Online school reunions for Brits

Every now and again, I wonder (albeit fleetingly) what the people I went to school with are doing. For us Brits, there’s a nifty website that helps you find out just that:

friendsreunited.co.uk

Having looked through the listings for some of my old school buddies, I have to say that I feel a lot better about my life now. Interestingly, the site claims a membership of 8 million …

Also www.alumni.net

The Friends Reunited website hasn’t come up with many names for me – I got much better results from going to my school’s Old Boys’ website.

My old classmates mostly seem to have outflown me in conventional terms. But probably they’ve been trying very hard and keeping their noses to the grindstone, while I’d bet my life has been more colourful than most of theirs. I would not want to swap places.

Interestingly, among the handful I’ve been able to keep track of, two are married to Asian girls – one Japanese, one Filipino – which with my Chinese other gives us almost enough to form a club. If anyone at our 100% WASP school had suggested that any of us would get shacked up with anything other than an English rose, we’d have given them a good knackering and told them they were off their rockers.

Monkey wrote: “Having looked through the listings for some of my old school buddies, I have to say that I feel a lot better about my life now…”

Monkey, just the fact that you are in Taiwan enjoying a good life and a good job puts you way over the top. Count yr blessings, mate! Why in the world would you ever not feel good about your life here? Your old school buddies are just running around in circles most probably, a dismal life, that! Just getting OUT of your country and OVER here puts you in the top rungs of the ladder, man!