Olympic Torch; Spirit of Friendship

[quote]http://goldsea.com/Asiagate/511/10torch.html

China wants the Olympic torch for the 2008 Beijing Games to pass through rival Taiwan, a sensitive request that could drag the IOC into a political flash point. [/quote]
Au contraire, the Olympic torch is a symbol friendship in the spirit of competition.

Xenophobic fool. If North and South Korea can play under one flag in 2008, I don’t see the problem of being hopeful of one day seeing ROC and PRC playing under one flag. I know “Chinese Taipei” is annoying to people across the Blue Green spectrum of thinking on Taiwan.

And who introduced the Olympic Torch, symbol of ‘friendship in the spirit of competition’?

Oh yes, that would be those nice Nazis in Berlin, 1936.

On a different note, Beijing is so set in its attitude towards Taiwan that it will use any means necessary to legitimate their claims to sovereignty over the island.

You might think CSB is xenophobic and a fool, but that doesn’t mean he’s necessarily wrong about this.

TFT

I think we should abolish the Olympic Torch because it was introduced by Nazis

How does the path that the Olympic torch take “legitimize” anything on the issue of sovereignty?

As the Post article this morning mentioned, the torch for the Turin winter Olympics will be swinging through several neighboring nations. What exactly is Taiwan compromising by allowing the Olympic torch upon her shores?

I guess I can come up with a few typical DPP formulations of the possible risks of such a move:

• Communist commandos posing as athletes carrying the torch;

• torch holding GPS transponder, used to identify key military complexes for later precision strikes;

• this might lead to confusion amongst Taiwanese peasants about their true national identity.

A lovely procession of helmetless dog carrying scooter riders, t-shirted bin lang spitting Long Life smoking blue truck driver and ball bat waving taxi operators would do nicely for this. With the roads lined with opportunistic politicians, skinny xiao jies, and 3-legged dogs following their every move.
All of the oh-so professional Taiwanese media people can constantly gaggle about the torch as it crosses the island; causing even more trafficjams interrupted by the construction of the still unfinished Taiwan High Speed Rail boon doggle.

2008…a wonderful year for the Olympics!

Maybe they’ll use the torch to burn a few flags on Taiwan to show what a loving place the island has become. :loco:

A torch run through Taiwan would carry to much symbolism at this time. Taiwan is not ready to demonstrate to the world that is part of Communist China. Too many unknowledgeable people in the world would believe the issue is simple to solve.

The Korea example also is something that carries a lot of baggage. Although the S Koreans want peace with the north, they fully know the enormous financial sacrifice they will have to make to pull the north out of its quagmire. Are they really prepared to do this? Germany is still recovering and East Germany was in better shape than NK. I would also guess that the NK team is broke and needs the south to support its team.

My opinion has always been that Taiwan should have boycotted the Olympics the day the anti-secession law was passed to send a real message to the world. China has no rights on Taiwan as it stands today. If the people of china can force out the CCP, then and only then is there any hope for unification. I believe even Mayor Ma understands this as he stated recently Taiwan can not talk about unification until Tiananmen is explained. Read this article Democracy with Chinese Characteristics on the atimes.com website to understand the complexities of that happening.

4nr -
Good post and good linking article.
Thanks.

Why should individual ROC Olympians give up their dream of the Gold Medal over political idealogy that they might not even support.

A lifetime of training wasted, because some fools can’t accept the fact that TI will never happen.

How can TI stand for liberalism if it tramples on individual right to pursue happiness?

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Why should individual ROC Olympians give up their dream of the Gold Medal over political idealogy that they might not even support.

A lifetime of training wasted, because some fools can’t accept the fact that TI will never happen.

How can TI stand for liberalism if it tramples on individual right to pursue happiness?[/quote]
Quite right, AC. Countries should compromise on their foriegn policies just to accomodate a small group of athletes. And by the way, I’ve heard from a very reliable source that…

the International Olympic Committee is a evil cult.
:laughing:

The problem with the Olympic torch relay passing through Taiwan is that the host country, China, would likely include the Taiwan leg as part of the domestic route and not part of the international route. Rather than coming between the Hong Kong and Macao stretches, Taiwan should come between two international stretches, for example the Philippines and Japan.

I think China will try to pull all kinds of tricks to make “Chinese Taipei” appear subordinate to the PRC. This could happen early enough to become a point of debate in the 2008 presidential election, with Chairman Ma defending the PRC all the way. He is already afraid to let the ROC flag fly at international competitions in Taipei (as with the recent figure skating competition). Fortunately, there are those audience members who are not afraid to display the ROC flag, and they should be allowed to do so in Beijing, too.

I’m sure if a compromise can be reached on the torch issue, a compromise can be made on the ROC flag issue.

But if both sides are too stubborn to negotiate, then PRC will win on most issues by default.

Tricky comparison comparing Taiwan and China to North and South Korea. I would say it is not a fair comparison and just another ploy by AC. Most of the people in Taiwan have been here for 400 years or more. Before the China Nationalist Party got here and tried to Sinify everyone and everything, no one even spoke Mandarin, just Japanese and Taiwanese. Taiwan and China are two separate countries never to be united unless by force. North and SOuth Korea is not a fair comparison.

China just wants the torch to pass through Taiwan to keep up the lie that Taiwan is part of China. Anyone that has been to Taiwan, knows that is not true.

Boo hoo Hobart - you don’t have to politicize everything. If it was that big of an issue, Taiwan can just skip the torch part!

Whats all this BS about boycotting the Olympics because of petty word games?!

Boo hoo Hobart - you don’t have to politicize everything. If it was that big of an issue, Taiwan can just skip the torch part!

Whats all this BS about boycotting the Olympics because of petty word games?!

Whats more interesting is that Germany and Russia both fell after hosting the Olympics.

The Olympics tends to amplify the problem of the host nations especially if they are totalitarian or in China’s case, basically fascist.

The Chicomms are going to get a huge magnifying glass on their improper activities, stuff like Human Rights will come into play.

EDIT: Yes its quite obvious I mean Nazi Germany and the USSR.

BLUEGREEN: I never mention host cities, I mentioned Host-Nations. You’re either playing dumb or being 'tarded.

Germany and Russia are still around. I think you are referring specifically to East Germany and USSR.

So are you predicting the fall of ROC if the torch makes it to Taiwan?

Taiwanese treatment of Asian migrant workers really would be an embarrassment to the DPP administration if the world got wind of the situation.

Then how come other host cities didn’t fall?

* 1896 - Games of the I Olympiad - Athens, Greece - was a dictatorship, the country remains
* 1900 - Games of the II Olympiad - Paris, France - French, but city still stands despite being burned
* 1904 - Games of the III Olympiad - St. Louis, United States - St. Louis i still around and the USA still exists. Nelly lives to sing about his city
* 1906 - Intercalated Games - Athens, Greece - still here
* 1908 - Games of the IV Olympiad - London, United Kingdom - still here, 
* 1912 - Games of the V Olympiad - Stockholm, Sweden - still around
* 1920 - Games of the VII Olympiad - Antwerp, Belgium - country still stands
* 1924 - Games of the VIII Olympiad - Paris, France - alive
* 1928 - Games of the IX Olympiad - Amsterdam, Netherlands - they have druggies and whores, but the country stands
* 1932 - Games of the X Olympiad - Los Angeles, United States - LA riots got nothin' on LA!
* 1936 - Games of the XI Olympiad - Berlin, Germany - City is reunified and Germany is whole again
* 1948 - Games of the XIV Olympiad - London, United Kingdom - stands
* 1952 - Games of the XV Olympiad - Helsinki, Finland - still around
* 1956 - Games of the XVI Olympiad - Melbourne, Australia / Stockholm, Sweden (Equestrian events) - still around
* 1960 - Games of the XVII Olympiad - Rome, Italy - No fascists in sight and the country is still whole
* 1964 - Games of the XVIII Olympiad - Tokyo, Japan - Japan is still around despite flirting with "Asian fascism"
* 1968 - Games of the XIX Olympiad - Mexico City, Mexico - Ok, Mexico did fall and is sending illegal immigrants to the US I admit. But the country still stands.
* 1972 - Games of the XX Olympiad - Munich, West Germany - Germany is reunified
* 1976 - Games of the XXI Olympiad - Montr

Phibert: For the KMT and CCP everything is about politics. Running the torch through Taiwan as a DOMESTIC Route of COMMUNIST China is ALL ABOUT the POLITICS of trying to make Taiwan look like it is part of China to outside world that doesn’t have a clue, only a fool would fall for that. Now if China wants to show some goodwill, put Taiwan on the international torch route.

Okay poli sci 101

In return for placing Taiwan on the international torch route, what will Taiwan offer China to improve Strait Relations?

This just illustrate how the TI paradigm is ill equip to deal with problem at the most basic poitical level…bartering.