Oola Mexican Grill - the chat thread

Thanks, TwoTongues. Lane 136. Anyone know offhand which one that is?

It says it’s at the movie theater, so it is the alley next to the Shiyuan traditional market -the one they painted cobalt blue- hence on one side it has teh fruit stand and an expensive shoe store: MACANA

EDIT:
the second alley, the one by Tin Kua Kua

Got it. Thanks. Last question because I can’t be bothered going to Facebook or scrolling up or whatever :wink: – what’s their opening hours? Ima developing a hunger for a pair of burritos tonight – steak and carnitas? Steak and steak? Carnitas and carnitas?

I will be waiting for sandman’s review before I go.

Bit off topic:

While you guys are at it, scuttlebut is that there is someone selling real Spanish churros with real, como Dios manda, chocolate, in Gonguan. If anyone knows here/has tried them/it is Oola etc. gives us a hint.

[quote=“Icon”]Bit off topic:

While you guys are at it, scuttlebut is that there is someone selling real Spanish churros with real, como Dios manda, chocolate, in Gonguan. If anyone knows here/has tried them/it is Oola etc. gives us a hint.[/quote]
There’s a Mexican food stand next to the water park. That might be it. Their food tastes like Tequila Sunrise.

Our facebook page is Oola Mexican Grill. If you want more info, refer to there or email info@oola.com.tw

Alley 1, Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 4 Zhongzeng
Dist. Taipei, Taiwan

台北市中正區羅斯福路四段136巷1弄3號
(公館夜市東南亞戲院旁)
Phone Number: +886-02-2363-1111

If you are confused, alley 136 is behind dong nan ya movie theater. Look for a place with a upstairs porch. You can’t miss the place. : )

I’ve never heard of the churros sorry : ( There is a food stand called Tequila Sunrise across from 7/11 at the water park. But you better be ready to pay a premium : ( Maybe try there : ) The might have it.

So we just opened on may 29th of 2010. The first day was only opened for 3 hours and we sold over 500 burritos. We do want to thank our facebook fans for helping spread the word.

For those that were interested in trying the food, just come by. Don’t be scared of the price of Mexican Food in Taiwan. I know it is a little expensive, but we have priced low to be able to make it more available to you. Can give you a little explanation of our menu to let you understand more.

We have 5 different types of food.
-Burrito
-Fajita Burrito(vegetarian with sauted veges but if you would like to add meat, it is 20)
-Burrito Bowl
-Tacos(2 tacos for each order)
-Salad

After you choose what you would like to have, you decide on the meat(this will determine the actual price of your dish)
All dishes are the same price but the meat are different prices
-chicken 130
-steak 150
-carnitas(stewed pork) 130
-barbacoa(stewed beef) 135
-vegetarian 120

After that, you customize your own burrito or what ever dish you have chosen by adding what you want
-lettuce
-sour cream
-cheese(cheddar and pepper jack mix)
-haas guacamole(+20)
-corn salsa
-fresh salsa(mild)
-green salsa(med)
-red salsa(hot)

You can add chips salsa and self served drink(refillable) for ONLY 29

So lets say you have a chicken burrito with everything on it except for guac. Then you add the chips, salsa, and bottomless drink for 29.
Your total is 159

If you are thinking that we have to down grade our food due to pricing so low for the market in this area, you are wrong. I can guarantee you we use the best ingredients we can find.
-Our tortilla will be pressed daily
-Our chips are friend daily
-Our tacos are fried daily
-Our guacamole is HAAS
-Our steak is AAA grade steak from America
-Our beef is AAA grade from NZ
-Our salsa are self made
-Our lettuce is romaine
-We import our chipotle sauce, Tabasco sauce, jalapenos
-Our herbs are picked fresh from our balcony garden and used for our stew and seasonings

We have not been able to get beans cheap enough but we are working on that. We are talking to a couple of suppliers. We don’t want to charge you extra for it unless we have to, therefore it is taking us a bit more time. I myself do hope to get them cheaper for our customers.

Our food is definitely awesome. I have confidence in that.

One other great thing:
FREE WIFI: 10 megs internet
Our ambiance is nice, modern music, customer service is great, the place is clean, we do have 2 bathrooms, a porch area, coronas, and 2 Tvs.
If you don’t believe me, come test it out.

My name is Nito, I am from Oola Mexican Grill. I will be here everyday. I would be happy to see you guys.
Facebook/Twitter: Oola Mexican Grill

Alley 1, Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 4 Zhongzeng
Dist. Taipei, Taiwan

台北市中正區羅斯福路四段136巷1弄3號
(公館夜市東南亞戲院旁)

Phone Number: +886-02-2363-1111
Please do call us for directions if you are lost : ) We would gladly help you

Email: info@oola.com.tw

Best of luck with the new venture. :bravo:

Has anyone been?

(Anubis)-Thank you for your support : )
We had a lot of foreigners try our food already. I am not allowed to give you critiques but you can check out our facebook page. Some of the people that have tried it show their feelings about our food. Bad and good, we take them all into consideration.

The only thing i haven’t been able to solve just yet is beans. But i am working hard on that.
Our opening ours are

OPEN HOURS:
SUN-THU:
11AM-10PM
FRI-SAT:
11AM-11PM

We do stay open later if there are customers : )

I’m glad to hear that Oola’s Tex Mex grill is serving up some healthy stuff! :slight_smile:

Mexican food can actually be very healthy, or unhealthy, just like food from any country (there is great variety in the cuisine), but some fast food Mexican stuff and fast food Tex-Mex (which isn’t representative of Mexican cuisine) is often not, what with lard (fat) in the beans, plus fatty meat plus cheese (high fat), plus sour cream (high fat) and guacamole (high in fat), and then frying the whole damned thing all over again in the case of a chimichanga, for instance. Chips are fried of course, and nachos are worse. And the portions are often oversized, with too much of the fattening fillings including carbs, and not enough of the healthier veggies.

Just choose items that aren’t loaded with the above, and that aren’t fried or oversized. If that leaves you with zero choices, you’re at the wrong restaurant. :idunno:

Mexican food isn’t all covered in cheese, and it isn’t all fried. Soft tortillas are reasonably healthy, so choose those instead of fried ones. Salsa is healthy. Order some lean grilled meat (especially chicken), soft tortillas on the side, and salsa. Put the three together and you’ll have a delicious meal (add some veggies of course) without packing on pounds.

Hey Nito, do you have corn tortillas, or flour ones? Just curious.

I would also encourage you to design and offer a ‘light burrito’ option, with fewer beans, less meat and more veggies, more salsa, less sour cream, no guac, and no cheese. The whole thing would be much smaller, and it would not be fried. The price point would be lower. I think some people would go for that. And some of the people ordering it would then have room to order other menu items, so you wouldn’t necessarily be taking in less money.

Also, a ‘light grill’ option, of soft tortillas with lean grilled meat like chicken, salsa, and green veggies on the side, perhaps with a small side of rice, as I mention above would also be very welcome. Just a suggestion.

dragonbones:
Thank you for the advice. I love it when people are so considerate about us and give us different point of views to see so that we can provide the best options possible.
Regarding healthiness, our burrito is made how you want it. All the options are there for you, but you choose what you want inside.
The tortilla is if flour tortilla and we use corn tortilla for our chips and taco shells.
How much you want of each item is your choice. The price does not change. Which item you want is your choice, the price does not change.

If you ordered a soft tortilla with our lean grilled chicken, whichever salsa you want or all of them, romaine lettuce, and some rice, it is still 130. : ) with chips salsa and all you can drink is only 29 more.
Therefore would only be 159. Our price point is lower than we can even handle but we hope people to spread the word so that Mexican food can spread to Taiwan more. : )

I hope you are able to come try it dragonbones. My name is nito, hope to meet you soon : )
Have a good day

I look forward to trying it. Please tell me the tacos are served hot!

The reason I say that, I went to a taco place near Shiddah or however you spell it. It was call ‘The Taco Stand’. The guy served the meat cold. It even had an ice cube in it.

Then he argued when I told him that I have never eaten a taco with cold meat on it. It was kind of nasty. Like cold ground pork. Yuck, who the hell wants to eat that?

I think if I was running that business, I would be totally interested in 2 things. Number 1, knowing what an American Tex Mex taco is all about (such an easy thing–easier than a pizza)P. 2. Taking constructive criticism from Westerners.

It is like opening a Taiwanese restaurant in the US and then serving Sanbeijee with tomatos and carrots, and lettuce in it. Then when a Taiwanese person complains, I act like I know better than them.

Beautiful! Thanks, we’re looking forward to trying your place. :slight_smile:

Gift Horse:
Our tacos are cold and hot. The reason i say that is because our shells are fried then set down to cool down so it isn’t hot. Our meat is kept at 100 degrees with our water warmer nonstop to keep it hot and fresh. If it dries out, we throw it out and make a new batch for our customers. However, we have a cold station full of lettuce, cheese, guacamole, fresh salsa, green salsa, red salsa, corn salsa, and sour cream, which is cold. So depending on how you think. You can decide if our tacos are hot. BUT be sure that our tacos do not have ice or frozen meat in there LOL.

I laughed really hard when i read that. AHHAHA, ill be sure to make your tacos how you like it. If you want to see how the food looks like, go to our facebook page.
Oola Mexican Grill
We just posted up pics of the food to let you have a feel of it before you come.

Nice to meeting you GiftHorse, cant wait to meet you
Nito : )

Thank you for the constructive Criticism. We always welcome advice and opinions, good or bad are always helpful

I couldn’t get over there last night, but it really does sound better and better. This weekend for sure!

TGIS! We know how everyone would like to be able to enjoy a nice and chill weekend after a hard week of work. Starting this Saturday, May 6th, Oola will be having a Happy Hour promotion, Corona beers BUY ONE GET ONE FREE! Every Saturday from 6pm - 8pm. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity to relax at our venue while enjoying a delicious Mexican Burrito. And as a special promotion to those that don’t tend to eat too much, Oola will be offering a Simple Taco meal, which includes one taco, chips and salsa, and a bottomless soda for only NT$99!! :thumbsup:

Finally got over there on Sunday. Spotlessly clean, friendly people. Had the carnitas tacos, which were quite nice and fresh, but a lot blander than I was expecting. Not really to my taste, but then, I’ve never had Tex-Mex before, so maybe that’s why – I’m more used to Mexican.
Its also very very light. I’m not a big eater, but even I was still hungry afterward after tacos, chips & salsa. I’ll be back, though probably for snacking rather than a meal.
Probably if you did some refried beans it would make them more filling. (No need to import them, by the way – any local dry goods store will sell you dried pinto beans. Very cheap indeed.)

One other great thing:
FREE WIFI: 10 megs internet

This is a terrible terrible idea…Many restaurants think providing wireless to their customers is a good service which will attract people to come to their shop, but just ends up stretching peoples eating time from 30 minutes to 3 hours. People here are nototrious for sitting at a table to play facebook or chat on MSN while your other customers wait and wait and wait. Unless you have 1000 tables in your restaurant, you should remove this asap. Turnover is a very important part of the restaurant business, and if you cant turn your tables over, you will sink. Many others have offered wifi in their restaurants, all have stopped eventually. Its just not economically feasible.