Online tax filing

Fair.

That said, went in today, covid protocol was just scanning a barcode. 23 booths set up all outdoors in front of the building – only about 10 other people filing today, no last minute rush, took care of it in ~15-20 minutes. They were super nice and super helpful as usual and answered a bunch of questions. 10/10 highly recommend in person tax filing.

4 Likes

It’s all in person. Taiwan doesn’t have online filing effectively.

So it turns out I missed the fact that after filing online, you’re supposed to pay by June 30 as well (I thought that was just the filing date and had it in my mind that something in the software had said there were 7 days or something for payment - seems I was wrong). And if you don’t, there’s apparently a delinquent payment surcharge of 1% every 2 days. Oops.

Also, after midnight on July 2 (i.e., two days later), the convenience store payment slip apparently doesn’t work anymore, and obviously the banks aren’t open until Monday. I don’t suppose there’s any other way to pay this weekend? I’d prefer to save the 3%. :nerd_face:

If I have to wait until Monday, does anyone know which banks I can use? The payment receipt just says “Payment may be made at any commissioned bank of the R.O.C. government treasury, except the post office.” - are commissioned banks all of them, or just a subset?

I don’t suppose I can pay at an ATM or using online banking?

1 Like

Several years ago, the last time I paid at a bank, I tried a couple that didn’t work. It may have eventually been a Huanan Bank where I succeeded.

Big caveats: this was a few years ago; maybe banks waved me away because they didn’t understand me; and I’d filed at tax office, not online.

EDIT: Ha - found someone who asked basically the same question nine years ago. Oh ho, I thought, here we go! But no one answered.

1 Like

You can pay online with certain local credit cards.

And Taiwan thinks it can become a financial hub …

1 Like

US taxes can’t be paid via credit card without massive fees. I’d call this an improvement.

But if I don’t care about fees, I can. Can you here?

You can also pay :us: taxes via direct deposit from any bank. So maybe nit a huge improvement.

I can actually do online filing for US taxes, sitting here. I don’t have to submit paper for every single thing.

Not so here. The online filing is just a theatre.

1 Like

The fees are under 2% and can be deducted in many cases. If you have a rewards credit card, you can easily recoup the value in rewards. For example if you get 1% cashback, the net fee is only 1%.

Paying taxes by credit card can be a really good way to take advantage of new credit card signup bonuses that require you to spend a certain amount within a certain period of time after account opening.

1 Like

Yes, with no fees.

https://paytax.nat.gov.tw/mTax/Index.aspx

But can I still do that if I selected to pay in cash in the e-filing program?

Is it the website you posted in your next comment?

It’s the pay. They get what they pay for.

This I don’t know. I’ve always selected credit card when filing and this is the website it directs me to. It may be possible to amend the payment method using the software.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, I tried changing the payment method in the software but it doesn’t let anything be altered after June 30, apparently.

And the website only seems to allow payments for 2021 now, with the English version stating “If the payment is overdue, please go to the payment agencies.”

:unamused:

1 Like

I did actually just check whether I could pay at an ATM. However, both CTBC (Chinese version only) and First Bank apparently require some kind of category/code.

The only code I know for income tax is 15K, and it’s a bit hard to make a “K” on a numeric keypad (“15” doesn’t work - I tried). Anyone know what code this refers to? (It seems it can be up to 5 digits - “10000” was accepted.)

Why does Taiwan do things in such a pathetic fashion.

This website works only for Taipei residents :exploding_head:

https://ntbt.etax.nat.gov.tw/etwmain/web/ETW142W2

All that should be needed on this tiny island is to put your Id number and get tax payment/refund status. Why is this so hard for the people here to design ???

This is the schedule for refunds. It takes these incompetents months to issue refunds even if you file “online”:

https://www.mof.gov.tw/Eng/singlehtml/f48d641f159a4866b1d31c0916fbcc71?cntId=f4d64e2fc0f6457c8ba1e3ac78412dd7

So they contacted me asking for supplemental documentation. I was hoping they wouldn’t bother. They said I could email them a w2 or 1040 from US. I guess they don’t care about the security of my identity. I was only here part of 2020, so those documents won’t show the amount reported in tw. I REALLY hope this doesn’t come to me having to have a notarized part-year salary certification. I do my own payroll, so it isn’t like I can self-certify.

1 Like

So what was the outcome? I cannot find for the life of me if I can claim a dependent in taiwan that doesn’t live here, but I claim on my taxes in the US. She was 19 at the end of 2021 and not a student.

2 Likes