On Teaching Credentials In Taiwan (and Age!)

I hope I didn’t sound like I was talking over you. I’m sure you are fully aware of the obstacles you are likely to encounter. It just shocked me when I saw 70k starting salary in Taichung - that’s highly unlikely IMO, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

I STRONGLY suggest you lock up your personal name as a domain name - if available NOW! It is your brand no matter what you decide to do.

Also, you might want to check out Hainan Island, China as an alternative to Taiwan to start your Asian adventure - the place is BOOMING and offers far more opps for employment.

I’ve heard that the unis in Taipei are only taking PhD holders now. For an English teaching job!

That’s why I’m in Kaohsiung. :wink:

1 Like

Not better weather, overall quality of life etc?

1 Like

Sure. And it doesn’t hurt that my wife is also from Kaohsiung.

2 Likes

If I could convince my better half to move down south a uni job in Tainan or Kaohsiung would be the best. As it is, I’m stuck in Taofuckingyuan.

2 Likes

If you ever move to Kaohsiung, send me a PM and I’ll let you know if my uni is looking.

1 Like

The problem you’ll have with hustling is you can’t do it legally with an employer sponsored ARC. You can potentially get two other jobs, but you’re basically beholden to your main employer. You’re also screwed if you end up with a bad ARC sponsor, for 12 months at least.

I really hope I don’t sound too negative, just trying to be realistic.

I think Taiwan isn’t necessarily a good place for people looking for financial stability. Few places are one might say …

About five years back I was between jobs when in Taichung and took on some teaching gigs and publishing gigs. It’s true they look for younger white females in the schools. The publishing gig selling textbooks actually paid much better than teaching but it was seasonal.

Main problem is the low rate of pay and lack of hours available. You’d be getting a few hours three times a week from one place but they wouldn’t go over 16 hours per week because they don’t want to pay the labour and health insurance contributions (by the way they always had an excuse why hours were less, I don’t think they ever officially told me that was the limit but I figured it out myself ).
Don’t even bother with the online gigs terrible pay.

Not saying it wont work out , there are full time jobs in kindergartens and cram schools but it’s probably not going to be a walk in the park to get a full time salaried job. I think there may be more of them in the boondocks.

Think the advice about checking out China and Vietnam is good.

2 Likes

The kindy/ buxiban in the evenings is the easiest maximum monthly income for a new teacher. Illegal, though.

@BiggusDickus: I wouldn’t do anything to run afoul of laws. I suppose I meant that I am used to living lean and mean, when need be. The hustling part referred to the comment by DrewCutz (“You’ll probably have to drop your application off at more places than the average 20 something or early 30 something job-hunter…”)

And truly…I don’t see your comments (or others) as being negative…I know they are weighted in reality. :slight_smile:

1 Like

From your posts so far you come across as smart and I’m sure you’ll make it work in Taichung.