One smart home app to rule all your smart appliances

I was honestly waiting for the new Sonos device to include thread border router capability, but not only was it not mentioned anywhere in the announcement of their new Sonos Era speakers, it is also mentioned that they will no longer support using Google Assistant on their speakers. Support for Apple Siri and Amazon Echo are still there, but they felt the need to remove google for some reason…

I guess I’ll just leave my single Sonos One an orphan, and switch to Google Nest Hub and Nest speakers. They are much cheaper anyway.

Any decent firewall should let you create a VPN connection and add custom routes to send selected traffic across the VPN instead.

Have a look at OpnSense or pfSense.

Can they handle multiple VPN connections?

Like one domain goes to a VPN server in Germany while the other domain goes to a VPN in USA without manually switching.

Currently I don’t have a router that supports OpnSense or pfSense.
Maybe in the next upgrade cycle I will consider it.

Yes, but both, (OpnSense is a fork of pfSense), will require a bit more horsepower than a Pi, especially if you go nuts with the geo-blocking etc. That said, your only real limit is the physical capabilities of the hardware. I am aware of pfSense installations with multiple 10Gb NICs handling hundreds of gigabits of traffic switching/filtering at (almost) wire speed with full hot fail-over redundancy etc. Think Cisco or Juniper capabilities but free and able to run on standard x64 hardware. Start with an old PC and a couple of spare NICs and have fun! :sunglasses: