Ooooh Gangstas VS old ladies in the park

iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 … 161C893615

so they dont want people who exercise to clap their hands anymore…how about drilling and scooters that sound like chainsaws?

Ha, my message came through … :slight_smile:

Whenever those hand-clapping oldsters would go by, I used to bug my wife by singing a bar or two of the “If you’re happy and you know it…” song.

But, hey, now we can see that there’s a good alternative for a wide range of annoying noise-making routines. Just post a Chinese sign written in crayon, quill pens or whatever Taiwanese gangsters use for their urgent public announcements to tell locals not to do whatever other annoying things they do, using the same basic phrasing: “We suggest you stop [insert annoying activity here]. If you continue to [insert activity] and disturb our sleep, you must shoulder all the consequences.”

Some suggested items for prohibiting with gangstery signs, just to test the limits:

1. loud mah-jeong tile-scrambling and tile-dropping
  2. grannies holding a shouting-level conversation on the way to the local veggie market at 6 a.m.
  3. driving of scooters/motorcycles about neighborhoods to stuff mailboxes with junk-mail flyers
  4. noisy mobile-phone conversations on the MRT, in movie theaters, etc.
  5. loud home karaoke systems playing grannie songs
  6. people who exercise in the early mornings by hitting themselves

And just to see if we can expand it beyond noisemaking:

1. spitting betel nut juice on rubberized flooring at the playground
  2. old men hawkin’ up massive gobs of spit early in the morning
  3. old men who don’t shut the shower-stall doors at the public pool

Edited Because this is a much better suggestion…

[quote=“mofangongren”]Whenever those hand-clapping oldsters would go by, I used to bug my wife by singing a bar or two of the “If you’re happy and you know it…” song.

But, hey, now we can see that there’s a good alternative for a wide range of annoying noise-making routines. Just post a Chinese sign written in crayon, quill pens or whatever Taiwanese gangsters use for their urgent public announcements to tell locals not to do whatever other annoying things they do, using the same basic phrasing: “We suggest you stop [insert annoying activity here]. If you continue to [insert activity] and disturb our sleep, you must shoulder all the consequences.”

Some suggested items for prohibiting with gangstery signs, just to test the limits:

1. loud mah-jeong tile-scrambling and tile-dropping
  2. grannies holding a shouting-level conversation on the way to the local veggie market at 6 a.m.
  3. driving of scooters/motorcycles about neighborhoods to stuff mailboxes with junk-mail flyers
  4. noisy mobile-phone conversations on the MRT, in movie theaters, etc.
  5. loud home karaoke systems playing grannie songs
  6. people who exercise in the early mornings by hitting themselves

And just to see if we can expand it beyond noisemaking:

1. spitting betel nut juice on rubberized flooring at the playground
  2. old men hawkin’ up massive gobs of spit early in the morning
  3. old men who don’t shut the shower-stall doors at the public pool[/quote]

I’m glad at least someone is taking initiative to make Taiwan a more peaceful place. Aren’t there any real laws/ordinances about noise?

Hey… don’t forget to add yappy dogs and dogs that bark louder than a 747 taking off AND who bark at anything passing by AND who are somehow able to bark even though they have a muzzle on.

[quote=“shawn_c”]I’m glad at least someone is taking initiative to make Taiwan a more peaceful place. Aren’t there any real laws/ordinances about noise?

Hey… don’t forget to add yappy dogs and dogs that bark louder than a 747 taking off AND who bark at anything passing by AND who are somehow able to bark even though they have a muzzle on.[/quote]

Of course there are laws. They just aren’t enforced.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]

Of course there are laws. They just aren’t enforced.[/quote]

… and that’s why all of us foreigners live happily in Taiwan … :smiley:

wouldn’t be surprised if the same gangsters were involved in igniting fire-crackers at a local temple, those temple helpers almost always look like gangsters