On-Off Login Problem

I’m sorry to say, elektronisk, that this forum uses both cookies and session IDs to keep track of your logins. So you have hit the nail right on the head. I realize that this isn’t good for you, but it is the most convenient arrangment for the most Forumosans, and the only set up for phpBB that I am aware of.

If I learn of a stable, non-cookie, non-session ID based authorization system for phpBB (translation: you’ll have to find it for me :idunno:), I’ll take a hard look at that. But no guarantees: like all open source platforms, we have to tolerate/embrace a neverending upgrade path because of security and capacity (phpBB is notoriously inefficient). So if installing such a non-traditional system means abandoning it in the next cycle of upgrades, then there is little reason to put it in in the first place.[/quote]

Thanks Gus.

I can accept your explanation. Since I’m probably in the minority, I’ll try to fix my problem using other means than having you change the site. I’ll look to see if there is an extension that provides a cookie on/off icon on the menu so I can easily turn cookies on when I come to F.com and turn them off when I leave with one click.

Does anyone know of a Firefox extension that will do this? What I need is an icon that can sit in the toolbar that can turn cookies on and off.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Oh, “justice” is cruel isn’t it my friend. :wink:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Kisses. When are you going to get out to smoke more of my cigarettes? I’ve got too many. :double wink:

There is only one place this is set - in your profile preferences. I checked yours from my end, and confirmed that it was indeed set to off. I changed it to “On” and then went back to check again - it’s “On”. This isn’t a session or cookie based setting, and none of the Override settings have been switched on. Post again if you are still having a problem, but don’t forget that there is a treasure trove of support at phpbb.com
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

Well, I checked my profile preferences, confirmed that the Hide function was set at “On”, then logged out & logged in again without activating “Hide my online status this session”, and found that the profile setting had switched back to “Off”. I’ve since reset it to “On” btw, but it doesn’t seem to want to stay there.

:s

Hya Gus,
Problem has happened today again (mildly though), but is now gone.
Just to add a few details about my configuration: I am using firefox 1.5.0.3 with a software firewall (keryo), on an adsl connection (on a pc with winXP).
Never had a single issue with cookies, specially since i am managing my own phpbb board (though not on the same level of complexity as f.com).
I sometime have to log in 5 or 6 time in a row (once log-in button is pushed i am resent to the same log-in window).
I have to say this has kind of turned me off with f.com since it can be such a pain to post.
I have unfortunately no way to test the problem on another computer.