Olive Oil

More fine olive oils stocked at Jason’s:

L’Esturnell XV (Extra Virgin), using Arbequina olives from the northern and Mediterranean provinces of Spain. 750ml, $600

Epifine Olio di Toscana XV, 500ml $699 (down from $750)

Tommasi viticoltori XV using hand-picked olives. Italy. 500ml $1040.

========================
EDIT:
My local Wellcome, btw, has:
Berio (pure) 1 liter for $415 (same price as at Jasons) and
Borges 100% XV 1st CP (cold pressing), 1 L for $420 (a better value than the Berio, being higher quality at the same price)

Article I came across…looks like Taiwan isn’t the only place to adulterate Olive Oil…(Beroli is mentioned, but I think the incident was several years ago)…Australia is also mentioned prominently.

“You shouldda bought GENCO Imports…a deal you can’t refuse”

[quote]Slippery path when oils ain’t oils
Sonya Neufeld , 21 October 2007

FRAUD. It’s associated with identity theft and bouncing cheques, but apparently it is also rife in the olive oil industry.

Fake olive oil is an international issue, especially in Italy, the world’s leading importer, consumer and exporter of olive oil.

Australia the largest consumer of olive oil per capita outside the Mediterranean is not immune.

Olive oil is more valuable than other vegetable oils, but is costly and time-consuming to produce. It is also easy to adulterate, or fake.

In February last year US federal officials seized about 61,000 litres of what was supposed to be extra-virgin olive oil and 26,000 litres of a lower-grade oil from a New Jersey warehouse. Some of the oil consisted almost entirely of soybean oil, which costs about one sixth of the price of olive oil.

It was destined for Krinos Foods, which blamed the fraud on its supplier, DMK Global Marketing, which in turn pointed the finger at the Italian bottlers from whom it had bought it. Officials destroyed the oil, but no criminal charges were brought.

A year earlier, the Italian special police broke up a criminal ring and confiscated 100,000 litres of fake olive oil, with a street value of about six million euros ($A8.9million).

The ring was accused of colouring soy and canola oil with industrial chlorophyll, flavouring it with beta-carotene and packaging it as extra virgin olive oil.

Throughout the early 1990s, the owner of olive oil supply company Riolio, Domenico Ribatti, made a large fortune by cutting olive oil with hazelnut and myriad oils.

He supplied the “dirty” oil to some of the largest producers of Italian olive oil, including Nestle, Bertoli and Unilever, who sold it to consumers as olive oil.

In 1997, adulterated olive oil was so prevalent the European Union’s anti-fraud office established an olive-oil taskforce.

In April, Italian Agriculture Minister Paolo De Castro announced its government had investigated 787 producers and found 206 were guilty of adulteration, false labelling, and other violations.

International regulations state that extra virgin olive oil must be obtained only from the olive, the stone fruit picked from trees.

The oil can be extracted using only mechanical or other physical means (by a press or a centrifuge) with no chemicals and in particular thermal conditions, which do not alter it in any way.

It must be free of defects and have acidity of 0.8 per cent or less, while virgin olive oil should have acidity of 2 per cent or less. It cannot contain oils obtained by the use of solvents nor be mixed with oils from other sources.

Australian Olive Association president Paul Miller said a “taste test” could sometimes reveal whether a bottle labelled as extra virgin was what it claimed to be.

“If you get a nice, fruity and fresh taste, then it’s the real thing. If you don’t get any taste, or if it tastes a bit fatty or off, then it’s not.”

It was difficult to determine how much of an issue olive oil fraud was in Australia.

"We’ve done some testing of imported and domestic labelled [extra virgin olive oil], using conventional tests because we know what’s happening overseas.

“But we really don’t know how much of a problem or if it even is one here in Australia because some of those conventional tests cannot always detect refined oil and other things.”

However, thanks to a $385,000 grant from the Federal Government, the Australian Olive Association is cracking down on fraud.

It is implementing an industry code of practice, which will include a new, more advancedolive oil chemistry test in conjunction with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

Mr Miller said the regulations, which will come into place early next year, will involve random testing in the market and will put Australia “up there” with Canada as one of the strictest when it comes to olive oil fraud.

"We’re getting pretty serious about this and the re-structure of the industry will help us police it.

“We want to make sure we’re delivering what we’re saying we’re delivering.”

However, consumers needed to be aware that adulterated oil would not harm them.

“They aren’t selling anything poisonous, rather it’s similar to saying ‘This is a really good bottle of cabernet sauvignon’ when it’s in fact a $2 job.”

Australia’s olive oil industry is relatively small. While the world produces 3 million tonnes, we produce 10,000 tonnes some 0.3 per cent of olive oil supply.

Our biggest export market is the US and increasingly, China.

As for Canberra, its olive oil industry is considered “boutique”.

“Canberra has some quite good oils, but being quite cool, it tends to be at the smaller end of the market,” Mr Miller said. “Nonetheless, they produce quite flavoursome oil, so there’s some interesting stuff happening there.”

Pialligo Estate Wines has been producing olive oil for about seven years. Owner Sally Milner said the winery, which picked about two tonnes of olives this year and produced about 300 litres of oil, sells the product in a “very boutique way”.

“We put it into smaller bottles and pair it with a red wine vinegar that we make, we sell it from the cellar door, and serve it in our restaurant.”

Because the winery didn’t attempt to sell the olive oil retail or wholesale, fraud was not a serious issue for the business.

"But if we ever got into the stage where we were competing in the open market, we would be concerned about it.

"It would also worry us in the sense that people would have bad associations or experiences with olive oil and may not use it again, which would be a real shame.

“Olive oil not only tastes great and enhances the natural flavour of food, it is also very good for you.” Those in the industry will attend the Australian Olive Expo takes at Exhibition Park from October 28-31.
Canberra, Your Guide[/quote]

they had a chilean extra virgin at costco, .2 maximum acidity. just bought some other so didn’t go for it but i was tempted to try.

What is "Extra-Virgin Olive Oil in Chinese? Many products in our area don’t have English Labeling.
Thanks.

I wouldn’t buy any olive oil that is not clearly imported, much less any without English labeling.

It varies somewhat but the most common Chinese name is “特級橄欖油”

This place has 3-liter tins of XV superior quality (mechanical extraction only) olive oil, Italian, Speroni brand for a mere $650. That’s a good deal IMO. They also have fancier stuff, smaller bottles, and cheaper pomace oil, and a wide range of imported goods:

P&P Food & Spices 東遠
Taibei, Zhong1zheng4 District, Jin1men2 Jie1, 9-14, 1F
金門街9-14, 1F
This street runs southwest off of Roosevelt, just southwest of Shi-Da. Take Heping westward to Roosevelt; turn left, go about 200+ yards, and turn right; after a ways it’s on your left (small entrance, not well marked)
2365-0633

Oh, the Speroni XV superior quality from P&P is good stuff! I brushed some on a pizza crust last night and the smell was heavenly! Much better quality than the average lower-priced bottle on supermarket shelves or at Costco, and it’s not even pricey! $650 is only $217/liter. Save your other stuff for sauteeing when you don’t actually want an olive oil flavor. I’m hooked. :thumbsup:

(It’s in a big tin, so save your previous bottle when it runs dry, and refill it from the tin.)

Hmm right near me.

How much olive oil do you use that you can rip through a 3 liter can before it goes rancid? I am hard pressed (excuse the pun) to use more than a liter in 2 months or so.

I haven’t had any olive oil go off here. The cheap 2l bottles I got from Costco has lasted me about 6 months each, but then again, I only use it for frying stuff in, as it’s not so good to eat, I bought some more expensive oil for that.

In my (and Mom’s) experience, which includes a couple decades in very hot countries, olive oil, especially if it’s good quality, just doesn’t go bad easily. I think it’s more stable than other oils.

I cook daily, sometimes thrice daily, and use almost nothing but olive oil, so I’d bet I use a liter a month, maybe more. :idunno: I often replace animal fats with it. For instance, I’ll get only the leanest ground beef, cook it, drain the fat out, pressing well, then replace that fat with really nice olive oil, and use that in making my spaghetti sauce. Same with chicken – I don’t keep the skins or fatty bits – and my chorizo (leanest pork only, plus olive oil). I even do this to my tamales, replacing lard with olive oil. Breakfast? A bagel or ciabatta or some other homemade bread brushed with olive oil. Lunch? Pasta with olive oil. Dinner? Pizza crust with olive oil, topped with tomato sauce with olive oil, and a side of veggies sauteed in – what else?

But I don’t think you have to use huge amounts to prevent 3 liters from going bad before you’re done with it, if it’s good oil. Of course it will last longer if you store it right (cool, dark place), but we’re not talking a month or two – I think the best stuff can last up to a couple years! Maybe the cheapest stuff in the worst conditions still lasts at least a few months. If you buy crappy stuff, live in an apt. in Taiwan with no AC, leave the oil in the sunlight next to the hot stove, and don’t cook much, then you’d better not buy more than one-liter bottles, sure. :loco:

The one I brought from Portugal didn’t go rancid yet (1 year and counting) so guess that quality does matter a lot. I bring family made one, from the interior of Portugal, cultivated some 500m high… stored in a bottle of Coke (due to problems with the original packaging during the flight, and still tastes like heaven to me…

It worked out to be 3 liters in 2 months. I cook a LOT, though, and use olive oil for everything. This week I talked to P&P to order two 3-liter cans, and it turns out [color=#0000FF]they DELIVER[/color], for something ridiculously cheap like NT$80 for up to 20kg. So I ordered, and had a box arrive the next day with Spanish olives, Spanish wine, superior olive oil, saffron, and so on. COD too. :discodance: I can’t believe this place isn’t WILDLY popular yet.

We got a small bottle of some super fancy stuff from the shop inside the Eslite book store from my GF’s mum, haven’t tried it yet, but it’s something stupid like NT$1,300 for a 500ml bottle… ouch!
It was gift packed with a bottle of equally expensive balsamic vinegar.
Oh and her mum didn’t pay for it so and her parents doesn’t use olive oil, so we got it :smiley:

In my (and Mom’s) experience, which includes a couple decades in very hot countries, olive oil, especially if it’s good quality, just doesn’t go bad easily. I think it’s more stable than other oils.

I cook daily, sometimes thrice daily, and use almost nothing but olive oil, so I’d bet I use a liter a month, maybe more. :idunno: I often replace animal fats with it. For instance, I’ll get only the leanest ground beef, cook it, drain the fat out, pressing well, then replace that fat with really nice olive oil, and use that in making my spaghetti sauce. Same with chicken – I don’t keep the skins or fatty bits – and my chorizo (leanest pork only, plus olive oil). I even do this to my tamales, replacing lard with olive oil. Breakfast? A bagel or ciabatta or some other homemade bread brushed with olive oil. Lunch? Pasta with olive oil. Dinner? Pizza crust with olive oil, topped with tomato sauce with olive oil, and a side of veggies sauteed in – what else?

But I don’t think you have to use huge amounts to prevent 3 liters from going bad before you’re done with it, if it’s good oil. Of course it will last longer if you store it right (cool, dark place), but we’re not talking a month or two – I think the best stuff can last up to a couple years! Maybe the cheapest stuff in the worst conditions still lasts at least a few months. If you buy crappy stuff, live in an apt. in Taiwan with no AC, leave the oil in the sunlight next to the hot stove, and don’t cook much, then you’d better not buy more than one-liter bottles, sure. :loco:[/quote]

DAng. you are making me hungry !! :slight_smile:

Olive oil is really good for your health too they say. Some people who lived to be 100 claim that they even drink a small glass of the stuff everyday.

Another great oil for you is safflower oil, which i havent found at all in Taiwan . Does it exist there? If it does, its pretty good oil, but not as tasty as olive oil is though.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]We got a small bottle of some super fancy stuff from the shop inside the Eslite book store from my GF’s mum, haven’t tried it yet, but it’s something stupid like NT$1,300 for a 500ml bottle… ouch!
It was gift packed with a bottle of equally expensive balsamic vinegar.
Oh and her mum didn’t pay for it so and her parents doesn’t use olive oil, so we got it :smiley:[/quote]

Problem is that your palate could develop to where you will now require that kind of quality of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And you may have to fork it over to buy some !!

Hahahaha, that’s why they’re still in box :wink:
It’s from here oliviersandco.com
They got a bunch of more expensive stuff, but still…

Jason’s has the small, 250 ml flavored Colavita’s for about $290-295, including lemon, truffle, orange?, basil and garlic, but they were out of the garlic one. Oh, actually the truffle one was pricier.

I think that’s too much money for a mere 250ml, personally. For comparison, their extra fruity XV in the same size 250ml bottle was about $350, but the same stuff in a 500ml bottle was also about $350, and the 750ml bottle was $490. Go figure. 750ml isn’t very big, so there’s no reason to be overpaying for the tiny bottles.
If anyone finds large bottles or tins of Colavita extra fruity XV or any other brand in ‘fruttato’, ‘extra fruity’ or ‘afrutado’ at a better price anywhere, PLEASE let me know, thanks!

On extra fruity, Jason’s also has Ybarra brand XV Afrutado, 500 ml for $252, significantly cheaper than the Colavita. I got one but haven’t tried it yet.

I bought the Ybarra and I think it was really good. Only just got around to try the Oliviers & Co one and imho the Ybarra tastes much better. The Oliviers one is also slightly green in colour which looks strange. Not much flavour at all which I guess is good for some things, but not others. The Ybarra is an excellent dipping/eating oil.

The Costco one in large plastic 2l bottles is not good as a dipping oil though, it’s got a sandpaper like quality on the tongue and is best used for frying or baking.

Which one? Jason’s had a whole series by Ybarra.

Definitely.