Once were warriors: gene linked to Maori violence

[quote]Once were warriors: gene linked to Maori violence
August 9, 2006

MAORIS carry a “warrior” gene that makes them more prone to violence, criminal acts and risky behaviour,
a scientist has controversially claimed.

Dr Rod Lea, a New Zealand researcher, and his colleagues told an Australian genetics conference that Maori
men had a “striking over-representation” of monoamine oxidase - dubbed the warrior gene - which they say is
strongly associated with aggressive behaviour.

He says the unpublished studies prove that Maoris have the highest prevalence of this strength gene, first
discovered by US researchers but never linked to an ethnic group.

This explains how Maoris migrated across the Pacific and survived, said Dr Lea, a genetic epidemiologist at
the New Zealand Institute of Environmental Science and Research.

But he said the presence of the gene also “goes a long way to explaining some of the problems Maoris have”.

“Obviously, this means they are going to be more aggressive and violent and more likely to get involved in
risk-taking behaviour like gambling,” Dr Lea said before his presentation to the International Congress of
Human Genetics in Brisbane.

Dr Lea said he believed other, non-genetic factors might also be at play. “There are lots of lifestyle,
upbringing-related exposures that could be relevant here, so obviously the gene won’t automatically make
you a criminal.”

The same gene was linked to high rates of alcoholism and smoking. “In terms of alcohol-metabolising genes
we’ve found that Maori have a very unique genetic signature,” Dr Lea said.

“That influences their drinking behaviour, so they’re much more likely to binge drink than other groups …”

The researchers are now collecting thousands of DNA samples from Maoris to investigate these traits.

They can then work out precisely what role each gene plays and use this to explore these trends in the
mainstream populations.

“With Maori it’s easier to find the genes than it is in the broader Caucasian population so it’s a great
case study,” Dr Lea said.
SMH.com/AU[/quote]
Interesting bit of research. I have heard references to increased M.O. levels and increased risk-taking and/or anti-social behavior before.

Some further info here:
nzherald.co.nz/category/stor … d=10395491

Is there a racist gene? Or a white supremacist one?

Just wondering. You do seem to like posting bad reports about anyone other than white Americans.

TC, you’re a maroon.

Where’s the study for the Viking gene? the Crusader gene? the Jihad gene? the witch-burning gene? the white serial-killer gene? the Crips/Blood gene?

We are all descendants of survivors. And more often than not, that means our ancestors had to do a lot of unpleasant things to make sure they and their progeny survive.

So a lot of people in modern society down and out tend to drink, commit crime, etc. What’s the big revelation?

Maoris can be pretty violent, especially after a few drinks (although not as bad as the Pacific Islanders). The Maori were great warriors - brave, strong, and clever - and they gave the Brits a good run for their money in the 1860s Land Wars.

However, nowadays the Maori population is extremely diluted. It’s very uncommon to meet a full-blooded Maori; most are quarter or less.

Although “Maori population react angrily” was a pretty funny lead graf in this story, considering.
I liked the quote from Maori Party co-leader Tariana Turi though:

Some more interesting reading for you. :wink:

Study: Americans among world’s cash-poorest

Study: Americans lonely, isolated

Study: Americans aren’t as nice as they think they are

Study: Americans keep getting fatter and fatter

Study: Americans afraid, distrustful of Muslims

Study: Americans much sicker than foreign counterparts

Study: Americans ignore steps to better mood

Study: Americans lack basic driving knowledge

Study: Americans now twice as dependent on govt handouts

Study: 13 percent of Americans (35 million) living in poverty

[quote=“Stray Dog”]Some more interesting reading for you. :wink:

Study: Americans among world’s cash-poorest

Study: Americans lonely, isolated

Study: Americans aren’t as nice as they think they are

Study: Americans keep getting fatter and fatter

Study: Americans afraid, distrustful of Muslims

Study: Americans much sicker than foreign counterparts

Study: Americans ignore steps to better mood

Study: Americans lack basic driving knowledge

Study: Americans now twice as dependent on govt handouts

Study: 13 percent of Americans (35 million) living in poverty[/quote]

Why squeal on this? That’s interesting. :wink:

Let’s ban TC - he posted something that shows non-white people in a negative light.

TC, you are welcome to attend my next cultural sensitivity workshop.

Why on earth was that squealed upon? How strange. They’re all links to actual “research” studies, just like the Maori one.
And Almas, TC didn’t post something showing non-white people in a bad light. That scientist has a white man’s name. :wink:

I’m sure my American friends, of whom there are many, will understand my previous posts. Certainly no offense intended. So I’m very surprised that somebody is squealing about the studies on Americans.

Maybe I should have posted about non-native Americans? Black ones? Muslim ones? Chinese ones?

Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle! Can’t a guy post an article about something without giving a 5,000-word disclaimer about the fact that it may not be complete, may not fully be representative, does not completely explore all of the other cultures which might have some similar issues, etc. Pretty soon we’re not going to be able to talk about anything due to the infeasibility of reciting the desired disclaimer before every statement.

“While I acknowledge that other people may perceive the start of this day in a different way, and in fact may choose not to acknowledge it at all, which is, of course, an equally valid approach, nevertheless, I would like to say, if you don’t find it offensive or off-putting in any way … Good morning!”

They angrily reacted to reports that they are aggressive. Right.

Two of the most aggressive people I know are Kiwis. White ones, although they went to school with a lot of islanders and Maoris. Maybe the genes rubbed off. Can genes get transferred by rubbing?

Yes, I believe you can spread your genes by rubbing.

For those who didn’t get it, read this:

TainanCowboy wrote:

Got it? There.

Oh, and why do you think the All Blacks (that’s the NZ rugby team for the PC police!) are so good? 'Cause they got them Maoris!

Did I mention the Wallabies? :blush:

It sucks that any research like this automatically gets blown off as “racist” or something.

Them scientists already claim that there is such a thing as an alchoholic gene (and people seem to buy that.) How far fetched is it that the gene will be more prevelant in a centain “racial” group? Not very.

I think genetic research is going to show all kinds of crazy shit in the future. Them scientists will reveal shit like the mystery of white folks, dance skills, and why them never seem to go together.

I think people like Einstein, Michael Jordan, George W., etc. rely heavily on what they were genetically blessed (or un) with.

Point being, nice article TC.

Not much mana in modern Maori violence, off the rugby field of course. Mind you, I do like the way drunken Maori guys get all weepy just before they start smashing the shit out of everything in the room.

HG

I did quite a bit of research back in the early '90’s into amino acid supplements and their use in various health/mental theraputic applications.
It is my opinion that this paper is an adjunct to the research in that area.

[quote=“seeker4”]Jesus H. Christ on a bicycle! Can’t a guy post an article about something without giving a 5,000-word disclaimer about the fact that it may not be complete, may not fully be representative, does not completely explore all of the other cultures which might have some similar issues, etc. Pretty soon we’re not going to be able to talk about anything due to the infeasibility of reciting the desired disclaimer before every statement.

“While I acknowledge that other people may perceive the start of this day in a different way, and in fact may choose not to acknowledge it at all, which is, of course, an equally valid approach, nevertheless, I would like to say, if you don’t find it offensive or off-putting in any way … Good morning!”

They angrily reacted to reports that they are aggressive. Right.[/quote]

If you mean what you wrote above, then you are obviously supportive of my posts, right?

AP (Washington)
Speaking at the National Conference on Human Unusual and Morbid Behavior Under Genetics, Maori scientist Dr. I. M. Rasceezt presented his findings on whether Caucasians were possessed of a special violence gene. First, he noted that of history’s most brutal acts of colonization and warfare, European civilizations were responsible for the vast majority. “From the Spanish Conquest of South America to the US destruction of Fallujah,” Rasceezt observed, “Caucasians have engaged in destruction that the so-called savage races such as the Maori or the Asante can only dream of. No Maori ever dive-bombed helpless colonial populations. No Maori ever distributed smallpox-ridden blankets to a colonized people. No Maori ever used strategic bombers to level whole cities. No Maori ever trapped the adult male population of a single city inside that city, and then destroyed it. No Maori ever herded unwanted humans into death camps and burned and gassed them by the million. Clearly Caucasians have a special gene that propels them to carry out violence on a group and global scale, and we really ought to examine whether some kind of genetic therapy is available that will help them rid themselves of this propensity to murder helpless men, women, and children in their quest for global power.”

No. Because – duh – and this is a “duh” so profound only a geneticist could miss it – behavior isn’t caused by genes. It’s caused by cognitive mechanisms that are created in conjunction with environmental stimuli. To argue that a particular population is violent because it carries a particular gene simply misses out on the (1) cognitive and (2) interactionist nature of behavior. Not to mention, of course, that the definition of “violent” is a social construction that is not valid from the genetic point of view. The article is shit from top to bottom.

In other words, the geneticist should stick to his field, identifying genes and their distribution in populations, and leave the thinking about behavior to people who actually know something about it.

Michael