Online Chinese "Classes" by Me

I’m going to try my hand at teaching Chinese via the Internet somehow. I’m just going to “wing it” for the first few weeks (I pretty much mastered “winging it” as an English teacher :slight_smile: .) My goal is to figure out a way to teach a language over the Internet and then put together something SLICK starting in the fall semester that will unfold in an organized fashion.

Here’s my latest video (an introduction, no real teaching going on): youtube.com/watch?v=nJTTOxNoUm0

Here are my previous 2 attempts (a basic introduction): youtube.com/watch?v=FnBRT2Yik1w
and something about pronunciation: youtube.com/watch?v=G9WUOikhiVE

I have a forum category for the “show” over here: miltownkids.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

But I don’t expect anyone to go register (unless they felt so inclined.) I’d just like to get any advice, tips or feedback you might have for how things should go. Like I said, I’ll be winging it this semester, then try doing a “proper” class next semester (and loosely follow the textbooks that the first semester Chinese students use at my school.)

I would have NO trouble getting a native speaker to help with pronunciation bits (from Taiwan or China.)

Good stuff Miltownkid. The next big wave - if not already here - is going to be online video, and by the time it goes big, you’ll have worked out a winning formula.

Good luck bro.

[quote=“almas john”]Good stuff Miltownkid. The next big wave - if not already here - is going to be online video, and by the time it goes big, you’ll have worked out a winning formula.

Good luck bro.[/quote]
I always knew you were a fellow “future gazer”. :slight_smile:

It’s kind of interesting watching Youtube (like as a whole.) Here we have this AWESOME tool for doing all kinds of AWESOME things and the top 4 most viewed videos of today are (drum roll please):

Is Gavin Newsom the Hottest Mayor in the USA?
Super Duper Tuesday music vid (OK, this one seems to be some kind of video about “Super Tuesday” not so “bad”)
Tyra’s Takes It Off!
Britney Spears Out Of Hospital

[quote=“miltownkid”]
It’s kind of interesting watching Youtube (like as a whole.) Here we have this AWESOME tool for doing all kinds of AWESOME things and the top 4 most viewed videos of today are (drum roll please):

Is Gavin Newsom the Hottest Mayor in the USA?
Super Duper Tuesday music vid (OK, this one seems to be some kind of video about “Super Tuesday” not so “bad”)
Tyra’s Takes It Off!
Britney Spears Out Of Hospital[/quote]

And I’ll add

This one Yes,We Can Done for Obama by will.i.am

[quote=“Namahottie”]And I’ll add

This one Yes,We Can Done for Obama by will.i.am[/quote]
Gems like that do surface from time to time. But the vast majority of top viewed views are… well… they are what they are I suppose. :slight_smile:

Great idea.
Check out Moodle, an open source courseware program based on PHP and Mysql.
www.moodle.org

Might be a good tool to put it all together with.

[quote=“bobl”]Great idea.
www.moodle.org

Might be a good tool to put it all together with.[/quote]
Looks very interesting… (with a quick glance.) Would you happen to have a site that uses it in mind to showcase it’s pimptastical flavors?

Ok, I’ll try my hand at being your student. Here’s my first stupid question: How do you say ‘pimptastical’ in Mandarin? :smiley:

I think that’s a question I should be asking you! :wink:

I think that’s a question I should be asking you! :wink:[/quote]

Or Edison Chen :wink:

I see your hair has done a Sisko and moved from the top to the bottom of your head.

[quote=“miltownkid”][quote=“bobl”]Great idea.
www.moodle.org

Might be a good tool to put it all together with.[/quote]
Looks very interesting… (with a quick glance.) Would you happen to have a site that uses it in mind to showcase it’s pimptastical flavors?[/quote]

MTK, here’s a link with demo sites.
http://moodle.org/sites/

Good luck with your project.