Old Tienmu Hiking Trail

Hi,

Has anyone hiked this trail in Taipei? Supposedly it has wild monkeys. If so, can you tell me how to find it? I’m cannot find good directions at all…

And if anyone wants to hike with me (novice - just hike for fun, don’t own hiking gear lol) let me know!

Thanks!

take a bus to the last stop on chungshan north road section seven (220, 601 to name two), there’s a traffic circle there. continue walking up chungshan road section seven to the very end. across the street to the right you’ll see the trail entrance, can’t miss it.

You better leave really early if you want to see monkeys.

When I was up there last weekend at around 4:30 p.m. I saw about a dozen monkeys – which is the most I’ve ever seen there. OTOH, I haven’t seen monkeys there often and I’ve never been up that trail early in the morning.

When I was up there last weekend at around 4:30 p.m. I saw about a dozen monkeys – which is the most I’ve ever seen there. OTOH, I haven’t seen monkeys there often and I’ve never been up that trail early in the morning.[/quote]

Oh, good to hear. I guess they should be used to people.

Is northern TAiwan too cold for these monkeys, because in Kaohsiung they kind of over run some popular spots near Hsi Chi wan beach? Shou shan or something like that?

as per this vid:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZLLQN-LXQ

and this one:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PjNQ4htDK … re=related

Thanks so much! I hope I see them!

[quote=“tommy525”]Is northern TAiwan too cold for these monkeys, because in Kaohsiung they kind of over run some popular spots near Hsi Chi wan beach? Shou shan or something like that?

as per this vid:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZLLQN-LXQ

and this one:

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PjNQ4htDK … re=related[/quote]

No, lots of monkeys up here. Maokong is reported to have some though I have never seen them. I have however seen troops in Wulai and Pingxi which are both just 30 minutes from the city.

The monkeys come out both early in the morning and late in the afternoon (4-5pm), but if you come in the afternoon bring bug spray.

Try to go on a weekday - the crowds on weekends freak them out and they don’t always show themselves.

Also, there is another way that doesn’t involve climbing stairs for a half hour. I love hiking, but climbing stairs is not hiking.

Go to Jiantan and exit towards the night market, heading left as you leave the station, to the row of bus stops. Take Red 5 or any other bus that says “Yangmingshan” (I think there is at least one other, maybe two) and get off at Wenhua Daxue (Culture University). Turn left away from the main campus area to a little settlement with a few shops and a pretty Chinese-style church. Turn right at the church - which looks like a temple - down the hill and signs will lead you to a set of stairs.

Go down those and when you’ve hit flat ground, you’re in the monkey area. The best monkeys can be seen at the other end of their territory, but it’s a lovely walk.