One of my favorite songs 20 years ago is topping my charts today

Love it when this happens. Completely forget about a song then catch a bit of it somewhere and it is like the honeymoon phase all over again. And in this era of shit music, this is truly a special event.

Mother Love Bone! Crown of Thorns is a favorite at concerts. Def one of my favorites.

I had lunch with Stone Gossard a few years ago :smiley:

Its on the charts probably becuase of all the hype over Pearl Jam’s 20th anniversary. People forgot they existed (except yours truly) and now they’re all like OOOOOO VINTAGE GREEN RIVER!!! TEMPLE OF A DOG!!! MOTHER LOVE BONE!!! :unamused:

20 yrs ago I liked this song … 20 yrs later I still do. My musical tastes haven’t changed that much.

[quote=“Lili”]Mother Love Bone! Crown of Thorns is a favorite at concerts. Def one of my favorites.

I had lunch with Stone Gossard a few years ago :smiley:

Its on the charts probably becuase of all the hype over Pearl Jam’s 20th anniversary. People forgot they existed (except yours truly) and now they’re all like OOOOOO VINTAGE GREEN RIVER!!! TEMPLE OF A DOG!!! MOTHER LOVE BONE!!! :unamused:[/quote]

no, its not on any charts, it is just back on MY charts.

Started watching Pearl Jam 20 last night. Some fascinating footage of the Seattle scene before it was actually a “scene”.

[quote=“Dougster”]20 yrs ago I liked this song … 20 yrs later I still do. My musical tastes haven’t changed that much.

[/quote]

You’ll be happy to know that they are apparently reforming the band.

I know, that is where the flash back came. By '94 (after giving Vitalogy a few spins around the block) I was tired of Pearl Jam and all other ‘Seattle’ bands, never really listened to them again afterwards, grunge just seemed so fucked out at that point, but watching that doc. I was just flooded with flashbacks and realized how great all that music really was, and that MLB song is so well done, I used to rate it so highly that I cannot believe it fell completely off the radar missing one of the transitions from cassette to CD to MP3. Pure brilliance, I think I had that Singles soundtrack on cassette and hadn’t listened to it since cassettes were relevant. Need to find that box of old cassettes in the basement next time I am at the parent’s home, it’ll be fun to see what other gems have slipped my ever more porous mind.

I know, that is where the flash back came. By '94 (after giving Vitalogy a few spins around the block) I was tired of Pearl Jam and all other ‘Seattle’ bands, never really listened to them again afterwards, grunge just seemed so fucked out at that point, but watching that doc. I was just flooded with flashbacks and realized how great all that music really was, and that MLB song is so well done, I used to rate it so highly that I cannot believe it fell completely off the radar missing one of the transitions from cassette to CD to MP3. Pure brilliance, I think I had that Singles soundtrack on cassette and hadn’t listened to it since cassettes were relevant. Need to find that box of old cassettes in the basement next time I am at the parent’s home, it’ll be fun to see what other gems have slipped my ever more porous mind.[/quote]

Man that footage of Vedder doing high dives into the crowd from the light rigging is insane. I’ve never seen anyone do that before. Cool to see some footage of the '94 Taipei gig I was at in there. Plus footage of the Haibawang on the corner of Chungshan and Minzu for some reason.

Kind of a reality check when the guys that worked at the pizza shop down the block became world famous then diminished to nobody knows then are coming back again. The guys I used to know were good people but you would have laughed at how bad they sounded. Then, the volume was turned up so the distortion would hide any notes.

More power to them I say. They made it doing what they wanted to do.

People think seattle music was only grunge. It wasn’t. It was gray/grey. See what kind of happy, whistle along kind of tune you come up with when it is raining every day.

Oh, that is why I LOVE MANCHESTER! our twin.

[quote=“elektronisk”]Kind of a reality check when the guys that worked at the pizza shop down the block became world famous then diminished to nobody knows then are coming back again. The guys I used to know were good people but you would have laughed at how bad they sounded. Then, the volume was turned up so the distortion would hide any notes.

People think seattle music was only grunge. It wasn’t. It was gray/grey. See what kind of happy, whistle along kind of tune you come up with when it is raining every day.

Oh, that is why I LOVE MANCHESTER! our twin.[/quote]

yeah but nah but…in the case of PJ (and Soundgarden and AiCs) those guys actually had chops. They might not have when they started out in other bands but by the time they recorded 10 they could really play, distortion or no distortion. Hell even Eddie can fingerpick and he’s just the singer. This was partly Kurt’s inital beef with PJ since he believed extended guitar solos had no part in “grunge”.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“elektronisk”]Kind of a reality check when the guys that worked at the pizza shop down the block became world famous then diminished to nobody knows then are coming back again. The guys I used to know were good people but you would have laughed at how bad they sounded. Then, the volume was turned up so the distortion would hide any notes.

Oh, that is why I LOVE MANCHESTER! our twin.[/quote]

yeah but nah but…in the case of PJ (and Soundgarden and AiCs) those guys actually had chops. They might not have when they started out in other bands but by the time they recorded 10 they could really play, distortion or no distortion. Hell even Eddie can fingerpick and he’s just the singer. This was partly Kurt’s inital beef with PJ since he believed extended guitar solos had no part in “grunge”.[/quote]

Yes, there is no debate on the fact the guys in Soundgarden could play. They were great. :thumbsup:

Your mention of 10, Eddie was also a good guy. I wasn’t commenting on PJ in particular.

For the second part. “You don’t understand Northwest Culture”. I would concur with Kurt. It was out of place (and not in a good way) at the time. However, after 5 years people loved it.