Opening accounts at Banks for Foreigners

at the DMV gotta say it went quite smooth instead when converting my driving licence (besides had to retake at the stupid photo machine the pictures…). They were just a bit puzzled by the fact that as an Italian I was converting a HK driving licence (which I even had the correct consular certification from the TECO in HK of). 20 mins wait, the officer going all over the place to talk to superiors, superiors of superiors, but I got both my car and ordinary heavy motorcycles licence as expected (too bad very annoying distinction of ordinary and large heavy motorcycles, the distinction of ccs should be more sensible, below 250 there is nothing of fun basically, only scooters, put at least at 500cc)

3 Likes

me too, i came to Cathay Bank with my ARC and passport and was out the door in 25 minutes.

1 Like

Out of topic but this reminds me one time when I was flying back to Taiwan from US, they were checking my APRC, and asking me where is the expiration date. I told him it says permanent because there is no expiration. The dude annoyingly spend another 10-15 minutes looking for it, until his manager told him it is fine. Some people really have no sense and just stubborn and dumb.

4 Likes

My last trip in the Philippines the chap checking me in was demanding to see my ARC. Even though I told him I’m an ROC citizen and he is holding my ROC passport the sill chap insisted I needed an ARC.

I called for a supervisor. The chap took off with my passport asking other staff why I didn’t need an ARC.

5 Likes

LOL that’s even worse :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

White dude with Taiwan passport. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes

I can’t wait to use mine! So far all it’s done is sit on my ironing board that has become a makeshift desk :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I will assume you were a foreigner when you opened a bank account with O-Bank.

I have just done the same yesterday (2024/3/25) in person as a foreigner at their Hsinchu (Zhubei) branch and received their account opening email today. I waited for their phone call today as it took over 1 hour yesterday to just put in my details from my ARC and passport and take a bunch of photos. Then I waited for another 30 minutes but they still hadn’t finished processing my account opening and I had to leave for work hence they said they would call me.

The purpose of the call was to confirm that the account has been opened.

The email has my account opening information and somehow my date of birth is incorrect in the application so I informed them during the call that it needs to be corrected. Now I need to wait for the correction before I can proceed with accessing online banking.

3 Likes

such a charade tbh…

At airlines frontline staff don’t want to mess up, because if they let someone board who is inadmissable they are in big doo doo.

Guy

1 Like

Just juicy story from a banana republic on that.

My wife just got deported from Colombia after being refused entry. According to the foreign affairs ministry of Colombia, Tw nationals r afforded conditional visa free entry, but since October last year, when a very pro china gov took over, basically this conditional entry is very… Conditional.

She had been held up at the Medellin airport for 1 day in a detention room and sent back to her origin airport in Chile. Ground staff in Chile allowed her to check in since technically TW nationals r not required to get a visa, but Colombia border authorities just refused entry.

What a shit show, but at least she was provided food and water and a couch to sleep on, hear stories where these prolonged detentions ended up much worse. Now finally on her way back to taipei.

1 Like

That’s f*cked

1 Like