Opening a bank account online

Did you know that you can open up a bank account online in Taiwan?
Here is how you do it!

https://livingintw.com/opening-a-bank-account-online-as-an-arc-aprc-holder-in-taiwan/

Yeah but the article just says that foreigners canā€™t do itā€¦

However, the same canā€™t be said for APRC or ARC holders who despite having an ID number registered with the government cannot open an account online.

5 Likes

edit: I misunderstood. Itā€™s a rant about people not being able to open a digital bank account even with ARC or APRC.

This is an ad for a digital bank. Also that digital bank still requires an ARC. So pretty deceptive article.

Also clicking anywhere on that page keeps opening a new page, an online store. Could be some phishing.

1 Like

Iā€™ll let the author know. He is testing out some ads and something has gone wrong on that front.

Howeverā€¦ no itā€™s not an add for a digital bank. Read again

It explains what foreigners miss out on

The ad situation will be fixed tomorrow he said

I didnā€™t say you could :rofl: just pointing out what youā€™re missing out on.
Ability to open an account within 10 minutes
3% interest on savings
0.5% cash back on debit cardā€¦
Etc

Edit. Weā€™ll kind of. but didnā€™t mention the requirementsā€¦

Sorry, but this reads like spam to a low-quality blog post in my opinion.

2 Likes

I understand. The idea was to point out the discrimination

There are already lots of threads about that here. So why the need to start a new topic just about that particular blog post?

Has anyone been able to open a bank account with LINE Bank using an ARC? - that thread is 1000x more informative than the blog post (which just reads like a bad rant with a deceptive titleā€¦)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s deba

Thatā€™s debatable. The thread says nothing about the features you miss out on

I was debating about posting this, because it makes it easy to identify me.

Anyways, from my experience living in EU as a third-worlder. I got the same ā€œdiscriminationā€ you guys complained about in this forum. Like:

• not being able to open an account in certain banks
  • not being able to open a digital bank account despite being a legal resident
  • not being able to open brokerage account
  • not being able to get real or good credit cards

Havenā€™t tried getting a loan or mortgage.

Of course, thereā€™s always an excuse. Language barrier, income, credit score, etc. So same shit like the stuffs you read here.

Obviously, not all non-EU experience the same discrimination in EU banking system. For that I say, be grateful you were born in one of the ā€œgoodā€ country.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll face the same problem even in the US and Australia/New Zealand.

1 Like

The clicking problem is solved.

What are you talking about? The online banks are open to ALL ā€˜residents!!!ā€™

Againā€¦ NO YOU WONā€™T. When I was working in the bank in Australia we were VERY careful not to be seen as discriminatory. Even working holiday visa workers got credit cards. (albeit low limits due to their incomeā€¦)

I donā€™t think so. And even in the EU countries, the local human rights commissions have teeth and can fine without suing.

Taiwan does not afford us this luxury.

1 Like