One Giant Leap for Chinesekind

Niel Armstrong:

That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

China’s President, Hu Jintao:

A historial step for the Chinese.

And I love Chinese logic. You sort of have to hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer before you can begin to understand it:

Referring to China’s earlier unmanned space launches, an announcer on the English-language government channel CCTV-9 invoked American astronaut Neil Armstrong’s words upon first walking on the moon. “If these were small steps,” the announcer said, “then now we are taking a giant leap into space.”

And I also love Chinese lies. They have such an incredible way of lying. Again, apply sledge hammer to forehead:

But Beijing insists everything sent into space will be developed and made in China. State media, trying to dispel suggestions that its triumph depends on foreign know-how, refer to Shenzhou as “China’s self-designed manned spaceship.”

I guess in a few years we’ll be told that the Chinese actually invented rockets and space travel.

what, they didn’t?

What I like the most about Chinese/Taiwanese lies is that they make very little effort in deception. In the West lying has become an art form. We actualy try to deceive people. That means that lies have to be constructed to be believable, which often means you don’t say things like “the moon is made out of cream cheeze” unless you are talking to children. Therefore, Western lies are often small, taken in small steps.

However, the Chinese find that much too effortful. The game in Chinese culture is to compete on the scope of the lie: The more spectacular it is, the more impossible, the more unbelievable, the more incredulous, the more granduer, the more glorious it is. So, such lies are more designed as a pissing contest: The louder and more boastful one speaks, the more right he/she is.

I am just waiting for their first mishap. I have a feeling their blunders will make the Shuttle disasters look like Big Wheel wrecks.

But, I am really happy they are spending all that time and money into playing catch-up-with-what-the-US-did-decades ago. It takes the focus off of the mainland’s ghastly pollution problem, a looming AIDS crisis (Wasn’t like a whole town tainted by HIV because they were so poor they were trying to sell their blood and all became infected in the process?), and the fact that even with the space program and the “national pride” that goes with it, tons of mainlanders still want to, by hook or by crook, immigrate to the US. I just wish the whole stupid place would hurry up and collapse so we can colonize it again–oh no, wait, Sergeant McDonald’s-Starbucks is already doing that.

They already claim that they invented the rocket. They will claim more soon. During soccer world cup 2002 they claimed that they invented soccer. Boasting is usually a symptom of low self-esteem, if you ask me.

Perhaps when they make it to the moon someday, they’ll annouce that it is truly made of tofu.

… and that therefore it belongs to them.

… which it has since time immemorial anyway, because Chinese people discovered the moon, as is proven in historical records. Chinese people were also the first to attempt to reach the moon, as demonstrated in Li Bai’s fatal but heroic attempt to capture it for the glory of the Chinese people.

Li Bai would have succeeded, too, if it hadn’t been for the interference of the foreigners, who conspire to keep China down.

Whether or not China really intends on spending the huge chunk of cash on going to the moon will be seen. I kind of think they will. Regardless, Americans do have a bit of a PR problem. “Putting a man on the moon” has always been the catch phrase in claiming technological superiority. “Hey, we put a man on the moon, therefore we …” Yea, well that was when I was born, say 30 years ago. What has America done lately? What measure of standard do we now use for a technologically superior nation?

However, the idea is that if a 3rd world country like China could actually put a man on the moon, they could now claim that they are just as technologically advanced as the West. Forget the fact that they are still a nation full of starving people living in the mud, except for the filthy rich tycoons in the cities that can afford to buy coffee at Starbucks. They put a man on the moon dangit! What more is there to say??

I’ve lived here for a while. I know how they think. I already know what the backup PR plan will be by Xinhua News Agency:

Say on their first mission to the moon the lunar module breaks on the surface of the moon, stranding the taikonauts. OK, so they die there. I can see the newspapers claiming that incident as their “permanent moon base”. :laughing:

Of course I don’t wish for that to happen. I’m just brainstorming examples … examples that seem ludicrouis … but are actually the exact kind of logic employed by the state run news agency.

I liked this quote: [quote]John Pike, a space-policy expert and director of the think tank GlobalSecurity.org, said American space technology remains far superior to what the Chinese have so far been able to develop, even with the space-shuttle fleet grounded in the wake of the Feb. 1 loss of the shuttle Columbia.

“We may be in a race, but the Chinese have about four decades of catching up to do before they’re even in the same lap we’re in,” Pike said. “We’re leading in the Firecracker 500, and the Chinese are out running some demolition derby on a dirt track.”

[/quote]

Full article here.

China on sending people to the moon: they want to do it so that they could emulate the most advanced country in the world, the USA. Their mentality is: in order to be the best, you gotta beat the best.(or at least catch up to them first)

China on blatent news headlines: this is propoganda for the people of China, they could care less about what the rest of the world thinks… they already know they got the goods/cash/people, they are not worried about what others think of their internal news headlines.

China on bad English quotes: try translating Chinese idioms into English, I’m sure you’ll get a chuckle at too.

China as a third world country: only parts of China are still “third world”, many of the major cities there are more vibrant than most major cities in the USA/Europe… every country has bits and pieces that are “third world”, but as a whole I wouldn’t consider China third world anymore given their current GDP.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I am pissing my pants…

I had two favorite quotes from the article:

This was in regards to the suggestion that we invite the Chinese in on the international space station.

I would agree: Keep them out. It took us thousands of years to get where we are now in science and technolgoy. Why just hand it all over with the flick of the wrist? The technology that has been litterally “handed over” to them is now technology that is pointed back at us here in Taiwan at at America in the form of missles and military surveillance.

And they laugh at us for doing it. I had one Taiwanese co-worker tell me how much smarter Chinese are. “We Chinese” let you do all the work and we just copy it when you’re finished.

However, on the other hand, I also agree with another quote from the article:

As far as the space program is concerned, America has become complacent. We’ve spent more time on the fantasy of the Star Trek franchise than on a real focus on space innovation and executed exploration. I don’t see this move by the Chinese as an immediate threat, but I do see it as a legitimate opportunity to keep on top of the game. Every nation has to keep its own competitive strenghts, and that means being proactive instead of reactive.

Please don’t do that. :shock:

BTW, I was referring to the subject of the media (Taiwan and Xinhua). I do know how they think. It isn’t that hard when it’s one-party or one race-based news. The homogenity makes it easy to predict what stance ‘they’ will have on any given issue.

What might be an error to assume that I know WHY they think what they think. For me it is just black box and statistics (input/output). There is a statistical normality in what catch phrase or propaganda they will use for any given event. There are about 10 lines, one of them being “interferring in China’s internal affairs”. But getting inside the black box is more difficult. I’d would have had to be born and raised in the culture to really understand why.

What does GDP have to do with anything? China’s GDP may someday engluf that of America and Japan’s combined. But that still doesn’t mean anything economically. It simply means its a bigger number. What is important is to look at how that is being tranlated into the multitude of other factors that determine whether a country is or is not a 3rd world country. As China has a large, distributed population (and it is growing fast … still) GDP will have to be HUGE before it can have a “standard of living” commensurate with 1st world status. As it is now, (and I am looking for specific stats) most of the factors of production represented in current GDP is owned by a small percentage of the population. That usually happens in a county’s industrial revolution.

[quote=“jeremy”]I had two favorite quotes from the article:

I would agree: Keep them out. It took us thousands of years to get where we are now in science and technolgoy. Why just hand it all over with the flick of the wrist? The technology that has been litterally “handed over” to them is now technology that is pointed back at us here in Taiwan at at America in the form of missles and military surveillance.

And they laugh at us for doing it. I had one Taiwanese co-worker tell me how much smarter Chinese are. “We Chinese” let you do all the work and we just copy it when you’re finished.

[/quote]

One should not try to deliver a point using ‘WE’, ‘US’, ‘THEM’ and ‘THEY’ too much… it really makes you sound arrogant or racist.

The line of ‘…It took us thousands of years to get where we are now…’ is especially offensive. Who is “us” and given a minimum of two thousands years, that would put the world at around 0 AD, who’s technology are we talking about here? Roman? Greek? Egyptian? Chinese?

Sorry just wanted to point that out.

I think the Chinese are applying the principle that to be the best you first have to believe you can be the best.
If memory serves , the US moon program came about after the USSR beat the US to manned space flight. This was a shock to the self confidence of the US which they decided to reestablish (successfully)by being the first to the moon.

The Chinese are just doing something similar by persuading thier people that they are not just the biggest but can also be the best.

This will move toward realising the ambition:
“The 19th century was the British century, the 2oth the American century & the 21st will be the chinese century”

People take the piss , but they just keep marching on…

I totally agree with Scuba here, the Chinese want to be as good as the USA if not better in all aspects… they also want to show that they can do it under a Communist system.

China is living the short term pain for long term gain mentality right now. They also don’t care who’s technology they’re gonna rip off to get there as well.

China knows they have the people, the money and the will to match the US, they just aren’t the same level technology wise. China thinks that if they could match the US on all these levels, then prosperity for the rest of the people will sure to follow, but in the meantime, if the people need to suffer some more, so be it.