On sexual crimes and false accusations

I’d use the word women. However, I would view it differently as men are more powerful than women and should be able to handle themselves in situations like this. I appreciate that I am a bit old-fashioned in that respect.

I should repeat that the guy was cleared of all allegations made against him, as it appears that people are presuming guilt.

He was molesting or pressuring young men potentially . Since neither side wanted to publicise it we have to rely on rumour. I really don’t see the difference though , men or women deserve a safe and fair environment to work in.

1 Like

when the power is not physical, gender doesn’t matter.

I’m not talking on his specific case, but in general.

2 Likes

This is an unfortunate turn of phrase.

3 Likes

I’m not going to discuss issues in general. This thread was started by a mod. My initial post was about a guy who suicided after being cleared of sexual assault allegations.

Someone else who permanently cancelled himself over bogus rape accusations.

This happens. My friend was falsely accused of rape by a girl who had a crush on him. She had major psychological issues like depression and self harm. He got kicked out of school (they asked to to leave) and basically walked around his high school years with that and became addicted to drugs.

Thankfully, last I heard he got himself clean.

2 Likes

Two weeks later the family was told the girl had dropped the allegation and that there would be no further action taken against Jay. But Camellia believes that the damage had already been done.

Note that the accuser is never identified in the news article. That’s the paradox of some people being presumed more innocent and some more guilty in rape proceedings.

1 Like

It seems an easy way to exact a permanent revenge on someone.

The thing is false rape accusations not only hurt those who have been falsely accused, but they also hurt real victims of rape and assault. If there’s too many fake reports then it will start to cast a shadow of a doubt over real reports. And as I said before, it also trivializes and makes a mockery of their unimaginable suffering and pain. So there’s many victims from fake accusations, both direct and indirect.

Making both accusers and defendants anonymous until a court rules seems like a logical solution.

1 Like

I don’t think he was accused of rape.
I’m not sure why that is being conflated with the case of this choreographer ?

What happened with this guy who suicided is that he gained a bad reputation by his own actions. He didn’t even challenge it in court. Why did he not launch an unfair dismissal case ?

Career suicide in most industries ,especially small ones that are publicly funded.

I was speaking more about fake accusations in general than that particular case.

It’s not good to conflate the two together in my opinion.

I wanted to clean the Morgue thread and create a space for the topic. I see no problem in discussing this specific case or similar cases in general, as long as people are clear on what’s been said.

2 Likes

Yeah well those cases are very different.

This guy Liam Scarlett and the kids falsely accused of rape, not the same.

I don’t have any issue with this thread, I just wanted to make it clear that I was only discussing a particular case that I considered unfair. Not sexual assault allegations vs. due process in general.

1 Like

An aspect of false rape accusations is that people around the accuser can’t think about it objectively and also become an issue. The grandfather of the girl was a wealthy and well connected guy and basically made my friends life a living hell from all aspects of life.

I know the grandfather was trying to be the good guy but he ended up as the villain without knowing it and ruined a young mans life.

2 Likes

Exactly. There is still a culture of blaming rape victims. The knee-jerk reaction of many is to imply that they aren’t telling the truth or that if they are they were somehow responsible for it. False reports of rape are extremely rare by comparison, same as false reports of other crimes.

As usual, my best examples are in a higher education context

A shame the Atlantic put up a paywall, I stopped checking the site but they used to be my favourite source of news and opinion

Happened to my cousin in the UK , anyway to cut a long story short his boss said his job was saved for him even while on remand, and would depend on the verdict. He was found not guilty of raping his girlfriend. He kept his job but lost his house. Turns out the lady had done exactly the same thing with her previous boyfriend, that was not allowed as evidence at trial. Anyway Innocent, kept his job lost his house, she was fine.