On-Off Login Problem

Goose egg,
I am currently having a hell of a time with the forum. I need to relog 3 to 4 time whenever i want to publish a post on any of the forum’s topics.
I am using firefox, on a clean computer, with a software firewall. I am tech savvy enough to know that this problem is very unlikely to come from my configuration.
Hope this is only temporary (yes, i’ve read the message on top of the page).
Ed

Are you referring to a problem on the forums or the classifieds? Just want to make sure

I am refering to the forum, and the problem has been on-off several times in the past hours. It is making trouble as i am posting this.

I am refering to the forum, and the problem has been on-off several times in the past hours. It is making trouble as i am posting this.[/quote]Hi Ed

Thanks for the feedback

I was making changes to the forums last night - from around 11-ish to 2-ish. These could have affected your posting (sounds to me you were unlucky)

Did you try the forums throughout the day? There shouldn’t have been any major hiccups during the day today.

Gus,
Problem is still exactly the same.
It has been on-off for the entire day.
Ed

I’m sorry to hear this, Ed.

Please double check your browser’s cookie settings. Let us know the type of connection you have. The more information you provide will help pinpoint the problem. If others on Forumosa do not recognize the problem from what you post, I will use your information when I search for support on phpBB.com (feel free to look for answers there yourself)

I’ll be honest with you: I’m pretty happy with the upgrade so far - performance remains fast (addressing arguments against the bells and whistles), we are more secure than ever, and we’ve resolved a number of behind the scenes problems we were tolerating for years.

Don’t get me wrong - this isn’t perfect. But this has been the fastest, cleanest, least eventful installation of Forumosa in 8 years - we’ve undergone 5 major upgrades in this time.

I was getting the exact same problem a few weeks back if I tried to use F.com from my wife’s laptop at home, but it seems to work OK now, even though I did not alter any of the settings.

Goose Egg,

The problem that Ed describes sounds like the same one that you and I have talked about a few times over the last several months. I was hoping that the server upgrade would fix that problem as it is really annoying and has resulted in a number of dropped posts, reset “new” post counters, etc. Since the upgrade, I’ve still experienced this problem. There must be some info out there on what this problem is and how to fix it. Hopefully, we’ll come across it someday.

Otherwise, glad the upgrade went well.

Seeker4

Yes. And has the upgrade helped you? i am very curious. The switch happened last Thu 25 May.

I know that the upgrade has not helped Truant, who continues to have “session” problems from one of his regular connections.

I am hoping to hear this kind of response:[quote=“sandman”]I was getting the exact same problem a few weeks back if I tried to use F.com from my wife’s laptop at home, but it seems to work OK now, even though I did not alter any of the settings.[/quote]

[quote=“Goose Egg”]And has the upgrade helped you? I am very curious. The switch happened last Thu 25 May.

I know that the upgrade has not helped Truant, who continues to have “session” problems from one of his regular connections.[/quote]
Sorry, I was editing while you were posting. In short, no, it hasn’t helped. The problem still exists. Oddly, this problem is intermittent and occurs from different computers (on my end). I’m with Ed on this one – don’t think it is related to the user’s computer.

I’ve had the same problem today in various forums.

I can be browsing a forum logged in and when I hit ‘reply’ to the thread I have to log in again. Sometimes.

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“Goose Egg”]And has the upgrade helped you? I am very curious. The switch happened last Thu 25 May.

I know that the upgrade has not helped Truant, who continues to have “session” problems from one of his regular connections.[/quote]
Sorry, I was editing while you were posting. In short, no, it hasn’t helped. The problem still exists. Oddly, this problem is intermittent and occurs from different computers (on my end). I’m with Ed on this one – don’t think it is related to the user’s computer.[/quote]
So you cannot isolate it to a certain computer, like the way sandman has?

I could extend the session times (I think it’s 30 minutes of inactivity), but I doubt this would help these problems.

[quote=“Goose Egg”]So you cannot isolate it to a certain computer, like the way sandman has?

I could extend the session times (I think it’s 30 minutes of inactivity), but I doubt this would help these problems.[/quote]
No. It has happened on more than one computer and access infrastructure (home and work). The intermittent nature of the problem is important as well. This thing comes and goes. Sometimes it hits for a day or so and makes using the forums impractical, if not impossible. Then, it goes away.

Since before this problem, I’ve been really lethargic about doing computer upgrades. The only thing I upgrade regularly is the anti-virus database. My point is that I change nearly nothing significant on my end for months (really years) at a time. My end is basically static.

As far as the session time out goes, I agree that it won’t help. However, that is exactly the way this problem presents itself – as if the login session had somehow timed out midstream. Clearly though, that shouldn’t be happening 5 seconds after logging in. And then one minute after the second login, etc, etc. The proposed solution of clearing the cookies and temp internet files had no positive effect.

I can’t say I’ve experienced the problem that Ed and Truant are happening, but I do have a minor quibble (hopefully not too far off-topic for this thread):

I have set “Hide my online status” to “On” in the member (profile) centre, but find that since the upgrade it seems to be “Off” by default, and I have to use the “Hide my online status this session” option when logging in. Does this new option override the profile setting?

Also, the “Log me in automatically” option doesn’t work for me. Never has, come to think of it.

Cheers

I am having a problem accessing my Forumosa account on my PDA. No problems logging into my work or home computers. However, when I log into Forumosa on my PDA phone, it says I am banned. I’ve cleared the memory, history, cookies etc. but it still won’t let me view the main page. I can only load the “critical information” page (a familiar site to those people who have spent time in the cooler).

Gus;

I’m getting logged out whenever I try to go to another forum without hitting the back icon in Firefox.

The menu at the bottom of the page would (previously and now - It never has worked correctly for me) log me out and go to the forum. However, the hotlinks at the top of the page worked before but they don’t work now (meaning that they “un-log” me). I mean I automatically get logged out.

I log in and when I’m in a forum and want to go back to the index, it logs me out. I get to the index but have to log in again. ???

Please don’t tell me I have to have cookies on. I always keep them off unless the site forces it. Cookies are evil cult! If they are required are they really required? If optional, please hack it so they are not required.

Also, the search has the default set to one of the terms. Can you change the default back to all of the terms? Thanks.

I know you are a busy man, thanks for all the effort. :bravo:

I’m sorry to say, elektronisk, that this forum uses both cookies and session IDs to keep track of your logins. So you have hit the nail right on the head. I realize that this isn’t good for you, but it is the most convenient arrangment for the most Forumosans, and the only set up for phpBB that I am aware of.

If I learn of a stable, non-cookie, non-session ID based authorization system for phpBB (translation: you’ll have to find it for me :idunno:), I’ll take a hard look at that. But no guarantees: like all open source platforms, we have to tolerate/embrace a neverending upgrade path because of security and capacity (phpBB is notoriously inefficient). So if installing such a non-traditional system means abandoning it in the next cycle of upgrades, then there is little reason to put it in in the first place.

Is there anyone else who accesses Forumosa on a mobile device who can share some insight? I am not familiar with the platform and have never set up my phone.

Chewy, you can search the phpBB.com forums for assistance. If you do solve it, please post your solution over here

There is only one place this is set - in your profile preferences. I checked yours from my end, and confirmed that it was indeed set to off. I changed it to “On” and then went back to check again - it’s “On”. This isn’t a session or cookie based setting, and none of the Override settings have been switched on. Post again if you are still having a problem, but don’t forget that there is a treasure trove of support at phpbb.com

This is a cookie situation. If they have never worked for you, then double check your browser’s cookie settings (they need to be switched on for the auto-login to work)

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“Goose Egg”]So you cannot isolate it to a certain computer, like the way sandman has?

I could extend the session times (I think it’s 30 minutes of inactivity), but I doubt this would help these problems.[/quote]
No. It has happened on more than one computer and access infrastructure (home and work). The intermittent nature of the problem is important as well. This thing comes and goes. Sometimes it hits for a day or so and makes using the forums impractical, if not impossible. Then, it goes away.

As far as the session time out goes, I agree that it won’t help. However, that is exactly the way this problem presents itself – as if the login session had somehow timed out midstream. Clearly though, that shouldn’t be happening 5 seconds after logging in. And then one minute after the second login, etc, etc. The proposed solution of clearing the cookies and temp internet files had no positive effect.[/quote]
I’ve added a an extra 0 to the session lengths (so it’s now 25 hours long!) - but I agree, this is unlikely to address the problem. That said, there isn’t much else I can do - I don’t recognize this to be a problem for more people. But I haven’t done an exhaustive survey of this problem. The moderating team has reported an issues to me (I consider them a good sample of heavy users), and my own setups don’t have the problem.

I am open to ideas and solutions - but for now, my options are limited