One China Policy

I don’t understand all the dissatisfaction in Taiwan government circles over the international community’s “One China Policy.”

China is China, and Taiwan is Taiwan. Isn’t that what the Taiwanese want? Why do the Taiwanese complain about the “One China Policy”? I must admit that I am baffled.

Perhaps other members of the internet community can offer some explanations.

Because the “One China Policy” goes on to say that Taiwan is part of China.

[quote=“marky”]I don’t understand all the dissatisfaction in Taiwan government circles over the international community’s “One China Policy.”

China is China, and Taiwan is Taiwan. Isn’t that what the Taiwanese want? Why do the Taiwanese complain about the “One China Policy”? I must admit that I am baffled.

Perhaps other members of the internet community can offer some explanations.[/quote]
Because as far as the Beijing government is concerned, the “One China Policy” is that there is one China, and Taiwan is a part of it … it’s not just that there is “One China”.

The replies given above are right on the mark . . . . . . however, I feel that the essence of the problem may be in the incorrect rendering of the verb tenses.

Taiwan is not currently under the administrative control of China. Foreign visitors (for example) who want to come to Taiwan cannot apply for relevant visas from China’s overseas Embassies. Taiwanese citizens pay no taxes to China, nor do Taiwanese males serve in the Chinese armed forces.

Hence, I believe it is more correct to say that the One China Policy may indeed reflect the international consensus that Taiwan will become a part of China, although at some undetermined date in the future.

I repeat that at the present time, Taiwan is not a part of China, legally anyway.

Therefore, if we accept the reality that Taiwan is Taiwan, and China is China, it seems that the One China Policy is a fair policy. Well, that is the way I read it . . . . . . and additionally, I note that no one in Taiwan has the authority to change this One China Policy . . . . . . so they had better get used to it, and/or find a way to conduct their lives within its parameters.

Again, I believe the way out of this problem is to stress that Taiwan is Taiwan.

No. The way out of this problem is not to stress that Taiwan is Taiwan. Taiwan is a province. It is not a country. The way out of ‘this problem’ is for the Taiwan independence activists to stop making trouble and give to the Taiwan people what they want: unite with their motherland. All the Chinese people on both shores know that Taiwan is part of China, only a few bad apples talk about independence. Only countries can be in the UN, Taiwan can’t be in the UN because it is not a country.

With all due respect, I cannot see how stressing that “Taiwan is Taiwan” will solve anything!

Honestly, what do you think it will achieve? Which problems will be solved? (I mean this sincerely, really.)

So, why is the commies in China so afraid of referendum on Taiwan’s status when there is only a minoroty group in Taiwan that promote independence?
They (the commies) should encourage such referendum be be held ASAP, so the majority in Taiwan can vote for unification, and Taiwan finally becomes part of China.

Long Live Taiwan Republic off China

This I do not understand. Taiwan was ceded to Japan in 1895. In the treaty which Japan signed after WWII, she gave up all right, claim, and title to “Formosa and the Pescadores”, however these areas were not given to China. Clearly, Taiwan does not belong to China. This is regardless of whether you consider the PRC or the ROC to be China.

This I agree with. Taiwan will never get into the UN because it is not a sovereign country.

No. The way out of this problem is not to stress that Taiwan is Taiwan. Taiwan is a province. It is not a country. The way out of ‘this problem’ is for the Taiwan independence activists to stop making trouble and give to the Taiwan people what they want: unite with their motherland. All the Chinese people on both shores know that Taiwan is part of China, only a few bad apples talk about independence. Only countries can be in the UN, Taiwan can’t be in the UN because it is not a country.[/quote]

If you go out there and talk to anybody about Taiwan, they would know what it is and where it is located. Yet, if you said REPUBLIC of CHINA, they wouldn’t have any idea what it is and where it is…

Taiwan is NOT part of China. Simple as that. China thinks we are because we have the Republic of China label that was given (pass on) to us. I don’t want some left over shit that was dump to us.

[quote=“X3M”]So, why is the commies in China so afraid of referendum on Taiwan’s status when there is only a minoroty group in Taiwan that promote independence?
They (the commies) should encourage such referendum be be held ASAP, so the majority in Taiwan can vote for unification, and Taiwan finally becomes part of China.[/quote]

Ha ha ha! That was funny X3M. Thanks for your humorous post. I needed a good laugh today!

It may not be so funny. Actually what X3X said is inverse thinking, which is what China lacks most when dealing with the Taiwan issue. I don’t think the majority of Taiwanese people want immediate independence either, but China is not sure, and they can’t bear the thought that Taiwan shrugs off their snarl and threat, and that Taiwanese people will exert more direct citizen rights and then may develop more autonomy against China.

Are you sure about that? I can’t tell you how many people in the US have said to me, “Oh, you live in Taiwan? I love Thai food!” or “Are you in Bangkok?” or “And where is that, exactly?” or “That’s where they make the…stuff, isn’t it?”

The confusion does not get better if/when you mix in the Republic of China when you try to explain what/where Taiwan is.

Are you sure about that? I can’t tell you how many people in the US have said to me, “Oh, you live in Taiwan? I love Thai food!” or “Are you in Bangkok?” or “And where is that, exactly?” or “That’s where they make the…stuff, isn’t it?”[/quote]

That’s true Poagao, but I also hear things like “So how’s Japan?” from some of my untraveled friends and relatives in the U.S. In their minds all Asian countries are the same. Oh well, at least they know which continent I’m in. :?

I didn’t know that Taiwan was in Asia before I arrived. I bought a plane ticket to Taiwan and assumed that it was in the Mid-East. I was here two years before I found a map and discovered I was living in the western Pacific.

I think that my parents in southwest Rhode Island still don’t know where I am. But . . . . it doesn’t matter . . . . . since email is universal.

Are you sure about that? I can’t tell you how many people in the US have said to me, “Oh, you live in Taiwan? I love Thai food!” or “Are you in Bangkok?” or “And where is that, exactly?” or “That’s where they make the…stuff, isn’t it?”[/quote]

That’s true Poagao, but I also hear things like “So how’s Japan?” from some of my untraveled friends and relatives in the U.S. In their minds all Asian countries are the same. Oh well, at least they know which continent I’m in. :?[/quote]

really??? Hmm… that is very interesting. I would said that it have happened to me before, but not a lot, maybe 1/10?! Or could be because every time I told them where I am from, I showed them my MAP and pointed it out where it is… :laughing:

I tell all of my friends back home that I’m living on a small island off the southeast coast of China … they seem to figure that out ok. I leave off the “Republic of China” part because that would obviously confuse them even more. If they’re a really good friend and are honestly curious about where I am, I’ll explain the whole Chinese civil war thing to them, and even the current political situation … but I don’t think most of my friends care that much … oh well …