Old Pictures of Taipei

Great, will watch it tonight.

Make that “risking his life riding a scooter to work teaching English in a cram school”.

What’s the name of this building?

While riding a scooter in Taiwan is hardly safe, teaching special needs kids in a cram school is more like a tour of duty on hamburger hill. I once knew a teacher, let’s call him “Timmy.” Six foot tall and 200 pounds, not that it helped him. The assistant teacher left him alone for a few minutes in a classroom of six-year-olds and when she returned all that was left of “Teacher Timmy” was a sticky ball, some bones, shreds of clothing and half a toupee. “Yeah yeah,” civilians who haven’t taught cram school say. “They’re just little kids.” Well you know what else is little? Piranhas.

3 Likes

Chen Yue Ji residence in Taipei, not far from the Confucian Temple. Contains the only extant set of stele in Taiwan awarded to a successful candidate in province level imperial exam. Many of the buildings date back to 1807 and parts of the compound have fallen into severe dilapidation (it was only heritage listed three years ago). 13 generation decedents still live in the compound and while it’s not really a tourist site open to the public, they were more than happy for us to look around and were able to tell us some interesting stories about the family’s history.

7 Likes

Very nice, reminds me of a certain female 混血 protagonists walks through the conscious-subcobcious (sic) (and probably sic on the characters too)

The generation counting thing is kind of interesting. I encountered that before in a conversation with a cab driver. I guess it must be a thing

The broken door with vines and what is the white object hanging on a string?

1 Like

White object hanging on string lol? A bungee jumping leprechaun invisible to all but the initiated? Or do you mean ye olde Qing hi-fi speaker like thing near the window? That’s an electricity box. The old door in that pic has 天開 (sky opens) on one side and 長春 (eternal spring) on the other: with the roof caving in at least the former proved true. Rather poignant “dream of the red chamber” stuff: this was once the residence of one of Taiwan’s most prominent families, boasting three Qing dynasty officials, and now only a few descents still live there, siting chewing beetle nut in the ruins

1 Like

Former Shell warehouses in Tamsui (殼牌倉庫).

Remains of the perimeter foundation of one of three oil storage containers bombed by the Americans in 1944. The fire burnt for three days and nights - some of our veteran Forumosans no doubt remember the terrible smell.

Early in the 20th Century these bricks began to replace the earlier Samuel and Samuel bricks (marked S) as the top tier red brick in Taiwan. You can see these TR red bricks in many Japanese era buildings. Contrary to what you might expect, the TR does not stand for Tyrannosaurus Rex or even Taiwan Ranga but Taiwan Renga (煉瓦 or brick is pronounced Renga in Japanese).

7 Likes

excellent job! it must have been tough detective work finding the locations even though most had changed surprisingly little.
one market sign was identical, I wonder if the trader was even the same person!

1 Like

公司橋, Company Bridge, Tamsui. Named after the Dutch East India Company. The salvaged slabs and the stele date to the rebuilt stone bridge of 1862. On the stele you can see the year 同治元年 - First year of the reign of the Tongzhi Emperor (1861/2). The Tongzhi emperor was the son of the Dowager Empress Cixi. The Chen Ji Yue and Lin Ben Yuan families are listed as sponsors of the bridge on the stele (in this thread I previously posted pics of the dilapidated Chen Ji Yue residence. The Li Ben Yuan residence is a well known attraction in Yuanshan).

3 Likes

More Tamsui history. One of the six graves of soldiers buried in 1881. All from Hunan.

3 Likes

The soldiers from Hunan were sent to Taiwan to prevent the British and the French from landing in Tamsui.

2 Likes
3 Likes

taipei city 1940s

1885 taiwan

5 Likes

This is Danshui, right?
Starbuck’s area on the left, fort and consulate on the hill (right hill side)?

6 Likes

keelung

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=6009839542366211&set=pcb.3266091670278562

1 Like

I think the shot was probably taken somewhere around today’s Red Castle 1899 (淡水紅樓).

4 Likes

1940s
The road in the image is today’s Taipei Chongqing South Road, located at the intersection of today’s Hengyang Road

2020s

5 Likes

The picture shows the digitally colored image of the gorgeous building “Zhang Donglong Commercial Firm” in Dadaocheng in the Japanese era.

3 Likes

The scene of Tamsui in the Japanese era (digitally colored by hand), the location in the picture is the current Mackay Street, and the steeple building in the background is Tamsui Church.

6 Likes