Olympics - Beijing 2022 political thread

Since the other Olympic thread has the OP requesting no politics, let us have another thread for the politics.

Personally, I’ve always thought the Olympics were a little silly. This time around the Olympics are clearly political, what are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes
1 Like

During the opening ceremony, what was the exact Chinese phrase used to refer to the Taiwan team? I know that the English designation is “Chinese Taipei”, but I was curious about the Chinese phrasing.

I just pulled up a video of the ceremony and they were introduced as Zhongguo Taibei (basically, “Taipei, China”), instead of the other term (Zhonghua I believe) that refers to “Chinese” in the cultural sense

1 Like

Wow, that’s a change. What about English? Still “Chinese Taipei”?

Yeah

I’m obviously not even Taiwanese but this kind of thing really pisses me off

2 Likes

I thought Taiwan’s participation in the games was going suspiciously smoothly.

Maybe they misheard? Taiwan is still listed here and here the same as before (Chinese Taipei and 中华台北, respectively).

1 Like

Nah, here’s the video:

The announcer in the stadium definitely says Zhongguo

1 Like

Fair enough. To be honest, it sounds like “Zhonghua” to me, but I’m hardly the best judge of Chinese pronunciation.

It starts around 22:45 in the video, in case @tempogain or someone else wants to listen.

Also, interesting subsequent sentence: “Baseball is the country’s most popular sport.” I guess that commentator won’t be getting invited back lol. (Seems to be a Pakistani news channel.)

1 Like

dang, I think you’re right

when I was watching it earlier I thought the “other word” for Chinese was more different. Because I think TaiwanNews said it was “Chunghua” and I knew I heard Zhong…

2 Likes

Chung and Zhong are the same pronunciation. Just different romanisation systems.

3 Likes

I thought so, but isn’t Chunghwa Mobile pronounced like English Ch?

It’s not supposed to. Not only did someone actually upload a video about a Taiwanese telco’s name, but even in their pedantry…they still got it wrong.

I still say Xinzhu when I am referring to Hsinchu.

Taipei gets a pass because it’s famous and everyone mispronounces Wade Giles.

Chunghwa Telecom does not have such worldwide notoriety.

2 Likes

ah I’ve never known how to pronounce Hsinchu ha

Is your pronunciation correct?

1 Like

Of course my pronunciation is correct. I speak Chinese.

2 Likes

ah, was just confused

(Back to your regularly scheduled programming)

2 posts were split to a new topic: From Genocide Olympics

No, I think it’s good that we have a place to discuss specifically related to China’s human rights abuses with regards to the Olympics.

I am glad that someone made a separate thread though. For those who want to know what’s happening in the sports, go to the other thread. For those who want to kaobei the CCP and IOC, this is the place to do that.

1 Like

2016 Presidential Candidate (before she was yanked out) and then KMT Chair Hung Hsiu-chu thought it’s a great idea!

https://twitter.com/RossFeingold/status/1489211175095386119

Guy