Oops!

I guess we’ve all made some mistakes when teaching, but I feel pretty bad about this one.
I was correcting homework right before class and I came upon one book where the writing was very very messy. I am not that uptight about legibility, but this was awful. So, I circled the whole page and wrote in big block letters “REWRITE! I can’t read this!” I figured it was this one kid who always writes his homework in front of the tv and always makes such a mess.
Well, when I closed the book and saw the student’s name, my heart almost burst. It was a kid who broke his right arm the day before and had to use his left hand to write his homework.
OOPS!

[quote]It was a kid who broke his right arm the day before and had to use his left hand to write his homework.
[/quote]
And I suppose the brat tried to use his broken arm as some kind of lame excuse? We need to bring back the birch. Sort these pansy-ass little whiners out once and for all.

You know what? You’re right! That is a weak excuse. I think I’ll go in today and publicly ridicule him for his atrocious writing. Maybe I’ll involve the whole school.
Thanks Sandman!
:wink:

[quote=“ladybird”]You know what? You’re right! That is a weak excuse. I think I’ll go in today and publicly ridicule him for his atrocious writing. Maybe I’ll involve the whole school.
Thanks Sandman!
:wink:[/quote]

While you’re at it rip that fake cast off.

Take it from me, the best way to teach that kid not to write so poorly is to discipline the entire school. If you force them all to rewrite it, he’ll never write so poorly again, nor will he break his arm again.

Don’t forget to make him feel bad about breaking his arm too. That kind of carelessness is unforgivable.

“Oh, so you were trying to rescue your drowning grandmother were you? Didn’t you stop to think about your grades? You need to get your priorities straight, young man.”

Make hime write out “I will not break my arm again” 100 times, with his right hand.

Thanks all of you. I have seen the error of my ways. I am almost embarrassed at my lax attitude towards that little punk. And yes, I will rip that fake little “cast” off.

Hey, even if he’s not faking it, he’s going to need all the practice he can get until his arm gets better so think of it as doing him a favor.

The best thing is you’re making him a better left-hander and left-handers rule!

Rewrite his homework, do lines and make him learn to juggle one-handed as punishment for his writing. Make him do more lines everytime he drops the ball.

I would recommend not to do this. Just have the kid erase the homework right then and there and have him do it again. Most parents do not like to see a bunch of red on their kids’ work.

Remember: Happy parents=money. And money is what it is all about.

Damage limitation exercise.

Write ‘you do not have to’ abover the word ‘rewrite’ and ‘this when your arm gets better’ underneath, followed by ‘I am very pleased.’

Actually, I understand your point. Writing has to be legible for it to be worth making the effort of reading. If you absolutely can’t read his writing, be straight with the child and tell him, but also be sensitive and say you understand that he broke his arm, and it’s very difficult to write with the other hand (i’ve tried!).

When his arm is better, could he rewrite it clearly enough so that you can read it?

Be firm but gentle.

The kid probably is embarrassed anyway. As for using a red pen, is it really necessary? I don’t use a red pen much except for correction of exams, and that’s only to see my own marks. Another color may be just as effective, but less scary to both students and parents.

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]As for using a red pen, is it really necessary? I don’t use a red pen much except for correction of exams, and that’s only to see my own marks. Another color may be just as effective, but less scary to both students and parents.

Kenneth[/quote]

I use a blood colored one. Is that ok?