One Native Taiwanese Reader's Impression of Forumosa

That is not true, not to mention pretty offensive.

It’s not us that start the sexist creepy crap in D&R.

It’s always the womens’ fault. Even when it obviously isn’t.

[quote=“Buttercup”]
I am off to the National Palace museum to spend time with one of the hottest girls in Taiwan. She’s going to teach me all about Song Dynasty painting.[/quote]

For a moment I was wondering how you and I could be off to do such a thing. Then it dawned on me that you must be talking about Tash or Erhu. :laughing:

I like some of the older stuff from before. btw, is your friend a docent there? they got some hot docents. And if so, may I join. I’m all about Song Dynasty. I read the Book of Songs you know. And I heard about Song Mei-Ling. yea.

I like some of the older stuff from before. btw, is your friend a docent there? they got some hot docents. And if so, may I join. I’m all about Song Dynasty. I read the Book of Songs you know. And I heard about Song Mei-Ling. yea.[/quote]

Aiyo! Funny boy. Sorry, I was being a little serious, there.

BUT I get pissed off at the ‘You must hate Taiwanese girls cause they are hotter than you and because guys like me won’t sleep with you. You must be so jealous because you’re just hanging around in Taiwan, dreaming of meeting a guy like me and you CAN’T!’. It’s so laughably arrogant and pathetic. I love my Taiwanese female friends and it angers me to be accuse of bitchiness against other women or racism. Boys, imagine being on the receiving end of that all the time. The only group it turns me off are the creepy white boys.

I would argue that most of the negative comments on Taiwanese women come from the married guys, in particular one “man.”

I strongly disagree. In fact, I can’t recall a single regular female poster ever saying anything negative or stereotyping about Taiwanese females. 99% of the BS on the Dating board comes from males, either unhappily married or unhappily single.

I like some of the older stuff from before. btw, is your friend a docent there? they got some hot docents. And if so, may I join. I’m all about Song Dynasty. I read the Book of Songs you know. And I heard about Song Mei-Ling. yea.[/quote]

Aiyo! Funny boy. Sorry, I was being a little serious, there.

BUT I get pissed off at the ‘You must hate Taiwanese girls cause they are hotter than you and because guys like me won’t sleep with you. You must be so jealous because you’re just hanging around in Taiwan, dreaming of meeting a guy like me and you CAN’T!’. It’s so laughably arrogant and pathetic. I love my Taiwanese female friends and it angers me to be accuse of bitchiness against other women or racism. Boys, imagine being on the receiving end of that all the time. The only group it turns me off are the creepy white boys.[/quote]

Actually, I was more than halfway serious about the Museum. I spend a lot of time there. or did. until recently. That’s ok. I’ll be your friend. We can bring Freecia along and the Fobinator and have a gay old/orgy time at the beautiful NPM, 3rd Floor right between the cong and the ding. It’ll be creepy like, like we were in the graveyard between the stela and the mausoleum.

I reckon it’s an even higher ratio, with more than half of us regular male posters married to Taiwanese women, and most very happily so. [/quote]
I wish they were more happily married, then we wouldn’t have to listen to the moanings.

I have great respect for posters such as sandman and Chris who never complain or make fun of their wives here, and not because they would kick their asses if they did, but because they respect them (of course, I see this in person, but it shows through on the forum as well)

That’s the standard thing male posters here say to dismiss any criticism of this nature.

This too is a standard thing male posters here say to dismiss and divide.
Fortunately, that’s very far from the truth. If anything, we women are more likely to support each other, no matter what nationality we belong to, so don’t worry about us.

As for the type of remarks you usually make, Omni. The kind that you think praise Taiwanese women, or any women, the often lewd and inappropriate remarks… Maybe you really think you’re suave or something, but those are exactly the kind that give women the impression that men are disrespectful and objectify them.
Now, I can tell you to sod off if you try that bs on me, but what can an average Taiwanese girl do who is just browsing the forums? What will she think about that? And the fact that no one’s called you on it will seem like the majority of men here agree with it.

Hits the nail right on the head, I think.

And thanks, tash, for those kind words. I’ll pretend they’re true and that it’s REALLY not because I’m afraid of getting my arse kicked. :wink:

Malc and I were talking about this at the Happy Hour. Chiefly, how to make F.com a friendlier place. Buddha knows I’ve had my fair share of scraps, so maybe I was a good one to question as to how we could become a friendier community. At the time, I was at loss. F.com has become too big and the flaming has gone on for too long to go back now. One thing that is quite evident, if only by way of contrast, is how much friendlier TaiwanHo is. Jake has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to flames. Granted, he gave me a soapbox a couple of years ago to air my grievances with the way my situation here was being handled, but true to form, when it started to get out of hand, he got out his master key and locked the thread down. Dave’s ESLCafe can get qute snippy as well, but there is a line and when it’s crossed, the posts disappear and emails are sent as a warning (half my inbox are such PMs :wink: ). So while spirited discussion is tolerated, flames are not. Yet no one gets banned or suspended over there either (could this be a clue??).

So my question is this (sorry if this is hijacking the thread, but the OP was kind of wondering the same thing): Is it too late for f.com to adopt a zero tolerance policy for insulting language? I know that would mean acid wits such as Sandman and others need curb their fingers a might and would also mean I’d have to cease and desist my childish high school flirtation with that beeeyatch Loretta, but what do y’all think?

Personally, I’ve grown a lot since my well documented flame wars and find myself on occasion, penning nasty missives only to hit the delete button instead of he submit one. I know some people just get your goat (Attn: Taiwanderer, I’m talking to you) and one feels the need to strike out, but could we/should we abolish this rhetoric once and for all? Do we even want to?

ToeUncharacteristic

Of course it’s not too late. It wouldn’t be the f.com I joined though and for me it would be a shame, as I’d stop posting. The 'Ho’s fine for what it is, but mostly it’s simply deadly boring, to me. God forbid the flub goes the same way. It’s a community of mostly reasonably astute and intelligent people and that’s what I like about it. If we’re to dumb things down for the benefit of thin-skinned locals who can’t even understand 75% of what goes on in any case, what the hell kind of site would that be? Not one I’d want any part of, that’s for sure.
90% of the fun of the flob is the colour, and salty language and disagreements is part and parcel of that colour. Take it away and all you have left is a grey and lifeless list of where to get cottage cheese and suchlike.
The flooge got where it is today BECAUSE of the colour, not in spite of it.

i’e been thinking of adopting another screen name just so i can flame myself, so i don’t like the general line of your suggestion one bit, Toe Save.

which reminds me, what did your toe save you from? or why did you save your toe? i save my toenails, and make soup from them, is that what you mean?

:laughing:

surely forumosa is what it is…it reflects itself because what else can it reflect?.. a significant portion of us are middle-aged, misfit western males (mea culpa)…it would be wrong to censor ourselves…if you took sandman’s ascerbic wit off of him he’d be jack nicholson in cuckoo’s nest after the lobotomy…and then where would we be?

No, he’d be Jack Nicholson in The Shining … “Heeeeeeeeere’s Johnny!”

I tried this in Taiwan Politics, and I got screamed at by the other moderators. Too many mods like the subtle insults, the attempts to rile another poster without violating the letter of The Rules. The best evidence for this is Sandman’s rationalization against a zero-tolerance policy a few posts above.

So remember, don’t write: “Chaon is an ignorant jerk.”, write instead “We have to put up with the opinions of ignorant jerks.” in such a way that everyone knows you are talking about Chaon. Then you can act all surprised and hurt when Chaon goes off cursing at you, and the moderators will have grave threads in the moderators’ forum about how to deal with that rule-breaking troublemaker Chaon.

Above example is for reference only. Chaon is in fact a very well-informed jerk.

Almost correct, Chaon. Substitute “posters” for “mods” and you’d be far closer to the mark. As for mods who like that kind of thing, it’s pretty much only me. You REALLY think maoman panders to what a small handful of the mods want as opposed to what most of the users of his site want? :loco:

I like the idea of making F.com a more friendly community, but a more friendly community for its users and target audience and not one that avoids anything controversial for fear of upsetting locals who may be reading. I see the issues of flames and civility among users as separate and apart from the impression this site may give to locals who try to read it, inevitably misunderstand it and make (ignorant) sweeping generalizations about the international community based on this (mis)reading. This site represents the collective experiences and opinions of its participants. I would hate to see these sterilized just to suit the sensitivities of some locals who don’t really understand what they’re reading.

That is exactly what I think.

Since when was this forum supposed to represent expatriates in all our shiny glory, anyway? I don’t have much to say that’s controversial - let’s see, married 13 years to a wonderful woman who happens to be Taiwanese, children that I adore, regular guy job. Christ, I’m one of the most boring guys you could ever hope to meet. The people that are important to me know I’m a decent enough sort, and that’s pretty much where my obligation to winning over the hearts and minds of native Taiwanese ends. So someone read through the site and had some of their prejudices confirmed - so what?

This place is a true representation of a bunch of expatriates who live in Taiwan and chat to each other online - nothing more, nothing less. Spend a day here, and you’re most likely to hear the noisiest of us going off. Stick around for any length of time, and you might realize that even the loudest of us turn out to be really quite reasonable people. Anyone’s free to come and join in, as long as you play by the rules, and those rules are really quite generous. If it happens to offend or disturb a casual observer, let them chime in - we’ll be sure to give them a full and varied response.

I don’t want forumosa going Prohibition. Oh goodness, that reminds me. A sunny Friday afternoon and out of supplies. Time for a beer run.

Where is it said she had prejudices?