‘Online’ Bank’s xenophobic reasoning for denying "foreigners" the ability to open an account online

So, I received the reply from the FOI, and it was a bit disappointing, but I do understand their reasoning, see below:

Below the complaint I just lodged to the FSC instead, since the rationale behind FOI refusal to take up the issue is that “it is not a consumer dispute, but a matter of business management and Financial Supervisory enforcement”:

After going through the full complaint procedure with the FOI, they decided this is not a financial consumer dispute, hence outside their purview ex art. 24 sec 2 item 2 of the Financial Consumer Protection Act. Please see attached the FOI decision.

Hence, as your duty under item 9 sec 1 art 3 of the Organic Act Governing the Establishment of the Financial Supervisory Commission, I hereby request your agency to act in accordance with art 12-1 of the Financial Consumer Protection Act for infringements of financial consumer rights ex sec. 1 art. 7 of the same act and compel Line Bank to abide to the laws of the Republic of China and the financial regulations as issued by your Agency.

Barring legal alien residents or citizens born abroad from applying to their services is against the laws and regulations, particularly art. 7 of the Financial Consumer Protection Act (against principles of equality, reciprocity, fairness and reasonableness) and art. 62 of the Immigration Act (discriminatory practice).

As stated by the FOI in their decision in their point 3 of the reasoning, it is a matter of under the"…金融監理機關之主管範疇".

9 Likes