Online degrees still not accepted in Taiwan?

A question. I’ve heard that online degrees have been getting more respect in recent years, so I wondered whether anyone has heard anything about Taiwan changing its policy towards them. Thanks for any info.

Hey everyone,
I know degrees completed online are not accepted by Taiwan. However, I was still wondering about my degree.
My school is from a non-profit, accredited 4 year college that is on the list of foreign schools that Taiwan recognizes. There are 9 different physical campuses, so it’s a traditional school, but also offers you to take your degree online (which I did, out of state.) Also, my diploma/transcripts will not have any indication that I have completed my degree online, as I will receive the same diploma/transcripts as traditional students. So I’m wondering, will I be okay? What are the chances of them finding out? If so, how?
Thanks.

@SuiGeneris would it be more accurate to say some online degrees are now accepted?

Here’s the thing. It doesn’t matter. If you have an APRC or a JFRV the school does not have to go to the government to get you an ARC. They can hire you outside the governments stipulations about degrees for ARCs.

Make sense?

Of course, arm yourself with an APRC or JFRV and a degree…you are unstoppable! Anyone would hire you, except international schools like TAS or TES.

And to answer the question above…
Taiwan doesn’t recognize all universities as legit for an ARC, even some brick and mortar schools are not on the list. You just have to search the list. However, there are dozens of online schools that made the list.

@SuiGeneris
How did your degree cost only $8000 for 8 semesters? It looks like a credit unit costs $500 and a semester has up to 21 credits.

Just to clear up. I’ve yet to find any laws regarding if the program is online or in a brick and mortar setting. Many cases is both these days.

AFAIK, it’s about the accreditation. Many brick and mortar schools have online programs now, they wouldn’t really specify if you took it online or in class.

The FET (foreign English teacher) program only recognizes the highest degree earned where at least 50% of coursework was done in person. That’s a pay scale thing though.

I know of at least four FETs who got their undergrad and masters degrees entirely online from bible institutes (while “volunteer teaching” in TW). They also did their teaching practicums in TW. No idea how they got their teaching licenses. They are all paid as though they have legitimately obtained masters degrees and have 10+ years experience somehow. So, clearly the system can be gamed a lot of ways. Hardly “Christian”, doing that, but I’m not one to worry about burning in hell.

My guess is it’s up to the local government if they’ll accept it. The MOE wants to see the physical diploma from your degree-granting institution, but I’m not sure how they could require you to provide proof that you attended the classes in person.

1 Like

Accredited schools have actual diplomas for their online program as far as I know. I also don’t think they would say online program. I have 90 credits in class and finishing up online for 36 more credits. It doesn’t say online for me. I think many schools are moving in this direction. The only way to know is if your school is actually just online.

Right, that’s what I mean. You need to show them your diploma but they don’t ask to see proof of where your classes were attended.

Does anyone know why my graduate school is on the list of MOE’s approved schools, even though it exclusively offers online degrees?

Was there a time when it didn’t exclusively offer online degrees?

No, it’s been this way since it was founded. (It’s even in the school’s mission.) There’s no missing it.

1 Like

A couple years late, but where can I find this list of MOE’s approved schools?

Unfortunately, the web location of this list gets updated more often than the iPhone. I’m curious as well where to find it now.

Here you go: 教育部國際及兩岸教育司-外國大學校院參考名冊專區

3 Likes

:+1:

Thanks. Just found here too: https://ws.moe.edu.tw/001/Upload/7/relfile/8317/78023/416e2772-b824-4fee-aca0-0e3c547795a9.pdf

3 Likes

It seems like this list is different from what is accepted for work permit purposes. I was just rejected from the foreign english teacher program due to my school being entirely online/distance learning, and it is on that list. It is regionally accredited as well. Perhaps there is a separate list the MOE uses when they judge the credentials of FET applicants?

My impression is that they accept degrees from accredited university, I don’t think online or not matters here.

My University of Phoenix diploma has a stamp from TECO, so clearly they accept it.

They verify the degree through international degree clearinghouse. They won’t list unaccredited schools there.

That’s not what the FET program stated in their rejection email. My degree is from Western Governors University, is regionally accredited here in the US, and is on that list. They said the work permit office wouldn’t approve it.