Opening a business in Taiwan: need Taiwanese partner?

Quick question

I am a foreigner with ARC

To open and run business here (thinking about Bar or import) do I need to form a Taiwanese company with a Taiwanese partner or I can do it under my USA company?

Thanks

You can do both and even have a third option without a local partner.
Using your US company involves probably lots of paper work, money transfers etc., and in the end you have to setup a company anyways.

But a bar or import is really extremely different.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

You do not need a Taiwanese partner here to start a company doing exports or imports in general.

Thanks all.

So when the taiwanese partner is mandatory?

If you want to be screwed or when you need to negotiate protection money with some gangster

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

If you own a business (a registered company), do you automatically have the right to work in it? Or does the Taiwanese government allow you to invest but require you to hire Taiwanese to do all of the work?

Note, for purposes of this question, the foreign devil is on a work-related ARC and does NOT want to quit his day job to get a visa tied to the new company.

[quote=“Varmint”]If you own a business (a registered company), do you automatically have the right to work in it? Or does the Taiwanese government allow you to invest but require you to hire Taiwanese to do all of the work?

Note, for purposes of this question, the foreign devil is on a work-related ARC and does NOT want to quit his day job to get a visa tied to the new company.[/quote]
No automatic working rights.
It’ll probably be the same as for anyone else having a work related ARC, the employer (your business) of the second job needs to apply for a work permit and you need to have it mentioned on your ARC.

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

You don’t need a Taiwanese partner except in some highly regulated businesses like telecom. There are some other situations such as Buxibans where you will effectively need a partner.

You can set up a branch of your US company. There are tax advantages if you need to remit profits back to the US company.

If you invest NT$500,000, you can get a work permit in the first year as the company’s director/manager.

Thereafter the company needs to generate NT$3 million in sales or US$500 million in import/export revenue to continue sponsoring you for your managerial work permit.

There are higher minimum capital and revenue requirements if the company hires you as an employee.

It may also be possible for you to set up a representative office of your US company depending on how your business works. There are no minimum capital requirements for the work permit for a representative. There is a very detailed thread on this but your business model probably requires at least a branch.

You can go to the Investment Commission for help on how to do all this if you are patient and persistent. Otherwise hire an accountant (cheaper) or a lawyer (more service) to help you do all this.

After you get a work permit, you can get a residence permit (ARC).