Once upon a time

I was recently reminicsing about my early days in Taiwan. Adapting to a different culture was challenging, but though a lot of trial and error I finally settled in and tried my best to accept the Taiwanese way.

It was the trial and error thing that was sometimes frustrating and at times humorously embarrassing.

I remember the first time I saw a bettle nut girl.She was wearing only a bra and almost see through panties and had her head inside the window of a car to take his order. I thought to myself, “oh my god,they have Drive Though Hookers here!” Only to discover shortly thereafter (through an embassasing question to my boss) their true profession.

My first few months in Tawain I commuted via roller blades. It was only a five min skate to the school and I didn’t have the $ to buy a scooter. Durring my daily trecs to and from work, I was delighted how friendly people were,especially at intersections. So many drivers would honk as I skated by and I would respond with a friendly wave in return.What a friendl y little town I thought,only later to discover the real reason for their honking. :blush: (get the F*** outta my way)

Does anyone else has any funny stories about their early days in Taiwan?

Oh …I forgot …this is Taiwan,people don’t like to admit they made any mistakes…PAI SEI !

Once, I posted something I thought was witty on Forumosa, waited one day, and then got all snarky when I saw that nobody had responded.

[quote=“gomerpyle”]
Does anyone else has any funny stories about their early days in Taiwan?[/quote]

My early days in Taiwan were anything but funny. I spent my first year here building up my immunity to all that is wrong with the Taiwanese, from the way they treat animals to the bigotry and the lying.

I do have one amusing story. I was going for an interview in Shetou(Chunghua County). The Chinese pronunciation is shi3 dou1, but at the train station I asked for a ticket to shee toe. The ticket guy had no clue. I found that very frustrating, and let it show.

It was some time before I came to know what really happened. I often wonder what the ticket guy must have thought of this foreigner standing in front of his wicket yelling, “Wash head! Wash head!”

Coolness! This thread should be renamed “Once Upon a Time in Taiwan” :wink:

Nothing so amusing really… For me, Forumosa.com was the peak behind the curtain to get the Taiwan flavor before coming here. It’s been all that’s advertised and then some :laughing: :bravo: :blush: :raspberry: :unamused: :fume: :noway: :frowning: :s :astonished: :help: :loco: :sunglasses:

Good thread, yes.

I can’t report anything particularly amusing from my side. Just the usual – thinking I was supposed to eat the shells on the hairy beans and that sort of thing.

Oh yes, and for a few days at the beginning I did wonder whether “Huanying guanglin” was a garbled attempt at “good morning”.

Doesn’t everyone? I know I did, and I stupidly said good morning back. Then one day I clued in to the fact it was the middle of the afternoon.

quote:Once, I posted something I thought was witty on Forumosa, waited one day, and then got all snarky when I saw that nobody had responded.

LOL,was a little upset when I came home last night.This place I went to insisted that we drank 7 beers when we actually only drank four.You know,the “face” thing.

Didn’t mean to take it out on the forum.