Only Rich Will Eat Beef in 2050

all this talk bout beef made me go and get a steak dinner last nite :smiley:

Taiwan Sizzler likes em big but flat (and not as good) but Calif Sizzler has em small but thick (NICE). Got a six ounce with salad bar, no drink for 12 plus 2 tip. Not bad, but not filet. ITs tri-tip. Not as nice as filet but hey not bad for 14 out the door.

I do like TW Sizzler for their salad bar , cuz they do a nice spaghetti with meat sauce, better then the one here I go to .

Eating beef / meat is not the cause of world hunger. The way people tell it, it sounds like if there was no demand for grain to feed to the Cow, all that spare grain would be given to poor people. Do you really believe that?

If you were a farmer that produced grain, and you had no one to sell it to, would you keep on producing it and giving it to poor people? If you did decide to keep on farming and giving grain to poor people, how would you afford to keep the farm running?

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]There’s always Soylent Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE
[/quote]

I’ve wondered about that in connection with the Nazi concentration camps.

It would seem to “make sense” in that context, and would have eased logistical problems of supply and disposal. Given that they were running an industrialised murder machine, it’d hardly be squeamishness that’d stop them, and they’d have been well able to develop food processing technologies that we are only now enjoying the doubtful benefits of.

However, I’ve only seen one passing reference to it, and I went through a “morbid fascination” phase where I read as much about the camps as I could stand. When I was an early teenager the school library had a photo-compilation book on (I think, long time ago) the last 100 days of WWII, which mentioned an incident where a work kommando of children prisoners ran the wrong way at meal call and were machine gunned.

The meal was described as “a small portion of human meat”. Perhaps children, with their higher protein requirements, got special rations.

I guess it wasn’t done generally because, even processed, a high protein diet would have been suspicious of itself, and so hard to keep secret. Its also seems likely that starvation was a deliberate policy rather than just a reflection of shortage or neglect, and industrialised canibalism would conflict with that.

Hmm…I don’t seem to have achieved the expected lightness of tone. Sorry.