Old re-entry visa and new passport

been reading, searching and reading some more.
seems like knowledgeables out there,
don’t think i’m just trying to stump you -

my passport expires may 30, so my arc does too.
i therefore have a multiple re-enty visa in
my passport and an arc valid till may 30.

but if i go back to canada, get my passport re-newed there
and come back here before may 30, can i show them my
arc, my old passport with multiple re-entry visa AND
my new pasport?

or will i blow a 50 amp fuse?

[quote=“old canuck”]been reading, searching and reading some more.
seems like knowledgeables out there,
don’t think i’m just trying to stump you -

my passport expires may 30, so my arc does too.
i therefore have a multiple re-enty visa in
my passport and an arc valid till may 30.

but if i go back to canada, get my passport re-newed there
and come back here before may 30, can i show them my
arc, my old passport with multiple re-entry visa AND
my new pasport?

or will i blow a 50 amp fuse?[/quote]

Should be no problem. I came in and out of Taiwan on a new passport with my re-entry permit in an old passport for about 6mths. Just remember to get the old passport back when applying for a new one.

Yes, should be no problem. Just keep your old passport with the docs and show them to the immigration folks when you enter/exit.

Muchas gracias, amigos!
thank you Connel and Yellow Cartman,
that takes a big load off.

Heh heh, i’ve been like a chicken on an egg,
checking it once in a while to see if it hatched,
and twins!

Taiwan immigration authorities recognize visas and re-entry permits as valid even if they are in a canceled passport which has been renewed. Just show both old and new passports and ARC when entering and there will be no problem. After you’re back you can go to the local NIA office to get a new re-entry permit placed in your new passport at no charge, or you can just wait until you renew your ARC to do so.

You say that your ARC expires on May 30 because that is when your passport expires. If your work permit or reason for stay is valid past that date then you should also be able to extend your ARC to the next full year anniversary or the duration of your reason for stay whichever is first. This should also be at no charge as long as the reason your ARC duration was limited was due only to the passport expiration. (If you got a short duration ARC due to the length of your work permit for example, then you have to pay again to renew it.)

As an example, my first ARC was good for less than a year due to my passport expiring. Shortly after I got my ARC I renewed my passport and then used both the old and new passport together for a few months when traveling before going in to get my ARC extended to the full year and a new re-entry permit in my new passport both of which were done at no charge.

I certainly appreciate this,
and while it may seem reasonable in retrospection,
as I get older life seems open to less opportunities of
reasonableness to come to me.

My passport will be expiring in November of this year. I have an ARC and resident visa good until this time. No problems so far, except that the visa pages in my passport are full and I’d like to take a trip in the Summer. I think the best thing to do is just to apply for and obtain a new passport now; however, I’m concerned about what that will mean for the resident visa currently in the passport I have now.

Is it just a case of getting a new resident visa sticker affixed in the new passport, or is it a more detailed process. Can anyone give me some idea what I will have to do?