Open-Work Permit Application Procedures - Step by step

Thanks Surfer, but I am curious as to why you would have applied 4 times in the past 7 years. Isn’t once enough?

[quote=“Vannyel”]Thanks Surfer, but I am curious as to why you would have applied 4 times in the past 7 years. Isn’t once enough?[/quote]Yes, once is definitely enough. I have had my APRC and OWP since 2006. However, I have assisted numerous friends apply for the APRC and the OWP and continue to do so from time to time. In fact, I’m almost at the end of finishing what I hope to be my last APRC package for another friend. :bow:

So cool! I just got my APRC today and plan on applying for the OWP next week. Lots of great info here! Thanks for it all.

:bravo: Congratulations! :bravo:

:bravo: Congratulations! :bravo:[/quote]
Thanks!

[quote=“Vannyel”]So cool! I just got my APRC today and plan on applying for the OWP next week. Lots of great info here! Thanks for it all.[/quote]Congratulations and welcome to the club. Feels great doesn’t it? :bravo:

Stupid question – but if I mail everything to Taipei, do I just mail a copy of the one page of my passport with my photo and info or do I have to mail them copies of all those blank pages?

Only the photo/info page. :slight_smile:

Only the photo/info page. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Thanks that’s kinda what I thought but then again … :unamused:
I’ll get it sent off tomorrow!

[quote=“A-ha”][quote=“Vannyel”]Stupid question – but if I mail everything to Taipei, do I just mail a copy of the one page of my passport with my photo and info or do I have to mail them copies of all those blank pages?[/quote]Only the photo/info page. :slight_smile:[/quote]A-ha is absolutely correct! Just the info page is nesessary.

Sorry, but this is a work permit application at the CLA, not a APRC application, am I right? It has nothing to do with the NIA.

[quote=“A-ha”]Sorry, but this is a work permit application at the CLA, not a APRC application, am I right? It has nothing to do with the NIA.[/quote]I’m wrong. I mis-read the post. I was tired. I’m stupid. Post deleted. :blush:

:wink: No worries mate!

Here’s a question: I got a new passport recently and updated my APRC accordingly, since they very plainly tell you that you can be fined a sizable amount of money for not doing so within something like 15 days of issuance of the new passport. What about the work permit? I just had a look at mine the other day while dusting through the nether regions of my wallet and noticed that it bears the old passport number on it as pretty much the only identifying mark on it other than my name. I guess it needs to be updated as well?

[quote=“citizen k”]Here’s a question: I got a new passport recently and updated my APRC accordingly, since they very plainly tell you that you can be fined a sizable amount of money for not doing so within something like 15 days of issuance of the new passport. What about the work permit? I just had a look at mine the other day while dusting through the nether regions of my wallet and noticed that it bears the old passport number on it as pretty much the only identifying mark on it other than my name. I guess it needs to be updated as well?[/quote]Holy sheep shit Batman! I’m in the same boat as you. I had to get a new passport last summer and I never even thought about that. So, I just pulled out my laminated OWP that I dutifully keep behind my APRC and low and behold the passport number is the old one. Now what? I would go to the BEVT tomorrow or Wednesday, however I’m going back to Hawaii for July and August and I leave in two days so I have no time for this nonsense. I’ll tell you what. I’ll try to call Mr. Liu tomorrow at the BEVT and see what he has to say about this and I’ll share his knowledge if I get in touch with him.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Liu of the BEVT. That man is so damned cool! Anyway, here’s the scoop.

When your passport expires and you get a new one, your passport number obviously changes. Subsequently, you are required to get a new APRC to reflect the change.

As far as the Open-Work Permit goes…you MUST get a new one to reflect your new passport number as well! Here are the procedures.

1. Make a photocopy of your old passport. Just the picture and information page.

2. Make a photocopy of your new passport. Just the picture and the information page.

3. Make a photocopy of your new APRC, front and back.

4. Fill out a new Application Form For Hiring Foreigners (Personal) using your new passport number and don’t forget to affix a current picture to the application, as pictured below.

Go to the BEVT (see page 1 of this thread) during normal working hours and turn all your paperwork into Mr. Liu at the Information Counter conveniently located between Counter 5 and Counter 6. Don’t forget to take the following items.

1. Dutifully filled in application form.
  2. Current photo affixed to the application form.
  3. Old passport plus the copy.
  4. New passport plus the copy.
  5. New APRC plus the copy.
  6. The old Open-Work Permit with your old passport number on it. You must return it in order to be issued a new one.
  7. Your chop with your Chinese name on it.
  8. There is no fee for updating the OWP, so that’s a bonus because we have to pay a fee for updating our APRCs when we change our passports.

I don’t have time to do this before I leave for Hawaii tomorrow, so Citizen K, you’re the guinea pig for this op! Cue, Mission Impossible theme song!

Great. I’ll try to get around to it in the next couple weeks and post any feedback here. Thanks for the info, NCS. Have a great time on holiday! :bow:

Hey all! Thanks for all the useful information – the OWP came in the mail this week!

[quote=“Northcoast Surfer”][quote=“citizen k”]Here’s a question: I got a new passport recently and updated my APRC accordingly, since they very plainly tell you that you can be fined a sizable amount of money for not doing so within something like 15 days of issuance of the new passport. What about the work permit? I just had a look at mine the other day while dusting through the nether regions of my wallet and noticed that it bears the old passport number on it as pretty much the only identifying mark on it other than my name. I guess it needs to be updated as well?[/quote]Holy sheep shit Batman! I’m in the same boat as you. I had to get a new passport last summer and I never even thought about that. So, I just pulled out my laminated OWP that I dutifully keep behind my APRC and low and behold the passport number is the old one. Now what? I would go to the BEVT tomorrow or Wednesday, however I’m going back to Hawaii for July and August and I leave in two days so I have no time for this nonsense. I’ll tell you what. I’ll try to call Mr. Liu tomorrow at the BEVT and see what he has to say about this and I’ll share his knowledge if I get in touch with him.[/quote]So, I just went to the BEVT today to apply for my updated OWP so that it will have my new passport number on it. Nice to say that the procedures for applying for the OWP are still the same and completely hassle free! Guess who was there when I walked into the BEVT to process my application? Mr. Liu! That’s right! He personally processed my most recent OWP application and he’s still the greatest! Thanks Mr. Liu! :bow:

Such an awesome post! Thanks Mr. Surfer! :bow: