Old Pictures of Taipei

And what is Belgium anyway?

One thing I forgot. The ChiNatz that came after 49 were not proficient in Architecture. It’s just one of their shortcomings.

It’s just their sense of architecture aesthetics was shaped in a period of less than 200 years, whereas European is 1000+, and so is Japanese, 1000+.

for example,

from the same concept you have taipei101 and tuntex (in Kaohsiung.)

And what is Belgium anyway?
[/quote]
I would say exactly the same to any Belgium guy saying to tear down a nice “old” building because “it represents other country”.

[quote=“Andrew0409”][quote=“hansioux”]
Taiwan Sotoku after American bombing.[/quote]

I’m being a little extreme here but I wish We would rip this building down or at least build a new presidential office. It pisses me off that the President is in a building that clearly symbolizes Japan (Nippon)[/quote]

why? how is that different from those jihadists who blew up the Buddhas at Bamiyan just because they don’t like that they symbolize another religion? :noway:

Areal photos of Taipei at the Taiwan expo (1935)

This is Ximending. Took me a few minutes to identify it. The octagonal Red House on the bottom center gives it away. That would make the cross street with the bridge the current Zhonghua Rd. Railroad tracks would be laid on it a few years later.

This one is obviously the current 228 Park. I didn’t know there were so many buildings within the park. I’m glad they kept the outdoor performance stage.

[quote=“Andrew0409”][quote=“hansioux”]
Taiwan Sotoku after American bombing.[/quote]

I’m being a little extreme here but I wish We would rip this building down or at least build a new presidential office. It pisses me off that the President is in a building that clearly symbolizes Japan (Nippon)[/quote]

ITT: Japanese apologists and Chinese nationalists.

The fact of the matter is though that the Japanese did do a lot of careful, thought-out planning when it comes to the urban environment, which is the diametric opposite of how the KMT treated Taiwan between 1949 and now.

Unfortunately the thinking has taken root in many average people’s minds. It’s like a cat playing with a cardboard box – it doesn’t matter how unappealing the box may look as long as it’s the right size to fit a cat butt. “If it fits, I sits.”

What should happen to the Presidential Office? The president should go find another place to work, and it should be converted into a very large museum of Taiwanese history, from pre-Zheng Chenggong times to the present.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
What should happen to the Presidential Office? The president should go find another place to work, and it should be converted into a very large museum of Taiwanese history, from pre-Zheng Chenggong times to the present.[/quote]

there’s already National Museum of Taiwan History in Tainan and National Museum of History in Taipei for that purpose.

They’re both relatively small, and the later focuses on Chinese history as much as Taiwanese.

They’re both relatively small, and the later focuses on Chinese history as much as Taiwanese.[/quote]

The one in Tainan is 20 hectares… I think the presidential palace is like 2100 ping, 20 hectares is 6,352,500 ping…

In any case, I am not opposed to the President and most of the government going somewhere else to work. I’ve always thought they should move to a place where when people protest, not a lot of residents would complain.

I instantly recognized the two aerial photos… after all, they’re in my workplace neighborhood.

Hmm, I must be thinking of somewhere else, then. Why have I never visited?

Hmm, I must be thinking of somewhere else, then. Why have I never visited?[/quote]

It’s really really new, I haven’t visited either…

A video of Taiwan’s market in the 1930s

Just saw someone mention that there’s way too few female for this to be a traditional market, and say it is more likely to be a biō-huē (temple festivity).

1930 Atayal Aboriginal’s interaction with the Japanese at a Pyasan (角板山 Jiaoban Shan, Taoyuan) trading post

from the same source:
mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A23220

Tamsui, from the 1966 movie the Sand Pebbles. It was shot on location.

twmemory.org/?p=1589

I recognize that church in the background on the right.

yeah, it’s the Chapel of Presbyterian Church, Tamsui, still beautiful today.

same can’t be said about the rest of Tamsui…

I can’t believe Tamsui once looked like that. Aesthetically, every single city and town of Taiwan is in such a sorry state that it may be impossible ever to fix.

Been researching for the baseball park that the 1921 MLB tour played at, and Higashi Honganji seems to be around the area… so here goes:

Higashi Honganji(東本願寺)'s branch at Taipei

Nov. 28, 1928 ~ Dec. 14, 1930

The original Higashi Honganji Branch at Taipei was lost to a fire.

Oct. 31, 1936 ~

In comes the Indian styled version. What’s amazing is that even though is Indian styled outside, once you go in, the internal layout is that of any traditional Japanese temple.

US aerial reconnaissance photo of Higashi Honganji at Taipei.

The KMT took over temple grounds and turned it into one of the execution grounds in Taipei (along with Babachō, today’s Machangding park at Wanhua, Taipei Hyatt in Xinyi district, a torture house at Jinhua lane, and there’s one in Ankeng, Xindiang). The KMT then turned it over to the civilians, and now it looks like this:

Bonus: Nishi Honganji (西本願寺) Branch at Taipei

That photo was taken in 1961, really not that long ago.

Sources from:
linchunsheng.blogspot.tw/2011/02 … st_06.html
taipeisomethings.blogspot.tw/201 … _4961.html

Formosa - 10 Years Free