Open Work Permit Issues

Sorry for not making things clearer, I was specifically asking about the OWP those on APRC can apply for. Is there anybody on this list who is not on a spouse visa, has an APRC and OWP, and has used his OWP for job application or done some self-employed work based on it. I’d be interested to hear any experiences, run-ins with authorities, etc.

Thanks,

Yali

Ironlady:

I recently applied for an Article 51 Work Permit using a non-marriage based APRC. I received a littlle work permit card and am using it to work at two places other than my main place of employment. Maybe the rules have changed (again)?

Personally, I tend to think that this was the Cosmic Wake-Up Call to me to Get Out of Taiwan. :smiley: Of course, I guess the possibility that the rules have changed wouldn’t be totally out of the question…although of course Taiwanese interpretations of the law are usually so uniform…<slap, slap> I think it’s time for bed! I’m obviously hallucinating here!

Look it’s quite simple:

You can get an Open Work Permit if you are playing in the match this afternoon and have moved your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you’re not getting your hair cut, unless you’ve got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, you need to collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you’ve had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you.

[quote=“hexuan”]Look it’s quite simple:

You can get an Open Work Permit if you are playing in the match this afternoon and have moved your clothes down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you’re not getting your hair cut, unless you’ve got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, you need to collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you’ve had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you.[/quote]

Sounds like too much Monty Python to me… but what the hell… the people here don’t know what the meaning of life is… and they’ve got 6000 years of history to back them up…

PS My ARC had stamped on it… Not Allowed to Work in the ROC… Spouse ARC’s used to have that stamped on them in Chinese… before the new rules were implemented… that’s why I just gave up and became an ROC national…

So an OWP is only available for permanent residents, do I have this correct?

There are three criteria, though most of us only qualify under the last one, those with permanent residence:

[quote=“Employment Services Act”]Article 51

1. A refugee permitted to stay in the territory of the Republic of China;
  2. One permitted to live with his/her lineal relative who has a registered domestic residence in the Republic of China;
  3. One permitted to stay permanently in the territory of the Republic of China.

The Foreign Workers as referred to in Subparagraphs 1, 3 and 4 of Paragraph 1 of this Article may, without their Employers

Thanks, that’s exactly what I needed to know. :slight_smile: