Oops, been lazy and need advice!

OK, this is really bad of me… I need some advice: I’ve had an ARC for a year and a half and have never filed my taxes! Now I’m leaving Taiwan and not sure what to do about it. I was never charged 20% because I got my ARC after being in Taiwan for 8 months. I was charged 6% for about a year, and for the past six months I’ve been charged 10%. This is a part time job, so the most I’ve ever made there is about NT40,000, but usually I make NT30-35,000.

This is probably a really stupid question, but should I even bother filing my taxes now? I’m leaving Taiwan in a couple of weeks. Could I get in trouble for not doing this??

You might if you ever come back to work here and file taxes in the future. Otherwise, I don’t think they require a tax declaration for leaving the country anymore.

well, I went away for three years and came back. Hadn’t filed a tax return here ever.
Had to get a tax certificate as part of the process of renewing my visa.
Result? Had to do tax returns back to 1999…ie 7 years ago. I was very very fortunate the tax office accepted copies of the deduction forms from the school I used to work at, and that the school was still willing to give me said copies. 4 years of assessed back taxes would not have been nice.
Oh, since the forms were acceptable, I get apparently get a refund too :slight_smile:

So, yeah if you intend returning, or even suspect you might, then filing a return is probably a good idea.

Do it. My guess is that it wont be as bad as you think. My first year here was spent travelling around the island and sighteeing. As a consequence, I had very little declred income as I was using savings for my goofing off. Tax office questioned it and had me sign a letter of explanation. I even got a refund. Besides, you can go in and prepare the return, have it reviewed, see how much shit your in and then make up your mind if you want to proceed. At least in Banciao, they don’t collect the money in the same place you file.