Oola Mexican Grill - Food & Service

Went back yesterday, not as good as before and new staff that didn’t quite seem to know what they were doing. I think it was more of a staff issue than anything else, although the food was by no means terrible, just not as good as the previous two times I’ve been.

I went there for takeaway the other week, and was served quickly and efficiently. Very impressed. The food is also surprisingly filling.

I am addicted. No joke, I’ve been missing Mexican food forever and although this isn’t “real” Mexican food or whatever, it definitely satisfied my craving and leaves me wanting more! The portions are huge and they put a LOT of meat in, which is a change from the stinginess of most places, so huge +++ on that! I also like how they have a corn “salsa” I guess? They also have quesadillas if you ask and the portion is huge and meat filled! I also love that the place is clean and the food is not super oily like most places in Taiwan. It has a nice feeling to it and there’s an upstairs and a slight balcony! The service here is great both times I came and they’re friendly. Overall, it’s a nice place and I loved it. Can’t stop going on about it, but I’ve been looking for a Mexican food place and this was great. :slight_smile:

I mentioned this place to a friend who lives in the area recently and she exclaimed that she and her boyfriend went three times the week they found out about it and have been going at least weekly since. Guess we’ve been a little starved for decent affordable mex-style food for some time! :thumbsup:

Was very happy with the barbacoa burrito I got here. Tasty, reasonably priced, and served up quickly in a clean, friendly feeling place. I agree with whoever suggested adding refried beans to the menu. I’d love to see that, but maybe it’s just not something that’s popular with the local market. I really liked that you get a choice of salsas. The green, in particular, was quite good.

we walked around NTU the other day looking for this and couldn’t find it.

I’d really like to find it now since the reviews here have been good.

It’s directly behind the movie theater on TingZhou road.

Yes, there is a small lane full of noodle shops and such that shoots off into dead ends in either direction, big enough for pedestrian trafic only. It’s just off the north east corner of that tiny little lane. I walked right by it the first time I went; it’s not completely obvious.

I haven’t been on this website in forever,
but I wanted to make the point to stop by and say how wonderful this place is.

Cheap, delicious and quick. :thumbsup:

It’s hella good and quite healthy. I added it to Foursquare for help peeps using smartphones to find it, as doesn’t show up in the Goog index.

Yesterday I had a burrito bowl. I never had one before. They must be a fad or something. I wonder if they are popping up in other countries. It’s kind of what we used to call a taco salad. But this one has rice in it. Not too bad. I’d go here more often, but I’m trying to lose weight. I noticed that the have remodeled the interior. It looks a lot better now. It’s got the wood veneer.

Best restaurant thread ever. There is no mention of an address until page 3. Even the owner of this restaurant, who is posting here, hasn’t bothered to link an address. From the sounds of things, this place isn’t very easy to find, and not linking your restaurant to Google Maps is a great way to attract foreigners…

Maybe that’s the same as an Okinawa national dish. Probably THE Okinawa national dish after SPAM.

It’s called Taco Rice (in English, Japanese, AND Okinawan) here.

Very post-1946 cuisine, of course.

Weird that. There’s an address in the Oola Chat Thread…
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1&start=10
… which I assume was split off at some point.

Anyway: 台北市中正區羅斯福路四段136巷1弄3號 / No. 3, Lane 136, Alley 1, Roosevelt Road, Sec. 4, Taipei.

Sort of around back of the night market, behind a movie theater. Both times I went I’ve been mildly surprised that I found it. The Chinese address above does work in Google maps.

[quote]Weird that. There’s an address in the Oola Chat Thread…
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1&start=10
… which I assume was split off at some point.

Anyway: 台北市中正區羅斯福路四段136巷1弄3號 / No. 3, Lane 136, Alley 1, Roosevelt Road, Sec. 4, Taipei.

Sort of around back of the night market, behind a movie theater. Both times I went I’ve been mildly surprised that I found it. The Chinese address above does work in Google maps.[/quote]

Thanks for the address.

Unreal there is more than one thread for a Tex-Mex restaurant. Forumosa can be irritating like that sometimes.

I went to Macho Tacos instead.

This thread got me hungry for Oola’s, so I went there this evening about 5:30pm. Gongguan was packed with people as usual and it was tough to elbow my way around, and when I got to Oola’s the door was half open and the lights were off. So I figured that they must be opening at 6. I come back at 6:05 and its the same thing. I don’t get it, are they closed on monday’s? Do they not open till 7pm? I came all the way from Banciao so I was a bit disappointed. They’re missing out on a lot of potential traffic if they’re gonna be closed. Anyways i headed over to Bravo Burger and had an awesome Spicy Mexican burger. I forgot how good Bravo is! Next time I’ll probably go to Macho Tacos, but I really wish they had more seats.

edit: silly me. Its probably because of CNY, although seems like most other restaurants were open tonight.

The address posted to Foursquare.com doesn’t match that posted by lostinasia. They are significantly different. Which is correct?

Foursquare.com’s address: ---------------------------------------> lostinasia’s address:

(Shrug.) The address I posted matches the one that Oola posted in the other thread. The non Foursquare map “looks” better to me - the place is not on a main road. However, I’m not anywhere near there, and I don’t have a business card in front of me.

(Shrug.) The address I posted matches the one that Oola posted in the other thread. The non Foursquare map “looks” better to me - the place is not on a main road. However, I’m not anywhere near there, and I don’t have a business card in front of me.[/quote]
I think so, too. There’s the movie theater on Dingzou Rd. and you just walk to the alley behind it.

They’ve been around quite a while, esp. on the West Coast.
They’re basically just a burrito without the tortilla.

[quote]A burrito bowl is a burrito or fajita served without the tortilla,[25] with the fillings placed in a bowl. Its establishment can be traced to the beginning of the low carb fad in the early 2000s. A burrito bowl does have carbohydrates, traditionally in the form of a layer of rice at the bottom. It is not to be confused with a taco salad, which has a foundation of lettuce inside a fried tortilla. The burrito bowl is found in some form at all the major national Mexican chains including Chipotle, Qdoba, Panchero’s, and Moe’s Southwest Grill.

[/quote]