On the visa runs but will my passport be flagged?

I’ve done visa runs to HK,.Macau, S. Korea and my last one didn’t go so well. I usually wrote down any Hotel name when I visit S. Korea because they really don’t check and I’ve never gotten asked about it so I decided to write down a BS hotel name I made up on the address box I will be staying at in Taiwan. This was on my 3rd Visa run. The immigration officer asked me if where this Hotel was located, so I told him it was near the X train station. I was worrying but kept my cool. So he then asked me if he can see the hotel reservation and the hotel number and I was like oh :poop: I’m In deep :poop:. So I told him I don’t have the printed paper now because my friend booked it for me. So then he confronted me, are you lying to me? So I told him not at all. My friend booked it for me. I was quickly looking for my address I screenshot and saying here this is my friends address. I told him she is the one that booked the place for me. He was looking at me for a good 5 seconds and started writing the address on my immigration form for me. I couldn’t say it was my own place because I already told him a lie and didn’t want to contradict myself. He said I needed to write down the address and he let me pass…my heart was pounding as I walked out.

I’m about to do my 4th visa run and I am worried now so instead of coming to the same airport, I decided to go out and come back to another airport so I can avoid him…

1. Will there be any kind of red flag or record I messed up/lied in front of the immigration officer?

2. Is it legal for tourist visa’s to rent their own place?

3. If it is okay to rent a place with tourist visa, will mmigrations think I am working illegally?
    ( I was worried about mentioning renting my own place because I can’t say I work with a tourist visa…)

Thanks for the info/advice/pointers

You are not required to be staying at a hotel
Put the address where u live

It’s because if there is a need they want to be able to reach you

Like maybe you sat next to a person with Ebola

It’s good policy not to lie to immi officers anywhere
Things can get very unpleasant very quickly

2 Likes

Edited.

So it’s okay to write down my own address where I actually rented regardless if it’s a tourist visa for not?

That’s for them to know and you to guess. :doh:

1. Is it legal for tourist visa’s to rent their own place?

Yes. :rainbow:

1. If it is okay to rent a place with tourist visa, will mmigrations think I am working illegally?
    ( I was worried about mentioning renting my own place because I can’t say I work with a tourist visa…)

We are anti-illegal here. Don’t do it, period. :no_no:

They’ll probably be suspicious for other reasons before they get suspicious because of anything to do with your lease.

I decided to go out and come back to another airport so I can avoid him…

There’s an easy answer to that, but I’m trying to set a good example, so I’ll refrain from snarky comments and just wish you a successful transition away from your (hypothetical) lawlessness. :slight_smile: :heart:

Yes. This is not North Korea.

Doesn’t matter what airport you use, Taiwan systems are all quite connected. Any place you go will pull up the same information. Just notes unless you have an official action recorded. Immigration officer can do whatever they feel like at that moment.

They usually don’t chase it, but your landlord may or may not be paying the right taxes. Many don’t. Then they chase landlord and renter gets busted.

Some long time visa runners need to give advice. What’s best thing to say?

• I have my first few days planned bit nothing else.
  • or give true address of rented place.

I would think giving a rented address could be worst thing to do. Unless it’s absolutely ok with the landlord.

Nah, never in a million years. You’re just making up a scenario here. It has never happened, it never will.

3 Likes

Just book a cheap hostel on hotels.com or something for one night next time and use that address. That way you’re not lying, you have an address you can use, and if they decide to call and confirm, it’s a valid booking. As cheap as $300 for the night and will remove the stress.

1 Like

its fine to rent. if your landlords want to that is. i’ve done a million visa runs and always put my rented address. i think somebody asked if i was renting once and i said yea and that was it. its pretty weird to be lying. why are you worried about working illegally? are you working illegally…?

Well I am teaching English which there is nothing illegal about it but I am aware people can’t work with a tourist visa so this whole fiasco got me worried.

teaching english on a tourist visa or what?

There are plenty of schools in Taiwan willing to apply for work permits for their teachers. Just find one of those jobs, get your work permit and ARC, and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Yes I’m teaching English on a tourist visa

any particular reason you don’t want to work on an ARC?

Might be from a non eligible country to teach English.

:wall: :doh: :wall: :doh: :wall: :doh: :wall:

Okay, let’s all get this straight: working while foreign is illegal unless you have a work permit or something that exempts you from the work permit requirement, such as a marriage-based ARC. Any post encouraging illegal work will be severely “repressed” (as our friend @mad_masala would say).

I wish everyone a pleasant day. :rainbow:

Or night.

1 Like