Open and safe places to visit in Lvl. 3 Restrictions

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2021/04/22/meet-the-man-in-a-bear-suit-walking-from-los-angeles-to-san-francisco.html

3 Likes

No Iā€™m didley sirrius. Itā€™s a ghost town. Thereā€™s no reason to go there. Nothing is open, theyā€™ve taped off every possible nook and cranny. Even the waterfall has yellow tape around it.

My pro tip for Wulai, you can still river trace at jiajiuliao 加九åÆ® two clicks before Wulai proper. Officially itā€™s not open of course but then it hasnā€™t officially been open for about ten years. The COVID sign is one of five signs in total all eminently ignorable.

My other pro tip, all the Yangmingshan hiking trails are open. And itā€™s lovely in the remoter corners because thereā€™s no one there. Thereā€™s no parking at all, but on a scooter you can always find a spot. Hiking etiquette amongst the hardy survivalist types braving the rampant virus in the forest (I saw maybe nine hikers in total) is to keep the mask under the neck and pull it up when you pass anyone. Which wonā€™t be often. Kudos to Mayor Ko for keeping these trails open. Mayor Ho has shut all of his, which has led to some odd scenarios on trails that cross the border, I.e. the dreaded yellow tape will suddenly appear. Not that anyone pays any heed to it.

6 Likes

I often stay in cabins., Many are closed due to local ordinance (against the owners wishes usually ). Some are open and prices have gone upā€¦Again.

Cabins are great. I do self check in and I bring groceries from home. So I donā€™t have to see or meet with anyone. Price is really an issueā€¦there is almost nothing below 5000ntd per night and Regent hotel in Taipei with breakfast is less than that :pensive: I guess demand is larger than supplyā€¦

2 Likes

Made it to jiajiuliao today, it was great tracing up the river. A sweet relief thanks man for the idea

3 Likes

Xindian has cases. Pinglin and Wulai do not. Hence, the extreme caution with prejudice.

Many people up there?

Not so much, there were a few other groups out and about but we pretty much had it to ourselves.

1 Like

I posted this over in the open thread yesterday, but Iā€™m reposting it here since I hope itā€™ll be useful and seems relevant to this thread.

A list of what I could find about open and closed hiking trails:

Hereā€™s a list someoneā€™s updating (most recently July 4) about which hiking trails are open and closed, at least according to their best guess. Itā€™s a really long list, including ā€œall the single-entry trailsā€ in Yangmingshan (Iā€™m not sure what that means) and all trails in Shimen District (ēŸ³é–€å€). They also provide links for most of the information and do an admirable job with lines like ā€œthe main trail was reported to be closed, but the latest report suggested otherwiseā€.

Found via this Facebook page, which almost makes me think I should log in to Facebook for the first time in years:

Below is Yangmingshanā€™s news page, Chinese (the English page has no news!). Iā€™m just using Google translate, but as far as I can tell, basically all parking is closed. Thereā€™s talk of ā€œillegal entry into the closed areaā€ but Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s actually closed.

My take on it is parking is closed and masks are required. If you can find a way to hike anyways (I dunno, getting up there on a crowded bus?), youā€™re not violating any rules. But again, my Chinese comprehension is crap.

https://www.ymsnp.gov.tw/main_ch/newsList.aspx?uid=12&pid=11

4 Likes