Oola Mexican Grill - the chat thread

I know nothing about this place, but I just spotted this on Facebook: facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pag … 658?ref=nf

Looks like it has potential. :cactus:

Looks promising but a little out of the way at Gongguan Night Market.

Is that where it is?
Perfect! :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

I’m looking forward to trying this. Gongguan, too! Practically next door (well, kind of. 15 minutes on the MRT.)
It’ll be pretty cheap, too, for the student trade, I bet.

Woohoo! That’s right in my neck of the woods. Definitely looking forward to it!

I just noticed that its describing itself as fast food, too. Even better. Taipei needs more good non-Chinese fast food. I think its a damn good idea.

Ola’ = Informal hello in Mescan and some Spanish speaking areas.

Oola = what?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Ola’ = Informal hello in Mescan and some Spanish speaking areas.

Oola = what?[/quote]
Tai-Mex? :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Ola’ = Informal hello in Mescan and some Spanish speaking areas.

Oola = what?[/quote]Tai-Mex? :laughing:[/quote]
Good guess.
Also could be an attempt at ‘French-Mex’…Ooo Lala !

Some of the business signs I’ve seen reflect these rather adventurous attempts at engrish

Hope they are successful, but I can’t imagine them maintaining quality and accompanying price when all the food around there, and customer’s budget, is so cheap. So they will be forced to lower to quality to compete, and then modify the food to satisfy the Taiwan taste.

The suspense is killing me… I hope it lasts…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Ola’ = Informal hello in Mescan and some Spanish speaking areas.

Oola = what?[/quote]Tai-Mex? :laughing:[/quote]
Good guess.
Also could be an attempt at ‘French-Mex’…Ooo Lala !

Some of the business signs I’ve seen reflect these rather adventurous attempts at engrish[/quote]

Actually, a Mexican chef invited here for a series of conferences explained that there is a lot of French cusine influence in Mexican fare. Interesting.

[quote=“tango42”]Hope they are successful, but I can’t imagine them maintaining quality and accompanying price when all the food around there, and customer’s budget, is so cheap. So they will be forced to lower to quality to compete, and then modify the food to satisfy the Taiwan taste.

The suspense is killing me… I hope it lasts…[/quote]
As far as I can tell, its a Taiwanese venture, so the modifications will probably already have been made, but we can but hope. I really hope its not a “god! Never again!” place. We shall see.

I hope that they don’t confuse Mexican with Tex-Mex, and that they don’t limit themselves to the overdone and often badly done antojitos (tacos, burritos etc.).
So far, El Gallo has done the best job of getting away from that kind of limitation.

I’ve read that before, although I had never noticed it myself (perhaps I’ve not done enough gourmet dining there yet), except of course for the bolillos, which are a variation on French bread. In fact, I made an épi (épi de blé, a baguette cut to resemble an ear of wheat) with a slightly modified French bread dough recipe the other day, and when I broke off each piece, I discovered it to be closer to authentic Mexican bolillos than my intentional attempts to make bolillos. Now if only I had written down my modifications!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I was hoping more along the lines that they’d avoid putting sugar in the beans, but go ahead! Wish for the moon. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi guys,
I know you guys have a lot of questions and expectations of the store. I would gladly answer all of them. : )
My name is Nito. I am one of the owner’s of Oola Mexican Grill. For the concern of Mexican and Tex-Mex-- We are Tex-Mex. We serve Burritos, Fajita Burritos (made for vegetarians), Burrito Bowl, Tacos, and Salad. We do have Haas Guacamole.

Our meal includes any of these and chips and a drink for 150-200 depending on what meat you pick.
We have triple AAA grade steak from America and our barbacoa is from new zealand. Our Chicken and pork is from here.

The question about the name being Oola. We do know hello in Spanish is spelled Ola’ or Hola. However, in Taiwan, they tend to pronounce the H and we want to be a twist to mexican restaurant. Our atmosphere is more modern and fresh, and therefore we wanted our name to represent that too. More adventurous as someone else had said.

Is the food good? Some believe that our food will have to be degraded to cut costs. That is true usually. However, i guarantee that all our products are top of the line. Our vegetable is made from romaine. That can explain a lot already. Our chipotle sauce is imported, our cheese is imported. Our guacamole is Haas. We have a great chef.

I will answer any questions and if you just come and try it out. You will see.
I won’t say too much about what i believe we offer. It is best our customers decide on their own if the place is good. You can see some reviews either on our Facebook or some other forums.

Still haven’t found the address.

How about an address? QUICK! The place looks nice and the menu looks GREAT, in the KISS tradition, which I think is a good thing. Sooner you put up an address, the sooner I’ll be there.
Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

I’m on a diet.

On their facebook page the address is:

Alley 1, Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 4 Zhongzeng
Dist. Taipei, Taiwan

台北市中正區羅斯福路四段136巷1弄3號
(公館夜市東南亞戲院旁)

Phone Number: +886-02-2363-1111