Old School Country Songs

I am in that place I thought I would never be,
old school country.
What can you offer?
It must be prior the 80’s or at least a good cover.
No Shania/Clint Black, et cetera allowed.

1971 & Country rock.

America - A horse with no name :

Charlie Phillips: Very nice, that Slim Dusty! :thumbsup:

ceevee: Not sure what passes for country in Belgium, but sorry, that track does not cut the mustard at all.
At all.
Perhaps, because we of TheMingerGan have heard it too many times.
Pop, schmop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJS6ZsxG2tI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PInbP6RTNo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dP1xLk4rQ

TheGingerMan, meet Billy Joe Shaver, Billy a ginger from up north of Detroit.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I am in that place I thought I would never be,
old school country.
[/quote]
It’s really not that bad a place. I’ve been listening to random Merle Haggard lately too. Heard a cover of this tune by Dwight Yoakam which got me started.

The best thread EVER!!!

Some more from my playlist

Steve Young is hard to find on youtube, but SO many people covered him, he is simply the best

For example, this song is by Steve Young, but cannot find the original on Youtube, but heres a sickass cover

And for Cash’s wife’s pedigree, cant forget the Carters

Holy Shite!
A rainfall of awesome old style!
Confuzius, flike, Charlie Phillips,and navillus, thanks a plenty.
Keep them comin’, and anyone else that would care to add to the fray.
As, for me, I am in a bit of a KK mood right now, as in Kris K.

It shouldn’t go without mention that there’s a treasure of old-school country gold in this classic 2011 post by [color=#FF0000]yuli[/color]

[quote=“yuli”]Last night i decide to take a few-minutes break but fall asleep inspite of the country music program I have tuned into ( 1.fm/Station/ccountry/Default.aspx ) running at regular volume. So some of the music drifts into my dreams, and first there is some slow Elvis and then there is some upbeat piece, a guy singing accompanied by bass and piano and the song ending with him singing something about “golden (m)ascot” and “college band”. As i wake up i fondly recall that basss and piano sound and figure i check the program history of the channel to see what I might have heard there. But… looking for Elvis, I am surprised to see this long list of songs that have been played already - and which one is the one i remember hearing?

[quote]
01:43 am Artist: Keith Urban Title: YOU’LL THINK OF ME
01:40 am Artist: Mickey Gilley Title: I Overlooked An Orchid
01:37 am Artist: Lionel Richie Title: Stuck On You
01:34 am Artist: Lefty Frizzell Title: If You’ve Got The Money I’ve Got The Time
01:31 am Artist: Foster & Lloyd Title: Faster and Louder
01:29 am Artist: Sgt. Barry Sadler Title: The Ballad Of The Green Berets
01:25 am Artist: Boy Howdy Title: They Don’t Make Them Like That Anymore
01:21 am Artist: Hank Williams Jr Title: Man Of Steel
01:18 am Artist: Glen Campbell Title: Any Which Way You Can
01:14 am Artist: Collin Raye Title: Someone You Used To Know
01:12 am Artist: Elvis Presley Title: Love Me Tender [/quote]
Well… Google to the rescue. But nothing useful comes up searching for “golden mascot” or “golden ascot” and “college band”. Next Google and Youtube: going through the songs one by one I find out that the only one that has that upbeat feeling i recall as well as bass and piano accompaniment is “If You’ve Got The Money I’ve Got The Time”. And there are lots of versions of it in Youtube! And I get sucked into checking them all out. :wink: Now, since I’ve taken notes, i figure i may as well share that treasure trove with the rest of the world now. :wink:

Lefty Frizzell:
youtube.com/watch?v=f2x0fMszj58 - images: record / note: audio from an old record
youtube.com/watch?v=D3KbMo45yzE - images: record player / note: audio from an old record
youtube.com/watch?v=vYUr4wNdDZc - images: live performance on TV 1970 / note: somewhat poor audio
youtube.com/watch?v=_FquEEkL8B0 - images: movie / note: decent audio but lip synched

Cover versions:
Merle Haggard:
youtube.com/watch?v=4-tsVMHuHrs - images: old time stage / note: decent audio but piano hard to hear
youtube.com/watch?v=Ryh_wk2ba9g - images: old time stage / note: decent audio but piano hard to hear
Merle Haggard and David Frizzell
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIpqmamkgI - images: live performance / note: decent audio
David Frizzell:
youtube.com/watch?v=FlthJTKU4rg - images: live performance / note: poor audio (bootleg)
George Jones:
youtube.com/watch?v=__xXNkt90tA - images: photo / note: decent audio
Willie Nelson:
youtube.com/watch?v=NVphs8eP6c4 - images: record cover, etc. / note: played fast; decent audio; also harmonica solo; all-star
youtube.com/watch?v=5Z8_vZ_MiME - images: live performance / note: played fast; poor audio (bootleg)
youtube.com/watch?v=Ozffj8m-WrI - images: live performance / note: played fast; poor audio (bootleg)
youtube.com/watch?v=jBfLCHPwhT4 - images: live performance / note: played fast; poor audio (bootleg)
Rick Wild:
youtube.com/watch?v=N_D5fPxEPr4 - images: live performance / note: played fast; very low audio level
Jo Stafford/Paul Westons Orchester:
youtube.com/watch?v=SRgHI3D8AQE - images: acoustic record player / note: prehistoric sound from an acoustic record player
Leon Russell:
youtube.com/watch?v=72n3mooTJh8 - images: record cover / note: played fast; decent audio; bluegrass-fusion version
Del McCoury:
youtube.com/watch?v=gLCmIfa_C2A - images: record cover / note: played fast; decent audio; bluegrass version
The Wilders:
youtube.com/watch?v=LbNqF_sLEXI - images: live performance / note: very low audio level

Oh… so much good stuff… :flowers:

And what about that “golden (m)ascot”? That was most likely the phrase “all the night spots” - and the “college band”? [strike]Who knows - a sleeping brain plays lots of tricks… maybe it’s something from one of the songs that followed but that I was not aware of[/strike]. Edit: I must have heard the 1970 version in my sleep, since he sings there not “dance drink beer and wine” but “dance to the music band”.[/quote]

It’s a great thread and thanks to the GingerMan. It’s sent me rambling down country lanes and into the past where I likes to be.
Like walking with Thomas Hardy.

And new discoveries of things old:

Apologies if I posted any of these elsewhere earlier, but it’s all a fog now.

Jimmie Rodgers, “Blue Yodel Number 9”

[quote]Standing on the corner, I didn’t mean no harm.
Along come a police, he took me by the arm.
It was down in Memphis, corner of Beale and Main.
He says, “Big boy, you’ll have to tell me your name.”

I said, “You’ll find my name on the tail of my shirt.
I’m a Tennessee hustler, I don’t have to work.”[/quote]

(Satchmo on horn)

Bill Monroe, “You’ll Find Her Name Written There”

[quote]I’ll breathe her name into the air;
It goes, and I know not where.
But if you look to the heart of a friend,
You’ll find her name written there.[/quote]

Joe Falcon, “Allons à Lafayette”

[quote]Let’s go to Lafayette and change your name.
We’ll call you Mrs., Mrs. Trashy Comeaux.
Baby, you’re too cute to be acting like a criminal.
How do you think I’m going to get along all by myself?[/quote]

The Balfa Brothers, “Parlez Nous à Boire (Speak to Us of Drinking)”

[quote]Oh, speak to us of drinking, not of marriage,
Always missing our good times past.[/quote]

The Osborne Brothers, “Rocky Top”

[quote]Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop–
I still dream about that.[/quote]

This goes slightly past the 1980 cut-off but George Strait is pretty goddamned old school in my book.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]It’s a great thread and thanks to the GingerMan. It’s sent me rambling down country lanes and into the past where I likes to be.
Like walking with Thomas Hardy.[/quote]
Don’t thank me, it ain’t my fault.
Thank ourselves for having the audacious temerity to actually revisit the past.
:bow:

I know I stated in the OP about prior to 1980, but I am afraid I am going to have break my own rules. Made to be broken on select opportune, and this is just one of them:

Huzzah, if that was not one of many themes songs in me head as I drove to work today.
Oh, how the resonance, resonates!

That Dwight Yoakam tune brings up memories of this one…

Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash, “Girl from the North Country”

Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris, “My Dear Companion”

Artist: Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
Track: Steel Guitar Rag

youtube.com/watch?v=I1B0msHnYDs

Artist: Hank Williams
Track: I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry

youtube.com/watch?v=WkztDzpTHKA

Artist: Jimmie Rodgers
Track: Mule Skinner Blues

youtube.com/watch?v=cjO_OK03UNY

Artist: Merle Haggard