Old Pictures of Taipei

If I manage to get hold of them I have pictures from 1985 not so glamorous as this but still interesting. I think I’ve got some of some club pics , fields in Nei Hu, and some bizarre stuff. They are in a box in England, molding away I guess.

2 Likes

I just found a twitter account dedicated to restoring color for old photos of Taiwan.

https://twitter.com/oldtwcolor

Some of my favorites so far:

An image around early 1940s, before the war came to Taiwan’s shores. Shot in present day Taipei 228 memorial park.

Santa showing up in 1940’s Tuā-tiū-tiânn (大稻埕). Not sure why he’s wearing a red Zorro mask.

A Tsou woman. That head dress is so common in old photos of Taiwan. It’s worn by most coastal Pingpu Aboriginals and plenty of Aboriginals living in more remote places as well. However, when you look at today’s representation of traditional aboriginal clothing, this head wear never shows up.

You think today’s Suhua highway is rough? That’s how it was in the 1930s.

8 Likes

from the same twitter feed. Fort Zeelandia, circa 1871. Photo taken by John Thomson.

2 Likes

this is an amazing find

1 Like

My friend from the US just sent me this. Apologies if it’s already been posted.

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

More of these colorized old photos. Maybe we are getting these now because of neural network? These time from John Thomson’s 1870 trip.

3 Likes

check out those flags

8 Likes

The old-school Axis of Evil…

2 Likes

the weird places in history colonialism has taken Taiwan…

On the bright side, we’re doing pretty damn well considering the way things could have turned out.

2 Likes

6 Likes
3 Likes

Looked so much better in 1960!

3 Likes

Saw this on Reddit today. Has probably been posted before. But posting it again can’t hurt. :slight_smile:

We’ve come a long way in the past 90 years or so.

4 Likes

Whatever you want to say about Taiwan, when you consider how far it’s come in essentially the last 50 years, you can’t but be impressed.

1 Like

just 80 years before the filming of that video, some guy escaping from pirates hid there and decided to open a store, the first store in the area.

3 Likes