about the likes of Zheng Chenggong.

There must be several more, at least. Dr. Mackay, for one. To say nothing about the likes of Zheng Chenggong.[/quote]

Yeah it stands to reason, don’t think they meant Koxinga or Jiang Zhong-Zheng though :slight_smile:

There is a statue of Hatta Yoichi at the Wutou Reservoir in Guantian, Tainan. Hatta designed the irrigation system that transformed agriculture in Tainan and Jiayi Counties.

There must be several more, at least. Dr. Mackay, for one.[/quote]
Yeah, there’s a Mackay statue in Danshui, so I understand.

There’s also a bust of Frederick Coyett in one of the buildings at Anping Fort, IIRC.

[quote=“Chris”]There’s also a bust of Frederick Coyett in one of the buildings at Anping Fort, IIRC.[/quote]There is indeed. Just down the road at Fort Provintia (now Chikanlou) there is also a statue of a pretty weedy looking Dutchie offering his surrender to the masterful Koxinga. Not sure if that counts though.

Someone with a more argumentative temperament might also be tempted to mention Chiang Kai-shek, Sun Yat-sen, Lin Sen, and many others from that country over the water… :whistle:

[quote=“Taffy”]

Someone with a more argumentative temperament might also be tempted to mention Chiang Kai-shek, Sun Yat-sen, Lin Sen, and many others from that country over the water… :whistle:[/quote]

Honestly, :unamused: Those guys aren’t from The Philippines.