One only needs to think about Money and nothing else in this world

If you have money, you can buy the cars, handbags, jewellery, fine dining and other appropriate gifts to woo the woman/women of your dreams.

If you have money, you can buy a multi-acre house of your choice where you can afford to sleep in soundly everynight without being bothered by your next door neighbor in a claustrophobic country like Taiwan.

If you have money, you can even build a few huts for your lamas to meditate in without worrying if the land itself is too expensive.

If you have money, you can buy all the Love and Happiness which you want.

If you have no money, you can’t do any of the above.

Screw Money!

It sounds like your lamas haven’t got the hang of the spiritual life yet.

Tell you what though: if you’ve got a dozen lamas, they could all go and work in McDonalds for a year, save (perhaps) $5000 apiece, and you’ve then got $60K in pocket which should buy you a year’s worth of meditating. In style, I should think.

In any case, it’s not really about money, although TPTB do like to force us into the 9-to-5 routine for their own nefarious reasons. Everyone needs to work. You can’t really expect nature to drop everything into your lap, even if you’re living in a hut in the mountains. Self-sufficiency is bloody hard work. Money makes it easier, if anything, because it allows you to do your own preferred sort of hard work and trade it for other people’s.

I thought money wasn’t supposed to be important to Lamas. Besides, the mountains should be left as mother nature intended.

Something about money not bringing you happiness…

I seem to Remember a Certain former poster Who capitalized like this.

Now you mention it, he does remind me of someone. Can’t think who it was, off the top of my head.

Sounds like this guy is crying out for an intervention. Somehow I’m picturing a David Koresh type scenario…

[quote=“hualienmonk”]If you have money, you can buy the cars, handbags, jewellery, fine dining and other appropriate gifts to woo the woman/women of your dreams.

If you have money, you can buy a multi-acre house of your choice where you can afford to sleep in soundly everynight without being bothered by your next door neighbor in a claustrophobic country like Taiwan.

If you have money, you can even build a few huts for your lamas to meditate in without worrying if the land itself is too expensive.

If you have money, you can buy all the Love and Happiness which you want.

If you have no money, you can’t do any of the above.

Screw Money![/quote]

The woman of your dreams is a shallow gold digger? Or are you just being a sexist idiot?

Straight forward, why don’t you just buy the woman of your dreams, instead of going through all that effort buying cars, handbags, jewelery, and shit.

There is one thing you can’t buy anyway and that is certainty/assurance to have found true love.
You’ll find out when all that money is gone.

Money: an evil which must be endured.
I mean; why else would one do any work at all?
Mind you, banging on the drum all day is not exactly cheap, after all.
A supercilious sickle of circle.

As such, if anyone wants to be free of any of their cash, feel free to forward a rather large package to:
TheMingerGan,
c/o P.O. Box 812,
Foul Bay,
Antarctic,
Earth.

Money is a gas

Hualienmonk, I love you. I’ve been having entertaining daydreams about monks going on price/bureaucracy-induced rampages in the hill country or in building permit offices ever since you started posting. Never change. :bow:

Well since he only exists in these forums he won’t have to change much, Buddha boy included.

the Chinese saying goes: 錢非萬能,沒有錢萬萬不能

True, but money does provide more opportunities for dating the woman you choose which in turn may lead to true love :slight_smile:

It seems almost taboo to say, but I think money is extremely important. Think of all the wonderful things you want to do in this life. It varies for everyone, but some common ones may be raising a happy and healthy family, feeding your intellectual needs, enjoying your hobbies and passions, possibly taking care of people in need. All of these things are accomplished easier with money. People tend to discriminate against those with money, but the truth is being “average” or even poor isn’t a requirement for being a nice, caring, constructive member of society. Some rich people are just as nice, sweet, and down to earth as those poor people who bash them.

There’s nothing at all wrong with a woman who wants to be with a guy with a little bit of extra money. It’s tiring to hear people hate on some woman because one of MANY of the things they look for in guys is a stable sufficient income. What the hell is wrong with that? As long as it’s one of, and not THE reason they are with him, it’s totally fine. Good heart, treats me good, makes me laugh, will be a good father, and makes good money. Sounds sensible to me…

I’m the same. I would never date a girl with a low income or one with little potential for financial advancement. There’s plenty of sweet, caring, wonderful woman who are financially stable and secure, why not just choose that and cross one of the major relationship killers off the list right from the very first date? Two stable incomes is better than one. :discodance:

Well, yeah. Poor guys are more likely to be stupid or impulsive, I guess. There’s a difference between being able to hold down a job or develop a functioning career and chasing after a meal ticket. One’s sensible, one’s pathetic.

Not money bashing at all.

Who’s to say it’s for a meal ticket though? Why couldn’t it simply be because having money allows people to see and do things in their life they could never experience otherwise. To provide things for their family and friends they could never do otherwise. Are you implying that relationships with rich guy / woman are any less functional?

I’m rather poor at this stage in my life and in all honestly if a woman were to say to me hey, I think you’re a great guy but you just don’t have enough money to provide the kind of life style I desire, I wouldn’t have a problem with that. As long as she is intelligent and has a good work ethic herself, I would have no problem. She wants a guy that makes X amount of dollars, and I don’t. Ok, I’d say thanks for your honesty and good luck finding what you’re looking for.

If she says she won’t date anybody who can’t buy her a Channel purse on Valentines day, well then I’m going to lean towards your camp and call her a gold digger. But having money makes life easier, and I see nothing wrong with woman who place money or income as one of several qualities they are looking for in a man.

The problem I’ve noticed with women who are looking for a “man with money” (on those rare occasions I’ve met one - they seem to be quite rare) is this: they themselves are absolutely shit at handling money. They have no idea what money is or what it’s for. They treat the guy like an ATM machine, without really comprehending that every dollar they spend on trash represents hours (days, years) of his life thrown down the toilet. They do not understand that money needs to be put to work: that somehow, when that young, hardworking guy is old and decrepit, there needs to be a continuing flow of money to provide the essentials of life.

I grew up with people who are frequently labeled “poor”. While a few of them were in that situation through sheer bad luck - life deals some people some pretty crap cards - and were making the best of a bad job, the rest were just idiots. They were poor because they didn’t know how to get the most out of the money they had. The most depressing thing about seeing this is that money skills can be learned. But it’s not taught in schools. If the schools the serve the estates (=projects, I believe, in US-speak) taught this and nothing else, it would transform a lot of lives.

That and nutrition.

But can you buy a happy marriage? Or is the woman of your dreams a gold-digging hooker?

(Hint: fine dining is great, maybe jewelry once in awhile, but the car is overdoing it.)

Well, you might stay awake worrying about your investments. Or a vague sense that your life is meaningless. But sure, money buys nice houses–that much I’ll concede.

Why would you care about building huts for lamas? What brought this on? :ponder:

Are you after bragging rights in your dharma center? What kind of Buddhist motivation is that? If your aim is to make money so you can donate it to an honest-to-God charity, then that’s another matter.

Money is important, but it’s not all-important. There is such a thing as balance.

Yes, balance is good.
Take my wife, for example. Her life is well-balanced – she has fake jewelry but real orgasms.

Then there’s my mistress. I buy her real jewelry, but …