‘Online’ Bank’s xenophobic reasoning for denying "foreigners" the ability to open an account online

That’s not going to cause them to lose face.

Secondly, that is 23 million people you have to convince. A co-ordinated effort for ONE Company.

Then we have to do it AGAIN for the next company.

And the next one.

And the next one.

And the next one.

1 Like

It’s only True that they can refuse service to anyone, but not for any reason.

I know this isn’t exactly the same, ever since Americas civil rights movement most countries have made an effort to curtail discrimination in this way.

I know Taiwan has this mentality since they passed antidiscrimination laws here. But laws go unenforced if there is no oversight or more importantly no clearly established rulings on the meaning and applicability of those laws.

2 Likes

If you get one to change, the others will often follow

1 Like

That’s not how it works. They quietly change the rule back after it has died down.

Trust me i did this already. I went through the ringer.

I spent $15000 on it.

It then becomes company whack a mole.

This isn’t true either. Every time I have opened an account the bank staff have tried to force me to sign a ‘self declaration’ CRS form stating I’m an Australian resident for tax purposes then I have to get into a heated argument repeating that I am not an Australian resident for tax purposes and won’t sign a form saying that I am.

1. It’s supposed to be a self declaration, if they followed the law and procedures they should not be telling me what to write on a self declaration at all.

2. There’s no way fraudulent documents are required as a matter of a banks procedure.

They are actually out of compliance by forcing foreign customers to sign false declarations. I’m sure many people would just give in to get the account opened.

I would hazard a guess that the real reason they won’t let foreigners open accounts online is because they can’t force people to sign false declarations online.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tag, and thanks to @comfy123 for getting this highly useful response. @fifieldt has added this information to a document being sent to a certain deputy minister shortly.

17 Likes

Most countries are still dictatorships and/or communist.

This has only been a thing in Western European countries that were democracies during that movement. Even so, the attitudes of locals in ethnostates can still be a very big obstacle to overcome.

Yes, but these often cover locals. In Asia, stereotypes of foreigners are seen as acceptable as during the Civil Rights Movement, they still were right wing dictatorships. You’re still seeing the scars.

You go out and convince 23 million people and many think it’s OK to not give an account because what if foreigners run to their country or do something bad.

This is still a thing in Chinese culture. At least having citizenship provides protection.

Secondly, Taiwan does not have an easy enforcement mechanism like a human rights commission that can levy fines without going to court and spending all that money. Look at @fifieldt, he’s literally sending this to a deputy cabinet minister.

And why are they listening to him in particular? Because he’s Taiwanese

2 Likes

Maybe the news would be more helpful here? :thinking:

Thank you sir. You are an asset to this community. :salute:

Guy

4 Likes

Make sure to mention how they are forcing foreigners to sign false CRS declarations.

4 Likes

Do you know any journalists that you can share to? Feel Free

Except every news station is so cutthroat competitive for views here, they’ve all devolved into tabloid stations.

You risk being labelled entitled foreigner or worse with the media.

2 Likes

And to be honest the foreign English media are too focused on painting a positive image for Taiwan that often stories like this are missed

1 Like

I’m not sure if you are right:

1 Like

I am sure I am right. @mad_masala

1 Like

I am right. I need to declare my country of tax residency. Which is Taiwan. Not Australia. Also i am required to decided what to write. It is only the banks job to collect the piece of paper.

Please read the information you posted again

7 Likes

I don’t see how that’s incompatible with filling out the form.

Filling out the form isn’t a problem. Filling it out saying I am an Australian resident for tax purposes is a problem because this is false.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=G0340147

3 Likes

Did you read that? maybe Koko and the rest of the banks here aren’t “racist”, but this is a common practice in other places too.

You’re ignoring the fact that it says to report countries of tax residency.

1 Like