Olympics 2016

Who do you think will get it?

• Rio?
  • Chicago?
  • Tokyo
  • Madrid?

0 voters

Oh god, the hyped countdown has started. In 16 days Chicago will know if it has been chosen a winna (winner). 45% oppose it and 47% are for it. Here’s my question to those who come from countries that have hosted it-- Did you see a benefit from having the games? If so, how? If not, why?

Truth be told I’m :pray: we don’t win.

Without knowing anything about a) the quality of the bids, b) the level of bribery involved, I’d say the following:

The Olympics have been in Asia too recently, and of course, they will have been in Europe too recently too by then. America has had it plenty of times, though not too recently. Furthermore, they’ve never been in South America, and they’ve only been in Latin America once. I’d say for those reasons alone, Rio already has a huge head start; plus everyone knows they’d have a wicked party atmosphere to the whole event from start to finish. To fuck that up would be telling.

Wow, didn’t realize that. Guess they’re due!

Yeah. In fact, they’ve only been out of Europe and the U.S. seven times I believe (Melbourne, 1956; Tokyo, 1964; Mexico City, 1968; Montreal 1976; Seoul, 1988; Sydney, 2000; Beijing, 2008).

There’s a huge swathe of land from central Asia all the way south to the Cape of Good Hope that has never had an Olympics. Undoubtably that’s because many parts of these regions are not developed enough (either in material terms or in terms of being backward enough to think that there’s something wrong with a woman running around in shorts).

Brazil is rapidly getting its shit together though, and I doubt it’s any less developed than Mexico was back in 1968. Who wouldn’t like to see a lot of bikinis and hear some awesome music in the opening ceremony? They wouldn’t even need to choreograph it in some bullshit act of state propaganda, as you know all sorts of crazy shit would happen spontaneously in Brazil and it would be the best opening ceremony for the next hundred years. I heard they handed out 25,000 condoms to athletes at the Sydney Olympics. You’d need to stick at least one zero on the end of that for a Rio Olympics.

It took Montreal something like 30 years to retire the dept from hosting the 76 games.

Chicago? Oh please, not the US again!

(after Los Angeles, Atlanta, Lake Placid and Salt Lake City…)

[quote=“Chris”]Chicago? Oh please, not the US again!

(after Los Angeles, Atlanta, Lake Placid and Salt Lake City…)[/quote]

Don’t forget St Louis. One of the really early Summer Games was held there, but I can’t remember which. Apparently, it used to be a happening place.

I hope that Rio gets it.

If only because Europe will have just had it, it has just been in Asia… and well… can you imagine all the “Terror levels” and security checks that the US will put it through?

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Without knowing anything about a) the quality of the bids, b) the level of bribery involved, I’d say the following:

The Olympics have been in Asia too recently, and of course, they will have been in Europe too recently too by then. America has had it plenty of times, though not too recently. Furthermore, they’ve never been in South America, and they’ve only been in Latin America once. I’d say for those reasons alone, Rio already has a huge head start; plus everyone knows they’d have a wicked party atmosphere to the whole event from start to finish. To fuck that up would be telling.[/quote]

Evidently Chicago scored high on it’s bid and the level of bribery? Ha that’s an Olympic event itself in Chicago. :smiley:

PLEASE NOT THE US AGAIN. im betting for RIO.

Come on, show a bit of patriotism.

Central Asia and large swathes of Africa and South America are not ready for the OL. Hope they will be one day, it’s a great coming out party. I for one would love to see the OL in Almaty or Lagos one day.

[quote=“Mr He”]Come on, show a bit of patriotism.

Central Asia and large swathes of Africa and South America are not ready for the OL. Hope they will be one day, it’s a great coming out party. I for one would love to see the OL in Almaty or Lagos one day.[/quote]

Dude, they gave it to that third world shithole, Greece. Remember when everyone was worried as to whether everything would be ready in time? I’m sure Brazil could hold a good Games.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”][quote=“Mr He”]Come on, show a bit of patriotism.

Central Asia and large swathes of Africa and South America are not ready for the OL. Hope they will be one day, it’s a great coming out party. I for one would love to see the OL in Almaty or Lagos one day.[/quote]

Dude, they gave it to that third world shithole, Greece. Remember when everyone was worried as to whether everything would be ready in time? I’m sure Brazil could hold a good Games.[/quote]

I said large swathes of, i did not say all of. The ABC countries would be able to pull it off, I have my doubts about the rest.

I mean, OL in La Paz?

Long live the Olympic dreams of the Great Republic of Kazakhstan !

Astana 2020.

Can they afford it?

Mr He: I wasn’t saying all those countries were ready, merely that the Olympics have traditionally been an American/Western European thing (obviously for good reason), but there are plenty of countries rapidly modernising.

What are the ABC countries? Anywhere with large Chinese communities?