" One Country , Two Party " for reunification of China

Dear Forum people ,
I have a question and doubt .

Can we have a " One Country , Two Party " for reunification of China and Taiwan ?

The two party are Kuomintang and Chinese Communist Party .

Please help me clear my doubts .

Not possible.

Nor desirable. :thumbsdown:

I thought that’s what we have these days. Isn’t it?

Ma has a 24% approval rating, so not for long.

When the mainland reaches parity with Taiwan in economic wealth and political development and when the communist party is willing to give up power, then it’s possible. However, that’s not going to happen for a while. :beer:

That’s not really two systems anymore is it?

I agree, i personally think that the KMTs and the CCPs are practically the same. A two party system involves two party that has completely different ideas and values, not similar. Otherwise, its just going to be a one party dictatorship under the guise of a “two-party system.” The idea of there being a CCP and DPP however is even less practical, because they will probably beat each other up, so therefore, the idea is not feasible at this point.

Think about this:
If China is a democracy, would you believe their ballot box?

Next, if China has a credible, full-fledged democracy, which works exactly the same as in many other democratic countries where which ever party wins, shall rule the WHOLE of the country, would Taiwan allow to be ruled by Beijing? Or would it rather keep the current status quo?

Which one would you choose? Does it give you a clearer picture about what to expect of sharing a democracy with the mainland?

Does that clear your doubts?

In my opinion, even if Taiwan and the mainland have reunified (politically), I don’t think the KMT will be contesting on the mainland. It’s political power will remain confined in Taiwan.

I think that arrangement, which is the same as the current status quo, will satisfy a lot of people - pro-unification, anti-reunification and anti-China factions, if they understand the questions I posed above.

In that case, if both the parties wins the general elections in their respective ‘territories’ (mainland - taiwan), the CPC will rule the mainland and KMT rules Taiwan. No change.

So, in a sense, that’s “One Country, Two Parties” system.

The new China can work like the United Kingdom where some of its territories (autonomous regions or special administrative regions) retains much of its identity and freedom. And China is now moving in that direction. So, you will begin to see Beijing giving more “international space” to Taiwan to participate in world bodies and organizations.

What about Hong Kong? Plus Macau if both Hong Kong and Macau decided to share a democracy.

That would be called “One Country, Many Parties”. I think the best way to call China’s future democracy is “Democracy with Chinese Characteristics” :slight_smile:

The local Chinese economy is based on the fact that manufacturers get their cash from real estate. If they have to put profits into manufacturing, their advantage is gone with the wind, and, therefore, doesn’t really make any sense to build things there…

This is the real economy of China, and no democracy can work with this kind of economy - simply because the land is owned and fully protected by law, and therefore, you can’t easily take it and give it to big guys…

One country two parties? Hmmm… Not likely, to say the least.

If there does come to pass a time in the PRC when there is a pluralistic democracy, there would most likley be more than only two parties. And the KMT wouldn’t be a major player, IMO. It is no longer a natural party in China. That is, it doesn’t have a constituency other than Taiwanese businesspeople in China.

Let’s call the KMT a centrist party with stronger links to big business than the grass roots, for want of an immediate better definition. If such a party were to be allowed in China, it would come from the Chinese business class, not from “outsider” Taiwanese.

There would also likely be other parties, such as some kind of workers party representing the countryside. There might also be a party strongly linked to South China, etc. These are very rough guesses from a non-expert, but I think the idea is sound. Whatever parties did develop would represent natural forces and groupings within China.

The KMT might at best join or form an alliance with one of these. But the idea of the democratic voters of the PRC electing a KMT president is a just a dark blue bong fantasy.

On most occasions when a plebiscite for indeppendence has been undertaken recently, the only people voting are those resident in the affected area.

look at one country with a history of secession movements:
Indonesia: West Papua (defeated, most probably severely rigged and with extensive disenfranchisement)
Indonesia: East Timor (passed, despite massive harassment campaigns and rigging of registrations)
Indonesia: Aceh (not held, but originally intended for Aceh only, and cancelled after Jakarta refused to allow an Aceh-only vote).

croatia, macedonia, bosnia, ukraine, georgia all held successful internal referenda in 1991. slovenia in 1990, and of course there are other examples too.

unsuccessful votes held locally in Quebec, Puerto Rico, etc, with no major drama.

and most worryingly for Taiwan, the poor precedent set by another communist party bully state, Russia, in denying the independence of Tatarstan after their internal referendum in 1990, balanced by the rest of the world’s unwillingness top accept the South Ossetia independence plebiscites in 1992 and 2006.

even if Taiwan does hold a referendum on independence, and it passes, there is no telling that anyone trading with China will recognise it. tossers.

[quote=“urodacus”]On most occasions when a plebiscite for indeppendence has been undertaken recently, the only people voting are those resident in the affected area.

look at one country with a history of secession movements:
Indonesia: West Papua (defeated, most probably severely rigged and with extensive disenfranchisement)
Indonesia: East Timor (passed, despite massive harassment campaigns and rigging of registrations)
Indonesia: Aceh (not held, but originally intended for Aceh only, and cancelled after Jakarta refused to allow an Aceh-only vote).

croatia, macedonia, bosnia, ukraine, georgia all held successful internal referenda in 1991. slovenia in 1990, and of course there are other examples too.

unsuccessful votes held locally in Quebec, Puerto Rico, etc, with no major drama.

and most worryingly for Taiwan, the poor precedent set by another communist party bully state, Russia, in denying the independence of Tatarstan after their internal referendum in 1990, balanced by the rest of the world’s unwillingness top accept the South Ossetia independence plebiscites in 1992 and 2006.

even if Taiwan does hold a referendum on independence, and it passes, there is no telling that anyone trading with China will recognise it. tossers.[/quote]

Taiwan is probably the most powerful country in this circumstance. We should recognize any provinces or countries wishes to be free. We could form a little bit of an “outcast UN” along with our other twenty some allies and we will have dozens of more allies. Who knows, maybe one of these old russian provinces we may get a nuke from =D

I think the big countries that are all trading with China, have negative balance accounts, so, there shouldn’t be much of a crisis there…
“We can’t import anymore goods from China, Sir, what to do???”

[quote=“mr_boogie”]I think the big countries that are all trading with China, have negative balance accounts, so, there shouldn’t be much of a crisis there…
“We can’t import anymore goods from China, Sir, what to do???”[/quote]

get it from Taiwan!

There’s a problem bro. Those third world African and island atoll countries that Taiwan calls “allies” are already in the UN, so why would they want to play in the “outcast” sandpit with you when they’re already sitting at the main table?

Also, you realize those provinces that oh-so-wants-their-independence won’t be able to join either, not if their host country have anything to say about it. Yeah, no one likes separatism, countries are funny that way.

[quote=“huangjinhe”]Dear Forum people ,
I have a question and doubt .

Can we have a " One Country , Two Party " for reunification of China and Taiwan ?

The two party are Kuomintang and Chinese Communist Party .

Please help me clear my doubts .[/quote]

Interesting question. the underlying issue is what the KMT stands to win from its alliance with the CCP, aside from keeping Taiwan within the Great China hold.

I know that the hardcore KMT still cling to the idea that they will regain the Mainland. Are they bidding their time, just waiting like a spider in the corner for the Other Side to make a mistake and then fall onto the prey, I mean, the unsuspecting Chinese people?

When the melanine scandal broke, many in Taiwan did not want to make it public “because people will stop buying our products”. It would be interesting to see if the KMT people are mayority holders of factories in the PRC, and hence have a major interest in keeping sales high.

If this is so, then we just have a plutocratic alliance based on commercia, interests, which bodes quite omniously, as then workers on both side of the Strait will still be kept in check with little rights, since both buyers and sellers are in collusion.

The KMT and CCP joined forces precariously during the war against the Japanese, and the one who broke the truce was the KMT. It would be interesting to see if the CCP will reciprocate the favor and also take the KMT to the cleaners once they’ve served their purpose.