Oma Ursel's German Restaurant & Bakery

So I went to Oma Ursel’s (歐嬤烏蘇拉德式美食屋) on Yongkang St tonight and wow…I am impressed, went with 4 other friends we got the Pig Foot Stew which was amazing, 2 Plates of the 5 sausage combo’s, and a Pork schnitzel all combo meals that came along with a basket of German breads, salad which was so-so and soup, and a piece from there cake selection we ordered an extra 2 for good measure pumpkin pie, Black Forest chocolate, Lemon Chocolate layered cake, Boysenberry Cake, Caramel Walnut, all very excellent the total bill came to 1800NT and all 5 of us were stuffed to the brim, there was a 20% discount going on but even at the regular price its deft. worth checking out if your into German food

Good bread too for take out.

Do you know more details about this discount? Is it for lunch and/or dinner? Good on the weekends? How long will it last?

Thanks for the post. I’ve been meaning to try this place out.

I think the discount ends march 31st and I think its for all meals too lunch/dinner not 100% sure about lunch

I was there for lunch at about 1:00 a few years ago. I went with a friend.

When we got there there was only one other table of people there. My friend had already eaten and ordered a drink. The owner of the place (The Wife) told him that there was a NT150 minimum. I told her that I was going to eat and that he had eaten already so wasn’t hungry.

She said that we couldn’t stay if he didn’t pay the minimum charge.

We left.

I never went back.

Their cakes are to die for…

The new Oma Ursel’s opens on Saturday, April 10, 11.30 am
All invited to join in and enjoy.
Same nice breads, lovely pastries, German food. New, totally remodeled location. Look how cute:

New Address:
No. 8, Lane 10, Yungkang Street, Taipei 10651

Isn’t that the same location it always was out? Or different wee alley?

Nein. They moved out of the old location. It is a different wee alley.

Looks great! Thanks for the info on the opening date.

I went in last week for some bread, and they were in the process of moving. The new location is just an alley or two away from the old one–a bit closer to Yongkang Park.

It is like the second alley to the right, by the middle of the park. The building I am sure it is going to become a landmark in the area. :thumbsup:

Anyway, just follow the smell of German sausages. :lick:

Some images of what you can expect there:

To come clean, first of all, my vested interest in this matter:

For those of you who like more liquid stuff:

Nice beginnings - soup and bread with 3 different kinds of pates:

Main course -herring is great, plus the special meatloaf:

The prices are reasonable, there are lunch specials too and light fare, plus several all vegetarian dishes. I strongly reccommend the bread, and of course, the cakes.

Yay!

Thanks for the post (and the pics), Icon! Looks great!

[quote=“Icon”]For those of you who like more liquid stuff:

[/quote]

König Ludwig Dunkel from Kaltenberg? Is that really what they are serving there? Or they just go the glasses, and fill them with something less noble than the printing suggests? I guess I gotta go there to find out :slight_smile:

[quote=“olm”][quote=“Icon”]For those of you who like more liquid stuff:

[/quote]

König Ludwig Dunkel from Kaltenberg? Is that really what they are serving there? Or they just go the glasses, and fill them with something less noble than the printing suggests? I guess I gotta go there to find out :slight_smile:[/quote]

Yep, I asked. What is inside is what says outside.

Ah, and the meatloaf is Fleisehkase.

[quote=“Icon”]Yep, I asked. What is inside is what says outside.

Ah, and the meatloaf is Fleisehkase.[/quote]

Great - Thanks for confirming! I used to live pretty close to that … uhm… castle? Palace? Stately Home? where it is brewed, and I was really fond of that beer.

Well, I will try it out and report back here - in a while, since I very recently was forced :wink: to go to Smoky Inn, and I don’t really need so much foreign food, what with all the yummy Chinese stuff around :slight_smile:

[quote=“Icon”]Nice beginnings - soup and bread with 3 different kinds of pates:

The prices are reasonable, there are lunch specials too and light fare, plus several all vegetarian dishes. I strongly reccommend the bread, and of course, the cakes.[/quote]
I was there yesterday evening for dinner at around 7:30. The waitresses were friendly, but a little oblivious. That’s ok - that’s pretty standard. The meat soup I had was great, but the tomato vegetable soup my wife ordered was SO sweet that it was inedible. I thought my wife was being dramatic until I tried some - yuck! To their credit, they replaced her soup with a meat soup very quickly.

The bread was good, but the goop they suggest you put on the bread is NOT [wikipedia]pâté[/wikipedia]. The spreads offered were strawberry flavour, fruit yogurt flavour, sweet pumpkin flavour, etc. They all tasted like Taiwanese uber-processed dessert fillings, that is to say, not very good. I asked for butter for my bread and the waitress looked confused, but got some from the kitchen.

Then the main course. I had the roast pork with purple cabbage, and Vanessa had the beef goulash. Trudi had a side order of fried potatoes, onions, and bacon with two fried eggs on top.
The pork was horrible, no two ways about it. About half of it was hard - rock hard - it seemed to be the hardened rind of the skin or something. At any rate, it was so hard that it couldn’t be chewed and the flavour wasn’t enticing enough to make me want to. I ordered fried potatoes and onions as a side dish, but I got only 4 small slices of potato buried under not-quite-caramelized onions. The cabbage was ok. V’s beef goulash was also characterized by the dry, tough beef, which is not what goulash is supposed to be like. She filled up on bread.
Trudi’s fried potatoes were ok, but not very warm, and not very crispy. The fried eggs were good.

Dessert was good. I had the chocolate banana coffee dessert and V and Trudi shared a piece of chocolate mousse cake. They both liked it a lot.

We had a good time, the atmosphere was nice, we were in a good mood, and the service was friendly. Still, our food was so bad that we decided we won’t go back. Oh well.

Oma Ursel’s has a bakery near taipower MRT, right beside the DPP youth headquarters. From Taipower MRT exit 2 head south. Cross the road and make an immediate left. Take the first right and it’s about 50m up on the left.

Excuse me Mucha Man, could you please post a google map to this bakery? Cheers

Excuse me Muzha Man, could you please post a google map to this bakery? Cheers[/quote]

maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&sa … 97bd3f5fd8