Olympics

should taiwan fight to raise their flag at the olympics?

• yeah sure
  • maybe
  • are you crazy… the status quo man NONONO

0 voters

i was reading an article in the taipei times comment at the weekend - trying to find the direct link to it now

anyways

here it talks about what taiwan’s options are in the upcoming olympics and whilst chatting with my friend I thought of a much better idea than using chinese taipei name taipei’s flag and the “raise the flag anthem”

just request them all to “Chinese Free Taiwan”, use a similar theme on a white flag and write a pop song with words like “stop buggin me, im my own country…” :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

then when china says you cant have that - just say, we’ll use these ones then (and replace the national symbols) simple no :smiling_imp:

Ideally, yes, Taiwan should be able to raise its flag at the Olympics. But in the past, even in 1996 in the US (“land of the free”), reaction against fans raising the ROC flag was swift. I can’t imagine what it would be like in China.

In 2000 I visited Tiananmen Square, and some Falun Gong practitioners began unfurling a Falun Gong banner. Immediately they were surrounded by plainclothes cops popping out of the woodwork and were hauled off to a waiting police bus.

One plainclothes officer ran toward them, passing right in front of us with lightning speed - I’ve never seen anyone run so fast in my life. Come to think of it, he should take part in the Olympic 100-meter dash!

To pull off something like that, you’d have to get past the greatest censor of them all, the International Olympic Committee (IOC). They generally do a good job of policing and making sure that their members adhere to protocol.

Believe me, they kowtow readily to Beijing and wouldn’t mind banning ROC (“Chinese Taipei”) athletes from participating in future games in retaliation for such a stunt.

Taiwan always uses its Olympic Committee flag, no matter where the games take place. So in Beijing the same thing will happen, unless the Chinese really play nasty and even don’t accept that flag.

Taiwan doesn’t have a flag, but the Republic of China does. Get the nomenclature right in the poll and you might get more responses.

By ‘fans,’ do you mean the people in the audience at the games? Did audience members raise the ROC flag? Or do you mean that the Taiwanese athletes raised the ROC flag? What was the reaction, by the way? I’ve never heard anything about this before.

Yes, I can’t imagine the amount of hatred or violence that might happen to anyone who is in China and raises the ROC flag, especially at the Beijing Olympics. I certainly wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of a fist or a Billy club.

I presume that the display of the ROC flag is illegal in China. Does anyone know for sure?

so why do taiwanese players in sports NOT allied to the IOC also have to abide by that stupid “Chinese Taipei” flag rule. i have seen it in golf and in motorsports, and in snooker. i am sure there are others too.

taiwan needs to raise the international consciousness of its plight at every opportunity, as china is a big bully of sports organisations. woudn’t mind seeing them banned for mutliple drug violations at the next games, like the east germans should have been… that’d be nice to uncover.

[quote=“urodacus”]so why do Taiwanese players in sports NOT allied to the IOC also have to abide by that stupid “Chinese Taipei” flag rule. i have seen it in golf and in motorsports, and in snooker. i am sure there are others too.

taiwan needs to raise the international consciousness of its plight at every opportunity, as china is a big bully of sports organisations. woudn’t mind seeing them banned for mutliple drug violations at the next games, like the east germans should have been… that’d be nice to uncover.[/quote]

Well, I suppose the next big opportunity to showcase Taiwan would be the World Games, to be held in Kaohsiung in 2009. Even though it’s the “Other Olympics”, you can be sure that the central government is going to be putting a great deal of resources into creating facilities rivalling that of the Olympics. Probably won’t surpass the $2 billion spent by Beijing to improve their traffic grid, but perhaps the residents can finally enjoy the completed subway and other civic improvements. Everyone ought to bring an ROC flag to work during the duration of the games.

Background as to why the Republic of China competes under the “Chinese Taipei” banner:

Taken from the International World Games website [worldgames-iwga.org/]

so how is ‘chinese taipei’ less degrading to the spirit of an independent taiwan than ‘Taiwan, China’?

it is even more degrading as there is no mention of a country there, just a city and a confusing adjective that can mean a cultural, racial, or geopolitical grouping.

as soon as aBian gets a bit of momentum renaming things taiwan instead of ROC or China, then taiwan can flap its own name (and maybe a new flag) around much more proudly. and tell the chinese communists to stop crying and get with the program.

but until there is international recognition of taiwan as an independent country, there is not a hope in hell of hosting the olymprics here in taiwan.

So do we think CSB will declare independence right before the Olympics to force the PRC to choose between the Olympics or Taiwan?

The nutter would need to adjust the election date for 2008 as well.

Let’s start with small steps shall we? How about be able to take a ROC flag into an Olympic arena without a neanderthal, ML hic attacking you, or the security removing you from the arena, for an event that involves an ROC athlete?

‘Chinese Taipei’ makes everyone look stupid.

dumb question…if locals are too gutless to wave a taiwan flag at a footy qualifier within taiwan who the hell would fight to raise a flag in the enemy’s lair…

what we should all do is get the green taiwan flag tattooed on our upper bodies and walk around beijing topless (um the guys i mean, girls can get lower back tattoos)…

course we’d get our heads kicked in but it’s be a hell of a story for the grandchildren