šŸ„‡ Olympics - The Tokyo Olympics 2021

Thereā€™s a little joke video being passed around among Amis. The judo star that won silver is saying "I wanted goldā€™ (wo yao jin pai), and then a dubbed voice says ā€œbut there was only Heineken.ā€ Terrible joke. But Iā€™m glad Amis can laugh at themselves.

3 Likes

My main point to your suggestion is that most athletes arenā€™t well known until theyā€™ve won a medal, and these individual events arenā€™t interesting when you donā€™t have something to root for. When I said that, Iā€™m mostly talking about track and field events. If you are splitting track and field events over multiple nations at the same time, then many cross-event athletes wonā€™t be able to participate in all the events they are good at.

Are there any pure Han athletes performing for Taiwan? These indigenous should get their own flagā€¦

3 Likes

This is shaping up to be one of the best Olympics for Taiwan. Already at 1G 2S 2B. Badminton (World No. 1 in Womenā€™s Singles and No. 3 in Menā€™s doubles) and Table Tennis (already in Quarter finals) events remaining. A boxing quarter final against India as well where Taiwan is a heavy favorite.

Could end with 2+ Golds and ~9-10 medals!

1 Like

Itā€™s the Japanese water :joy:

The swimmer, but he didnā€™t make it through to the final race. Too bad. I would like to see some good swimming and cycling from Taiwanese. You know, some more real sports!

1 Like

This one maybe?

3 Likes

Yeah well Feng Jun Kai was his usual DNF in the cycling road race. Also indigenous.

2 Likes

ā€œreal sportsā€ā€¦ Pfff

He did incredibly well in the heats and missed out on the finals by 0.2 seconds. If he could repeat his heat time in the semifinal, he would be #2 qualifier in the final and a strong candidate for a bronze medal.

He still has 100m butterfly remaining btw. Letā€™s see if he can make the finals there.

Also, heā€™s like 175cm apparently, thatā€™s a good 15-20cm shorter than those American and Australian swimmers. His timings are really good for Asian contestants. And heā€™s only 19!

2 Likes

Yet another reason the mind-blowingly idiotic ā€œCHINESE TAIPEIā€ moniker must go!

Guy

1 Like
3 Likes

Rugby sevens quarter finals were intense!

Wow, Taiwan with yet another bronze in Womenā€™s 64kg weightlifting! Chen Wen-Huei! :fire:

4 Likes

Taiwan is now at 6 medals (1G 2S 3B), making it the most medals weā€™ve ever won at the Olympics. And this is still Day 4, with several Badminton, Table Tennis and Boxing medal events still remaining. Amazing!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s quite a lot of medals considering that Taiwan only sent 68 athletes.

1 Like

Yep! A lot of unexpected medalists such as Lo Chia-Ling in Taekwondo! We still have our strongest bits left and I think we may be able to push to 10+ medals :smiley:

2 Likes

Christ were they ever. Argentina decided to play with six and then five. How the hell did they win?

How the hell did USA lose too? All four quarter finals were great. Even Canada gave NZ a run for their money.

Pressure beyond what we can imagine.

3 Likes

Speaking of which: does anyone know how Naomi Osaka is doing?

Guy