Online tax filing for foreigners

A-ha mentioned this on the APRC thread, but it seemed like it deserved it’s own thread. If this is not news, then I apologize, but it was news to me that we could now file online. I’m about half-way through the process, but so far it’s been pretty easy.

You can download the required program here:
tax.nat.gov.tw/info.html?id=9#link2

If you owe, you can pay here:
paytax.nat.gov.tw/

Actually, it was pretty easy to file in the Xindian office because the woman there filled in the whole form for me, but this is worth a try.

Thanks CraigTPE! :thumbsup: As far as I know this is the first year that we can also file our taxes online. Unfortunately I only found out about it the day after I went to file in person. Do let us know about your progress! :slight_smile:

Well, it is pretty simple to use, and even calculated the deduction for my 72 year old dad. Problem is, when I get to point where I am to upload filing data, I get an error message that says “2011/05/01 is not a valid date”. I didn’t enter that date anywhere on the form. I wonder if there is supposed to be a filing date box somewhere that I didn’t see, which might be set at May 1 by default. I just can’t find it. I’ve e-mailed their customer service for help.

Well, problem solved. I just closed and reopened the program, opened the tax return file I had saved, went to the page to submit the return, and it accepted it. Told me to print out about 6 pages, including one that itemized the supporting documents I have to either mail in or take to the tax office.

While it’s cool to e-file, all things considered it’s easier just to take my paperwork to the tax office and let them deal with it, especially since I will probably make the trip myself to submit my supporting documents.

Could it be that you needed to use the Taiwan year 99 instead of 2011? Not sure, just guessing why it would be deemed invalid.

That would be a good guess, but when the program asks for which tax year is being filed, it gives a drop-down menu with 2010 and 2011. Also, when filling in birthdays and entry/exit dates, it gives a blank with 4 spaces for the year.

I think it’s internal with the program, but problem solved by closing and reopening the program and opening the tax file that was previously saved.

I have to say, the program is terrible, it looks like it was made for Windows 3.11…
That said, I had someone help and still ran into problems submitting it, but it got solved in the end.
If nothing else, it saves a trip to the tax office…

For me it’s pretty easy to file in person, too. The tax office is about a 10 minutes walk from my flat. I usually go in at 13:00 and is out of there by 13:10! The two ladies who work at the “Foreigner” counter has been there since the time of CKS, I’m sure and they know what they’re doing. In any case, this was the last time for me filing taxes as a “foreigner”. Next year this time I’ll be mere weeks away from picking up my Taiwan ID card!

It’s good to know that we have more than one option, though! :slight_smile:

Year 99?!?!?!??! Does this mean that there is a Y1C problem waiting in the wings?

It is indeed and it’s been reported in the media here quite a lot already as many old computer systems in Taiwan are only good for two digit years…

Year 99?!?!?!??! Does this mean that there is a Y1C problem waiting in the wings?[/quote]

Yeah it happened 5 months and 23 days ago. Island wide power outages, planes crashing and 7-11’s were closed everywhere in the chaos.

tax year 99 = last year

I went in person again this year. I don’t mind going. The tax office always has a cohort of uni students who have volunteered (or been volunteered, as one told me last year), to assist foreigners with their tax returns. This typically means a group of a dozen girls hanging around the tables and computers, waiting with cheerful if apprehensive expressions for foreigners to arrive. The morning I went, I saw a single guy in the group, and I have to say the pink and gray polo neck uniform looked more appropriate on his XX chromosome colleagues.

No sooner had I approached the stack of tax declaration documents, than I was engaged by a taller than usual girl with a soft Canadian accent and very good English who ensured I had selected the correct form. I had only just sat down at a table and taken a pen, when there materialized next to me a much smaller girl with short bobbed hair dyed in the rusty colour so common here, and who spoke almost no English other than the numbers from one to ten and a small handful of other words. As I filled in the first part of the form (with which I was very familiar after six years), she accompanied me with a commentary in Chinese, which I supposed was her way of being helpful.

I made appreciative noises for her sake, and concentrated on writing as she burbled away happily. It seemed not to have occurred to her that explaining to me in Chinese sections of the form which were marked clearly in English was somewhat redundant, but it was obviously helping her feel useful so I concentrated on picking up a few Chinese words for next time. Intent on completing my form as soon as possible in order to get to a company meeting on time, I didn’t even look at her until she asked me (again in Chinese), if I had stayed in Taiwan the requisite number of years to qualify as a tax resident and wanted to check my passport for my entry and exit dates.

Finally turning to acknowledge her, I found myself in front of a small girl looking approximately sixteen, with large puppy dog eyes radiating an expression of embarrassingly earnest desire to please. I’m not a morning person at the best of times, and this was a little too much to handle before 9am. I felt about 80 years old, and wanted to go home, crawl into a sarcophagus, and wait for the mercifully inevitable.

:roflmao: Brilliant post, Fortigurn!

Hi!

I just completed the procedure and I’m sitting with an NTF and NTM file + 2 others for banking. I don’t have a printer. Any ideas what to do? Find a computer that does have one? I can’t open these otherwise. Let’s assume if I can, could I just email them signed and done to my tax office. The app suggested a CD or Floppy… wtf?

It looks like I’m wasting my time here.

Any suggestions?

Most years, April 15 is the very last day to submit Income Tax Returns . This year though, taxpayers get an extra two days to submit. However, for many, this will still be too soon. But there are some filing recommendations for tax procrastinators. Article resource: Last minute tax filing tips for procrastinators

Except for citizens living overseas. We get an automatic 2-month extension.

I don’t see a Tax Filing 2023 thread so I post my question here. @olm feel free to transfer it somewhere more appropriate.

Last year I had issues with online filing (my card was charged but my filing data were not uploaded) so I had to go to the office personally. It was quite an ordeal. This month I’m not in Taiwan so I was hoping that it would work. Did anyone encounter these two issues and have a workaround by any chance?

• The currency conversion field (5F, overseas income) somehow codes anything with decimals into a 0, so my calculated taxes become zero as well. The only way to make it work is to round it (mine was 21,60 so I made it 22). Any other suggestion?

• I get an error message at the very end (“failed to upload” plus other Chinese characters that mean the same). I have set Taipei as time zone, and my NHI card is connected and activated for online services. I entered the password so it’s not that. Can it be because I’m filing in the weekend? I will try again tomorrow during Taiwan working hours but if you have any other idea let me know :melting_face:

Did you set regional settings to Taiwan (not just timezone)? Regional settings include date-format and commas versus dots, things like that.

Are you on Windows or Mac? To upload using the Windows app I do not think you need your NHI card linked or anything.

3 Likes

@TaipeiGuy2000 Thanks for the suggestions. I got the same error message, even with regional settings on Taiwan. S***y system :roll_eyes: But just FYI I’m on Windows and I was asked to enter the password for my NHI upon requesting the upload.

1 Like

Oh ok… I have not gone to upload stage yet this year.